Snorkeling Equipment Question??

golfpi

I am planning to buy my own snorkel equipment instead of renting them.

What are some good brand names to look for and what price can I expect to pay for a decent mask, dry snorkel and fins?

Thanks in advance for any help

I too decided to buy equipment for my Caribbean cruise coming up in April. I first browsed at a dive shop to better determine what I needed. I found the prices much better on the web site snorkelcity.com. or snorkelmart.com I called them and discussed my needs before ordering, and they were very helpful with great prices. Get silicone skirt for a tight fit (rather than PVC or rubber).It arrived in 5 days. I ordered Rx mask for $42 more so I can see clearly. I decided this would probably be the only time I purchase a mask, so I might as well see properly. I got the dry snorkel that has a valve on the top to keep water out, and allows you to swim underwater without swallowing salt water. I tried mine in the jacuzzi, and they both fit well.

Good Luck

I've been searching around the various snorkel equipment shops online for the past couple of weeks. It was a daunting task task at first to weed through all the various snorkels and masks available. I finally decided on getting an Ocean Master Flex Dry snorkel and an Ocean Master Equalizer View 3 mask. The best prices I could find were at http://www.leisurepro.com.

The scuba.com website describes dry snorkels like this:

http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp_category_39_categoryname_Snorkels

"There is only one 100% dry snorkel on the market, the Ocean Master Dry Snorkel. It has a patented self regulating valve that senses the difference in weight between air and water, so the snorkel top "shuts off" when submerged and automatically "opens up" when you surface. It is a fail safe and time tested device that allows a snorkeler or diver the benefit from never having to clear a snorkel of water when it is in use. This snorkel is guaranteed to be 100% dry."

Other snorkels seem to "semi-dry" - in that they mainly just deflect water at the top but it looks like they'll still fill up underwater.

There are two types of Ocean Master dry snorkels - flex and non-flex. The non-flex seems to go for $30, the flex for $40. But leisurepro had them for $29 and $30 respectively so I elected to grab the flex version for $1 more.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OMRDSF.html

Mask-wise, the Ocean Master looked like a decent mask and once I tried it, it fit great. These seem to go for $40 almost everywhere.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/OMRE3.html

Can someone in the know explain what "Vented" means in terms of snorkel gear? I have lots of rewards points on my visa card, and they offer the following:

Discovery III SnorkelPro Mask and Snorkelclearpixel.gifclearpixel.gifEndless underwater cruising. Islander mask features three windows for fantastic forward/ peripheral vision and hydrodynamical designed Cruiser vented snorkel reduces drag.

So, can you tell me, would this be worth trading in the points, or should I just get a certificate for dinner out at a local restaurant? I've only snorkeled once so far, but I absolutely loved it. Figured bringing my own snorkel and mask won't take up too much room in my luggage, and I'd really prefer my own private gear. Not too fond of shared equipment!

TIA :)

I'm not sure exactly what they mean by "vented" but I'm guessing they mean that the top of the snorkel has little vents cut into the side to better protect the snorkel from wave splashes. I think this is a pretty common design but I could only find a couple of snorkel makers that actually called their snorkels "vented".

If that's not it, maybe they're using "vented" in place of "purge" - which means the snorkel has a small one-way valve below the mouthpiece through which you can blow any excess water that gets in the snorkel.

1st time cruiser leaving 5/2 and this is my first posting here. Does anyone know specifically how the cruise lines clean the snorkel equipment - the mouthpiece? I am trying to decide whether it is worth being able to return equipment to the rental person on the island and head off to the next adventure or hauling my own snorkel equipment around/returning to the ship. Any thoughts?

Here is what I know about snorkel design. There are several vents on snorkel equipment. A vented snorkel is designed to minimize water coming down the 'J' tube that sticks up out of the water but still allow air to pass. This is accomplished with a simple angled baffle design. Normally water does not come down the tube unless you dive below the water surface or angle your head far enough to let the tip dip into the water. Keeping a slight positive air pressure in the tube while diving below the surface prevents the tube filling with water. Another vent is at the lowest point of the 'J' tube that you breath through. As air pressure goes through the tube, a 1-way valve in a small depression releases any water that gets in. Another vent in the snorkel mask releases water that gets into the mask. Since your nose is inside the mask, exhaling through your nose pushes water out the bottom of the mask. Some masks do not have a valve for this but this technique works anyway.

Snorkels are fine to buy online. If you are inexperienced spend the extra money and get a "Dry" one. It will improve your experience. Masks are all VERY different. What may fit my large melon would probably leak continually for you. Spend a few extra bucks and get your mask from a reputable dive shop that can help you get properly fitted. Different brands of fins can fit differently also. A 7-8 in Mares may fit like a 9-10 from Cressi. This is not as critical as the fit of the mask but after a few blisters it can make you a lot more comfortable after the dive.......No I don't own a dive shop. I'm speaking from my own hard learned experience.

1st time cruiser leaving 5/2 and this is my first posting here. Does anyone know specifically how the cruise lines clean the snorkel equipment - the mouthpiece? I am trying to decide whether it is worth being able to return equipment to the rental person on the island and head off to the next adventure or hauling my own snorkel equipment around/returning to the ship. Any thoughts?

Not sure how it is cleaned, I am gonna guess if anything a fresh water rinse.

I suggest you go buy your own stuff. You can get mask, snorkel, fins for under $100. A great investment if you plan to snorkel a lot. Plus the rental stuff is generally crap. I would prioritze in this order: 1. snorkel, rental Snorkel won't be of the "dry" variety and since you are new you'll prob get a few mouthfuls of water. 2. mask, much more important when diving as you can't lift up head and drain water, 3. fins, mostly a comfort issue as far as which to buy. You'll be suprised how much more comfortable you are in your own gear, and you'll be able to relax and enjoy your time much more.

At the very least you can head to a dive shop and buy a mouthpiece to put on your rental for $3-6.

And do remember, NEVER touch coral, and leave nothing but bubbles.

I know everyone says go to a dive shop to get a mask. I went to Sam's club and bought a set with a dry snorkel, fins, mask and bag for $40.00. The mask fits just fine. The women's set works well for my wife. I went to a local dive shop and would have spent more than $40.00 for the fins, snorkel and bag. So even if the mask at Sam's Club didn't work well, it would have still been cheaper to buy the set at Sam's and risk having to buy a different mask at a dive shop. It was worth the gamble for me and it paid off.

The problem with buying off brand stuff from Sam's etc---is what happens when the strap breaks (unless you got footed fins).

What happens when your mask strap breaks---

Just food for thought---Yes dive shops carry generic straps that fit most staps.

But when it comes to straps for your fin--it is different.

I am a divemaster at a dive shop in FL and we deal with these issues everyday.

I will say if you break a strap on a new pair of fins or mask usually our vendors either replace the strap or replace the mask for free no problem whatsoever no questions asked.

If I were going to snorkel or dive on a regular basis I would probably agree with you (divadiverfl) and buy better more expensive equipment at a dive shop. But for myself and a lot of others asking for advice, we probably will use the equipment only occasionly and can't justifiy spending that much more money. For a serious diver or even snorkeler building a relationship with a dive shop would be a great idea. I just want equipment that I know will be clean and a little better quality than the rentals, so I can enjoy my vacation.

This just came in the mail today: http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/usdivavdryma.html

I think, for all I know about masks and snorkels, it will do the job. Mask seems a little heavy, but then I don't know what a mask is supposed to feel like. Last time I snorkeled was in HI in 1994. First time, too, so figured this cheaper set will be fine. Now if I can just get over the gag reflex with the snorkel. Hopefully the fish will be so entertaining I'll forget all about it.

Problem with this set is - there are no instructions to speak of, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to fit - where on my head, or very little about it. Meant to order an additional strap, but forgot.

Anyone with specific instructions for a snorkel novice?

Thanks!

Archived