Perfect example of why you should get a passport.

Sue L

We're talking about air travel and going on a cruise. Ever try to walk to Aruba?

Hence the "if it that is possible" in my post.

You can fly to Aruba with a passport and take a boat back to the US if you so choose. You said the exact opposite which isn't even close to the truth.

Hence the "if it that is possible" in my post.

You can fly to Aruba with a passport and take a boat back to the US if you so choose. You said the exact opposite which isn't even close to the truth.

I'm not getting into it. You understand the point.

The enhanced license unless you live near Canada or Mexico is not worth it. It is NOT a passport. The only true passport that you can go anywhere and fly, cruise, etc is the passport book.

Yes, realized this after reading about the enhanced drivers license. So I will just get the passport. Why pay twice.

If you have a passport, you cannot travel to a different country by air and return by boat - I think that's what the point of the OP is/was.

More room for us! ;)

HORRAY!

if i am not mistaken, what you meant to say is if you do not have a passport you cannot travel to a different country by boat and return by air. this is the point op was making.

??

FWIW if you did not have a passport and were stranded in another country, you are not stuck either, a visit to the local consulate or embassy and you will have temp travel documents to re-enter the US...there of course will be significant delays as opposed to those who had valid passports. They will never deny a US citizen entry back in to the country.

From the reports I've read on this site, people in those situations almost always end up getting passports in order to get home. It is done in an expedited manner, but they do have to get a passport.

You're right though, no US citizen will be permanently barred from coming back home.

From the reports I've read on this site, people in those situations almost always end up getting passports in order to get home. It is done in an expedited manner, but they do have to get a passport.

You're right though, no US citizen will be permanently barred from coming back home.

While they can and do issue a regular passport they do issue a Emergency Passport which has a limited period of validity. It looks almost identical to a regular passport from the outside. On the inside it will say, "This passport was issued outside the United States of America for a limited validity period".

In extreme emergencies the Embassy/Consulate will contact both the airline and CBP at your destination and make them aware you are travelling without a valid passport (like say you were sick/injured and returning home for treatment).

Archived