Are cruises intended for only seniors citizens, couples and families with kids???

SWLinPHX

Hi...

I started a thread on another board that has grown leaps and bounds (rather controversially) to 84 posts and counting in just over 24 hours! It was regarding regarding Disclosing Age Demographic Before Booking http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1324356. Is the only way someone who is not a senior citizen, a couple or a parent with kids and who wants to be assured they have peers onboard to spend extra money to book a charter "specialty" singles cruise? Is there any time when you have a choice during the year other than senior citizens or little kids??

Well, most cruises *aren't* just senior citizens and families with kids, so I'm not sure I see the relevance of the question. You'll nearly always have peers onboard on most cruise ships, no matter what the demographics. You may not be able to find them easily, but that's a different issue.

(The question reminds me a lot of people here who keep asking why there are no single guys on cruises, or how come they can never find singles on the cruises they're on -- invariably there *are* single guys and other singles on these cruises, but finding and meeting them takes effort and luck...)

Generally speaking, if you pay attention to the cruise line, time of year you're sailing, and where it sails from and to, you can make a pretty good guess as to the rough demographic of the ship, and book accordingly. A travel agent is really helpful with that.

You want a party atmosphere with 20s and 30s and a larger number of singles? Take a 3-4 day cruise out of Florida on Carnival or RCCL, especially over weekends. (If you want *lots* of college age singles - go during spring break...) You want a cruise with a lot more middle aged people, but still some nightlife? Take a week long cruise on any of the non-luxury lines. You want fewer kids, make sure you go when it's not a school break, and ideally, go on something which starts and ends on a weekday. (My 8 night Carnival Miracle cruise which left on a Wednesday in February had virtually no kids -- but plenty of people in my age group...) You want a lot of older people and a lot less kids? Go for a cruise on a luxury line, or on a longer than 1 week cruise during the school year. You want a lot of kids around? Go on Disney. You can generally find what you want if you look for it.

And if you're *really* concerned about finding peers (especially singles) - don't go on a cruise to find them. There are lots of other vacations which are more likely to have what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

All valid points. However, I should say I've done three cruises and the only one I did that wasn't chartered (and had 20's-50's avg.) was my first. It was all seniors, except for one honeymooning couple in their 20's and my friend and I! It was also 5 days straight sea in the beginning. So you can understand my concern.

Also, you can't compare someone saying "there weren't any single people" to "everyone was mostly seniors or little kids". One is something you can plainly see and pretty much tell from eyesight, especially after several days onboard.

Being that I am a first time cruiser and going single and traveling solo in Feb this was my same concern when booking. On trip advisor for resorts you can read reviews and see the demographics and I was hoping for the same for cruises only to find that was not the case. So I am taking a chance and hoping for the best, regardless I am excited to go and know I will have a great time as I so need a vacation.

Sungirl10, don't misunderstand. My first cruise was so exciting (it was transPacific and also my first time to both Canada & Hawaii) that I would've enjoyed it no matter what. I just wanted a bit more variety in demographic next time. You will have a good time; of course as discussed demographics has to do with time of year, length of cruise, region and cruiseline. Which one are you going on?

SWlinPHX it looks like I will be on the same cruise that you have listed below. The Navigator of the Seas Feb 7.

As I said before I am so looking forward to it. I knew when I booked it that there could be a chance that there may not be a lot of travelers in my same demographics, but I really wanted to do a cruise, so I decided to just go for it.

Archived