Caulker Caye instead of Bannister Island

JGriggs

We just found out that we can't go to Bannister Island. We are thinking of going to Caulker Caye instead. It would be myself, DH, DD age 11, DD age 2 and DS age 3. If you have been to Caulker Caye, do you think this would be a good fit for a family with young kids? We are considering doing the snorkeling at Shark Ray Alley but I don't know what there is to do on Caulker Caye?

My wife & I usually snorkel with Coral Breeze Tours each time in Belize except on the next to last trip which was in April of 2010, when we took the water taxi to Caye Caulker to spend the day & walk & look.

Getting the taxi was a no brainer & the day was a bit rainy earlier but not too bad a day. From the time we arrived on Caye Caulker we walked about one hour up to the split looking in shops on the way & by that point we were ready to head back to the water taxi for the return trip.

IMHO, Caye Caulker is an interesting place to visit & walk & look but there is no way either of us could live there or even do the walk again. We'll stick with Coral Breeze in the future & snorkel the reef & have the local lunch on Caye Caulker & head back to the tourist village.

I am sure that you will read glowing reports on this board about how cool Caye Caulker is but remember, everyone has a different nice.

I have no idea what we'd do with a two & a three year old along, but on Caye Caulker you will be safe. My wife says that she'd take the young kids along if it was her.

Enjoy Belize.

Thanks! I think we will book the snorkeling trip. We are booking throug Eco Tours. After the snorkeling, you have about 1.5 hours on the island. That would give us enough time to eat lunch and get an idea of the island.

We also are going to Belize and are trying to figure out what to do because we have a two year old in our party. Have you found any snorkelling excursions that will allow the little ones on, and do they charge for them if you have? We sail on the dream on Feb. 5/11

Archived