Nassau Taxi - How Safe Are They?

Yvonne

DH and I are considering going to Ardastra Gardens when we are in Nassau later this month. On all of our cruises we have always done ship sponsored tours, but this time we are thinking of doing it on our own. To do the excursion from the ship it would be $100, admission ($15/person) and taxi ($4/person) on our own would only be $38. We could save a lot of $$ by doing it ourselves, and we wouldn't be on a time schedule as we would be on a ship sponsored tour.

So, how safe are the taxis in Nassau? DH is a little leary of going that route, so I told him I would ask here. :) He thinks maybe the #10 bus would be better, but then there would also be a few blocks of walking involved after getting off, right? So I'm thinking taxi. :)

We have only visited Nassau once, but we did use a taxi a few times during that visit.

The taxi is like a van that sits multiple groups of people. Overall I think there are seats for 7 people, 8 if the driver packs two in the front beside himself. The driver may wait for a full taxi or may take just your group.

We found it to be safe. Rule of thumb, negotiate the price before getting into the taxi and make sure you leave plenty of travel time. If your driver decides to wait for others and you have waited to the last minute to get back to the ship before getting a taxi, this could be a very bad choice. lol

DH and I are considering going to Ardastra Gardens when we are in Nassau later this month. On all of our cruises we have always done ship sponsored tours, but this time we are thinking of doing it on our own. To do the excursion from the ship it would be $100, admission ($15/person) and taxi ($4/person) on our own would only be $38. We could save a lot of $$ by doing it ourselves, and we wouldn't be on a time schedule as we would be on a ship sponsored tour.

So, how safe are the taxis in Nassau? DH is a little leary of going that route, so I told him I would ask here. :) He thinks maybe the #10 bus would be better, but then there would also be a few blocks of walking involved after getting off, right? So I'm thinking taxi. :)

We've never had a problem. As a matter of fact, we actually enjoy the taxi option because we have had wonderful drivers who were very familiar with the town and made great recommendations for places for us to eat and visit. On two different occasions, the driver gave us his cell phone number so we could call him to come pick us up after we finished at our venue.

Archived