Is a BOB stroller too big for the Jewel of the Seas?

angielane

So we already own a BOB stroller that we love for our soon-to-be one year old...and seems like a "good fit" for exploring while we're at ports...but I'm concerned that it's too big for the ship.

We're sailing on the Jewel of the Seas in March to the Caribbean.

Any suggestions? (Or cheap alternatives if we're to buy something else :)

bob.jpg.0427ced5daf100accd16053de951b05c.jpg

That's likely to be pretty unwieldy onboard. If the wheelbase is close to 24" (looks to me like it might be, but I don't know), you could have some issues navigating the passageways with all the other passengers and cabin stewards carts. The public areas can be quite crowded and busy; elevators aren't exactly huge, so you could have some longer wait times and difficulty with the "in and out" part of it; the tables are usually pretty close in the dining room and buffets, so you'd need to find out if there is a designated stroller "parking" areas outside the venues; you must be able to collapse and store the stroller in your cabin as they cannot be left parked outside your door or in an alcove, etc.

I know that probably sounds as if to discourage you, but it's really not. There will likely be other parents with large strollers onboard, so you wouldn't be alone. Of course, that could mean more wait times and more tricky negotiating, but there will no doubt be wheelchairs and scooters onboard too and most people seem to manage just fine. While we wouldn't have used one that large onboard, some parents do and they don't mind the challenges. If you decide it's best for you, then by all means bring it and use it. I would just ask that you be very aware of how far out the wheels are, especially the front one. You could accidently inflict some discomfort on fellow passengers in the often crowded and hustling spaces onboard.

beachchick

Some really good food for thought! I was thinking we'd use the stroller mostly for excursions...and mostly the Ergo on the ship. Does that seem realistic?

Also most of our ports are scheduled to be docked...but Grand Cayman is tendered. Any thoughts about this? Is it difficult to take the stroller on the tender?

How old is your little one?

We're bringing a toddler, somewhere around 20 months, and plan to bring a Maclaren Volo or Baby Jogger City Micro. We want something that can be used in the airport, on the ship, and potentially in port (though we aren't necessarily planning on excursions with the little one). We're looking for lightweight, narrow, collapses with one hand, easy to carry folded, not completely stripped of features.

We were thinking about taking our Bob stoller (it's so easy to manuever when the front wheel is not locked) and it's great on uneven payment, sand (we've taken it to the beach before), etc. but after reading this I think we're going to opt for our Maclaren Quest and hope that it do OK. We'll be on the Carnival Destiny on Saturday - stopping in Ochos Rios and Grand Cayman. I'll let you know if I regret not taking the Bob.

For the folks using the Ergo...how old is your child and how much does he/she weigh? I used the Bjorn and Mobiwrap and gave up months ago on that. My son doesn't like to be in carrier.

Archived