Tiny Church near Mahahual

izzypooch

We stopped at Costa Maya about a month ago on a cruise and took a jeep and beach excursion. On the way to the beach, we drove by a tiny, one-room stucco church right by the road. The doors were open and as we went by you could see the alter inside. It was located close to the road and I believe there were other building close by. It was really a neat little church.

Now I don't know where we were, what road or anything, but I think we might have been going through Mahahual.

We are going back to Costa Maya next week and my husband and I would love to locate this church again in order to get a better look.

Would, by chance, anybody know the church I'm talking about? If so, do you know the road it is on so we could sort of give directions to a taxi driver?

• 5 months later...
We stopped at Costa Maya about a month ago on a cruise and took a jeep and beach excursion. On the way to the beach, we drove by a tiny, one-room stucco church right by the road. The doors were open and as we went by you could see the alter inside. It was located close to the road and I believe there were other building close by. It was really a neat little church.

Now I don't know where we were, what road or anything, but I think we might have been going through Mahahual.

We are going back to Costa Maya next week and my husband and I would love to locate this church again in order to get a better look.

Would, by chance, anybody know the church I'm talking about? If so, do you know the road it is on so we could sort of give directions to a taxi driver?

==============

it's located South of Mahahaul up near Julie Minters Dive Center, right hand side of the road next door to a small bodega & has a cross on the top. It's maintained with flowers by the locals there & their are many statues, benches for meditation/prayer/reflection, etc. & a box for money offerings plus you can light candles buy them at the bodega next door.

It's a little temple on the main road going south past Mahahual - almost to a little community called Punta Tam. As a matter of fact, it may be in Punta Tam. It's probably the 3 or 4 KM mark south of Mahahual?

Archived