How far to Sapphire Beach from dock?

Kre8tiv1

Hi,

We'll be on the Eurodam and would like to go to Sapphire Beach. So that I can budget my time accordingly (always have to leave some time for shopping afterall :D), I'd like to know how long it takes to get from where the Eurodam docks to Sapphire Beach.

Thanks much,

Lin

I dont know where your ship docks as Im a carinval girl and we port in Havensight. We always take the local bus so I have to factior in wait time and I usually make it in less than 30 mins. If you are taking a taxi I wouldnt think more than 20.

Sapphire is a fantastic beach if you want quiet serenity. There are not alot of toys, people, no bands or vendors all over.

ry%3D315

Eurodam docks at Crown Bay and I am estimating, it was about 30 mins to get there by $2 taxi with a 15 min walk to where you catch the taxi.

Coming back it might take an hour for the taxi to come back, so leave yourself enough time. On the way back to the ship, you can get off at the flea market ( you will see the flea market on your way to Sapphire Beach - its in the town area on your left)

We left the beach in good time as we were not sure how long it will take to get back to Crown Bay and on the way back, we made it in good time (maybe an hour or less to get to the flea market) and got off at the flea market and spent time there. Very worth while to pick up a few t shirts, etc.

The wait for the taxi from the flea market was minimal, they come around every 5 mins. And from the flea market the ride was maybe 20 mins if that. Then its again a 15 easy walk back to the ship.

Enjoy ! We had a fabulous day in St Thomas.

• 2 months later...
Eurodam docks at Crown Bay and I am estimating, it was about 30 mins to get there by $2 taxi with a 15 min walk to where you catch the taxi.

Coming back it might take an hour for the taxi to come back, so leave yourself enough time. On the way back to the ship, you can get off at the flea market ( you will see the flea market on your way to Sapphire Beach - its in the town area on your left)

We left the beach in good time as we were not sure how long it will take to get back to Crown Bay and on the way back, we made it in good time (maybe an hour or less to get to the flea market) and got off at the flea market and spent time there. Very worth while to pick up a few t shirts, etc.

The wait for the taxi from the flea market was minimal, they come around every 5 mins. And from the flea market the ride was maybe 20 mins if that. Then its again a 15 easy walk back to the ship.

Enjoy ! We had a fabulous day in St Thomas.

Where did you get the $2 taxi from when you docked at Crown Bay?

We were just in St. Thomas last week, and the $2 bus was one of my favorites! We might have been able to get it from somewhere around Crown Point, but don't think so, as it circles the island clockwise, and you want to go the opposite way to Sapphire. So, my hubby and two boys and I got a taxi bus at the stand outside the cruise center, $5 pp to downtown. The taxi parked downtown and immediately 5 guys were vying to sign us up for tours. Some sounded promising--$20 pp for a tour of the island, 2 hours at Sapphire, lots of picture taking opportunities of Magen's Bay and other points on the island. We almost did that, but we were there at 9:00 am and the tour didn't start until 11:30 am so my teenage son balked. Wah. So, then I remembered reading about the $2 bus on CC right here, and we stopped in a local coffee shop for a coke for abovementioned whiny one, and I asked two men at a table about the bus. Their directions: bus stop going east across from Pizza Hut and a bank, about 2 blocks south and east of where the taxi drops you off downtown. Bus stops are obvious--in the median, a bus shelter. Remember, in St. Thomas drive on left, so bus will pull over to median on left going east. Easy to tell local bus because locals, not white/middle age American/European cruise people on board! Also, ask bus driver. $2 bus? They'll let you know. Then, if you really get nervous during ride out to Sapphire about where the stop is, talk to people on bus. SO friendly, and usually you'll find that their niece went to school with your granddaughter in the States or you both lived 1/2 mile from each other at one time!! My husband is a huge talker, and he had people from all over telling him their stories--all very cool. Actually, even a not huge people person could solicit advice from the locals on the bus. they seemed extremely friendly and helpful to me, ready to help if anyone uttered a question. Lots of opinions came at us right away!! The bus goes to an Office Max plaza for a second, then it climbs around curves, and then it is at Coki (plan for a 10 minute walk in to the beach) then at Sapphire (2 minutes, downhill!). In my opinion, the way to go--it was great.!! OVerall from downtown, 20-30 minutes. We caught it on the way back from Sapphire, too--then we breezed through downtown and asked people on the bus when we should get off for the Crown Point pier, and one woman made us her project. She hit the doorbell (like pulling the cord on the bus, but it looks like a doorbell on the ceiling of the bus) for us when it came our turn. We got off at the back of the Pueblo grocery store and then walked in to the pier which took about 10 minutes at a slow pace (tired!). So, great for mobile, semi-energetic people. With anyone with mobility or respiratory/cardio issues, I'd say stick with the regular taxi. but so much fun for local flavor.

I don't know where your ship docks as Im a carnival girl and we port in Havensight. We always take the local bus so I have to factior in wait time and I usually make it in less than 30 mins. If you are taking a taxi I wouldnt think more than 20.

Sapphire is a fantastic beach if you want quiet serenity. There are not alot of toys, people, no bands or vendors all over.

ry%3D315

Hey Cool Cruiser! I'm a Carnival girl too! We go on our first cruise in 22 days. So looking forward to Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas. I saw where you took the bus. Is that close to the dock? Any directions? Did you take the bus back to port? Thanks for any info.

We went to Sapphire Beach last week on Carnival Victory. It took us approximately 30 minutes to get there. Traffic was moderately heavy. Be warned, taxi's drive fast, roads are windy and they drive on the left. We, along with fellow passengers in the open air bus, were a little nauseated there and back. But, Sapphire is worth the trip! It was a great beach. Certainly less crowded than most. Negotiate and re-negotiate your cab fare... always. Have fun, you'll love Sapphire!

How much was your taxi/bus? both ways please, taxis readily available there to go back?

I believe we paid $10pp to Sapphire Beach. When we exited Victory, taxis are at the ready to take you wherever you wish to go. No problem whatsoever getting one. We informed one taxi driver we wanted to beach-it the entire day. He already had his open-air taxi half-filled with people who were willing to do a 1.5 hr. island tour/beach w/him as our guide. We weren't interested in that... just beach time. Don't settle if you want to just go to Sapphire or any other beach. We found another taxi guy with his taxi filled w/just beachgoers so we joined them. Taxi driver's will approach you(almost bombard you) so be ready to negotiate your fare and where you want to go. Have fun!

p.s. We were very grateful we didn't do the 1.5 hr. island tour, then beach time. I would have been loosing my lunch with those windy roads.

Archived