Can I Leave Luggage at Port Post-Cruise?

JeannetteC

We'll have the morning in Miami before flying out at 1:20PM. Can we just leave our luggage at the Port while we spend a few hours elsewhere? We'd take a taxi back for the luggage before going to the airport. It seems to me that the luggage just sits in the building and no one would care. If that doesn't work or if we take our own luggage off of the ship to get off early, do you have any suggestions where we can leave the luggage? Thanks.

I don´t know the port of Miami, but at all other ports I´ve been to it would have been absolutely impossible to leave the luggage at the port. They are already starting to handle the luggage for the following cruise from about 10:00 or 11:00.

I would also think that it wouldn´t be allowed for security reasons.

Is this true for American in San Juan as well?

AA does check in your bags at the port. I'm not sure about other airlines. However, they do not have the ability to print out a boarding pass. So, if for some reason they don't have a boarding pass for you, they cannot accept your bags. :confused: They did not have our boarding passes, so we went to our orignial plan which was to go to a place in Old San Juan where you can go via taxi and they will keep the luggage for you. I beleive it is a jewelry store/restaurant. The concierge on AOS told us about it. We were going to try it last month, but it rained so hard the day we got back to San Juan, we just admitted total defeat and headed back, luggage in hand, to the airport.

--judy

When we cruised the Radiance out of FLL last year, we mistakenly took the wrong suitcase. We returned to the port 3 hours later to switch and we saw that there were a dozen or more pieces of luggage still sitting there from our cruise waiting to be claimed. That's where I got the idea of just leaving the luggage at the port for a few hours. I am flying American so I'll try to get a boarding pass in advance and check my luggage at the port. Thanks!!!

When we got off the Empress in January, we tried to check in with AA at the pier, and they told us that we could only do that if we had the transfer from the ship. We had heard about Barrachina resturant/store in OSJ, so we took a chance and got a cab over there. They were wonderful. We dropped off our bags around 9 am, and walked all over the town. We got back there and had a nice lunch around 1, then went to the airport. We would reccommend this to others, for the cost of 2 taxi rides, we were able to spend the last day of our vacation relaxing, rather that stuck in an airport!

When we got off the Empress in January, we tried to check in with AA at the pier, and they told us that we could only do that if we had the transfer from the ship. We had heard about Barrachina resturant/store in OSJ, so we took a chance and got a cab over there. They were wonderful. We dropped off our bags around 9 am, and walked all over the town. We got back there and had a nice lunch around 1, then went to the airport. We would reccommend this to others, for the cost of 2 taxi rides, we were able to spend the last day of our vacation relaxing, rather that stuck in an airport!

This is correct, as I was in Barrachina's in October postcruise and noticed luggaged coming and going as we were sitting out in the porch area for lunch. By the way that is a great place to have lunch.....food was delicious! Nice way to end a cruise vacation!

So if we are scheduled on AA and get our transfers from RCCL we can check our luggage at the pier in San Juan? Is that what I am understanding? Do you need boarding passes also? When can you get them? Does AA come on board the ship as some do prior to disembarkation? We have a late flight back and were wondering what to do with our luggage if we did not want to go to the airport? Thanks for the sharing.

Does this tip about AA checking bags at the pier only apply in San Juan? What about Miami? Are the transfers you are referring to the ones that come from RCI for transportaion from the port to the airport? Is there an AA rep at the pier with boarding passes?

Thanks

Is SJU and MIA the only ports that you can check your luggage if flying on American? I'm in a panic because we are flying out of Orlando and have a 5:30 p.m. flight and don't know what to do with our luggage. I thought we could check them in anytime but now someone told me you can only check your bags in 4 hours before your flight! We would have transfers from the ship as well. I also have reserved a day room at the Hyatt but that's not going to work if I can't check in my bags! Any help is appreciated!

Archived