Progreso or Calica???

justsaygo

Looking to take a short cruise for spring break. Will probably drive to Mobile and take Carnival Elation... I know; not the best but looking for bargains and convenience. Anyway, trying to choose between Progreso or Calica. Never been to either port. We enjoy snorkeling and hiking; have two kids, ages 13 and 10. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Progreso is generally port call location for Merida whereas Calica near Playa Del Carmen on mainland across from Cozumel.. it's right near (within couple miles) of Xcaret which is great place to send the day with kids... IMHO not much going on for children in Progreso at all.

Well, if you want to hike, a trek to some of the Mayan ruins will provide plenty of hiking. Progreso has lots of those opportunities. Besides Chichen Itza, not sure about ruins near Calica. I think Coz has some snorkeling places, but we took our kids to Paradise Beach where the kids (12 & 11) played out in the water on inflatables and did some snorkeling.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Progreso/Cozumel cruise and actually liked Progreso better-some don't. We did the Uxmal tour instead of Chichen Itza. Our guide spent about an hour showing us around and then turned us loose to explore on our own, even climbed on the pyramids.

• 4 weeks later...
Progreso is generally port call location for Merida whereas Calica near Playa Del Carmen on mainland across from Cozumel.. it's right near (within couple miles) of Xcaret which is great place to send the day with kids... IMHO not much going on for children in Progreso at all.

Agreed!

Calica is for tourists. Progreso is for travelers. There IS a difference.

If not enjoying walking down a street trying to avoid a vendor's pee stream makes me a tourist, so be it. I have been to quite a few towns in Mexico. But, I found Progreso to be the worst... If you want to be a traveler, have at it.

I cannot stand people who get on here defending Progreso by insulting those who don't like it. They act as if we MUST be lowbrow and expecting Disney World-type cities on vacation.

You wanna see Mexico? Go to Valladolid. Go to Merida. Rent a van with a driver -- go inland and look at the dwellings on the roadside. See the local villages. Progreso isn't the real Mexico.

I found Progreso locals to be insulting. I guess they think that Americans can't speak/understand Spanish. Because, you could actually hear some of them talking about people right in front of them. The vendors treated us like stupid Americans with their pricing. If you bargain, you start out with a higher, but still respectful price. You don't say $55 for a ceramic knick-knack then drop it to $5 as we walk away.

So, I guess I will just have to live with being called a tourist on CC.

• 2 weeks later...

Progreso per se has little to no charm, I agree. I have lived here for 20-plus years and this year is the first time I actually see some improvements being made on their 'malecon' or boardwalk.

The vendors who talk crap about their customers are a common thread when they think you don't understand - I have experienced that as well.

Pee streams, I would not be surprised and have seen it as well. A drive through the countryside one afternoon turned into a laugh-fest when we entered a small town and there was a man peeing at a goalpost on a field in full view of passers-by. Not unusual at all.

And yes, it is poor and somewhat less than pristine.

I have been to both Calica and Progreso. Neither is impressive as a port per se, but both offer lots to do, particularly if you are interested in Mayan ruins. One of the best shore excursions I have taken was a trip to Sian Ka'an Nature Preserve from Calica. It is south of Tulum, so not close by, but combines nature, ruins, and history. At Progreso, we visited another Mayan site, Dzibilchatun, that was very interesting. I am returning to Progreso in 3 months, and I think we are just going into Merida. In my opinion, and as Mexican towns go, Progreso is just a place to tie up a ship, on a pier that extends a half mile into the Gulf of Mexico.

Archived