Shorts in the MDR

parentsof5

. I found out a few weeks ago that wearing brown and black in the same outfit is apparently a bad thing.

This tickled me because my DH found that out not too long ago about the brown and black deal. Our son that is 7 will give him heck if he catches Daddy with brown and black on at the same time.;)

On our cruise, I really didn't pay attention to people's attire unless I saw something that stuck out as being really pretty. From what I remember of people's dress in the MDR (which isn't much because I was enjoying our family time) it was good. I don't remember any slobs. We all did wear nice clothes every night but it was our first cruise and we wanted to make it something special. Even our kids 7 and 9, thought the dressing up part was fun. I thought they would have hated it. But they both will tell you hands down that their favorite part of the whole cruise was the MDR experience. Oh, another time when I paid any attention to someone's attire is when our son or daughter saw someone in a bathing suit 10 times too small and said ewwwww momma look at that. And most of the time it was a rather large man in a speedo.:cool:

The older I get the more I realize that most things are trivial...ya just have to go with the flow. Swimming and fighting against the tide may seem noble to some, to me it's just a waste of time and energy, especially over something this trivial.

Life is far to short.....

If the flow is casual, I can do that...if it gets sloppy, I won't go there...I'll try something else (meaning a different line).

I must admit after flighting the deterioration of 'formal night', even though I miss wearing full length dresses a little, I do enjoy easier packing, . :o

Now, I just have to find a way to cut back on shoes........

Again, shorts are allowed in the dining room.

Please show me in my post where I said shorts are not allowed in the MDR? Somehow, i don't see that written. But to be exact, LONG shorts are allowed except on Elegant nights. But my statement was made to the person who asked what the fuss was about. The fuss is about people not complying with the rules (whatever rules they may be) and complaining until they get their way and then others go "why did I go to the trouble of following the rules when others ignore them and get away with it". THAT, is what the fuss is about! I couldn't care less is someone wears shorts on nights they are allowed. I do care greatly about those who wish to wear shorts into the MDR on Elegant night because it is a violation of the rules.....rules created by Carnival, not me.

I am not quite understanding why it makes any difference to anybody what other people wear? I like to dress up on the "elegant nights", as does my husband. Actually, every night we eat in the MDR (which is every night except when we eat at the specialty restaurant) we "dress up". But, it does not make or break my evening if someone were to be seated at a table next to ours wearing short or jeans. Just saying... I dress well because it makes me feel good. I am indifferent to the style preferences of others.

I agree with you. It does not matter to me what someone else wears to dinner and long as it is not obscene. You can wear shorts to any restaurant so what's the big deal if they choose to wear shorts to the dinning room on their cruise?

I agree with you. It does not matter to me what someone else wears to dinner and long as it is not obscene. You can wear shorts to any restaurant so what's the big deal if they choose to wear shorts to the dinning room on their cruise?

In reference to the MDR incl. elegant night, we abandoned the Beaded Dress/Tux era years ago opting for shorts and jeans after going through the Docker phase. In the near future I would expect on a 7 day cruise the E night will be cut from two to one and eventually disappear as the generations move on.

Just my opinion, I may be wrong.

From reading all these post , I believe a lot depends on how you dress

everyday , If you wear a suit everyday , dockers is dressing down to you

I am self employed do over 1/4 million every year , I wear

Shorts ,t shirts everyday in the summer, jeans ,t-shirts ,sweat ****s in winter. No one tells me how I need to dress , I dress how I feel

on a cruise . Shorts and T-shirt every day , Maybe a tie on formal

night with a dress shirt ,and nice jeans

Also some of it depends on what part of the country you live

In large city they tend to dress more to go out, In smaller towns

not so much

Do you care if there are table cloths on the tables?Do you care if you eat with china and silver, versus paper plates and plastic? Do you care if there are floral arrangements in the dining room? Do you care if there is nice music playing overhead? All of these things create an ambiance which contributes to the enjoyment of the evening. What people wear contribute to this as well. The dress code is clearly stated. Why would someone say " I know what is required; I am going to ignore it." that is rude.

First, I'll say that I very much look forward to dressing up for the dining room every night, not just elegant night. But to answer all of these questions, NO, I don't care about any of that. I go out to eat (anywhere) for the food and the service and that's it. I don't "get" people who focus so much on other people and what they do. I could never live happily if other people concerned me that much. But, hey, what do I know? I'm just a dumb ol' Red Lobster "Bubba":D

In reference to the MDR incl. elegant night, we abandoned the Beaded Dress/Tux era years ago opting for shorts and jeans after going through the Docker phase. In the near future I would expect on a 7 day cruise the E night will be cut from two to one and eventually disappear as the generations move on.

Just my opinion, I may be wrong.

At that point MDR wil become a big buffet. Ball caps, flops and short wearing crowd will be happy.

I have never understoond people being so concerned about what the other person wears to MDR. I work 5 days a week and have to dress nice, but when I'm on vacation I want to be more casual. On formal night I dress accordingly but on other nights I like to be more casual. If the person sitting next to me at dinner wants to dress up for dinner that is fine, but DON"T put me down because I want to be more casual. I wear nice clothes and shoes but I do not dress up for dinner on a cruise, I do not wear swimsuits or short shorts. I will wear dressy shorts. Remember, this everyone has paid their hard earned for that cruise. I say chill and just enjoy your cruise the way you want and let me enjoy mine the way I want to. :)

I enjoy dressing up because the opportunity doesn't happen every day. However, with that said, what other people wear doesn't impact my enjoyment of the formal night experience at all. The only thought I would like to put out there is the same one I have regarding rules anywhere else. If you are going to have them, then you need to enforce them. As times change maybe the rules need to be altered. Things and times do change and sometimes rules need to change to reflect the times. IMHO I think it teaches the younger generation nothing, because they see rules in place but not being enforced. I am done and getting off my soap box now. Happy cruising everyone!

Vicki

I have never understoond people being so concerned about what the other person wears to MDR. I work 5 days a week and have to dress nice, but when I'm on vacation I want to be more casual. On formal night I dress accordingly but on other nights I like to be more casual. If the person sitting next to me at dinner wants to dress up for dinner that is fine, but DON"T put me down because I want to be more casual. I wear nice clothes and shoes but I do not dress up for dinner on a cruise, I do not wear swimsuits or short shorts. I will wear dressy shorts. Remember, this everyone has paid their hard earned for that cruise. I say chill and just enjoy your cruise the way you want and let me enjoy mine the way I want to. :)

just curious. of those 5 days. do you wear the same clothes over and over? do you change ? why?

Most people just dress to compliment their partner, or to impress the people they're cruising with.

I like to think the best thing my wife is wearing on her arm is me.

this explains alot ..................................

just curious. of those 5 days. do you wear the same clothes over and over? do you change ? why?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but it made me laugh. I wear the same pair of jeans and same sneakers every time I go to the MDR. All that gets changed is my polo shirt and I think I wore my burgundy coloured one twice :).

I know this wasn't directed at me, but it made me laugh. I wear the same pair of jeans and same sneakers every time I go to the MDR. All that gets changed is my polo shirt and I think I wore my burgundy coloured one twice :).

Jeans and Sneakers in the MDR?? That's blasphemy!

Better watch out for the Fashion Police. LOL.:p

Just kidding, with the purists being so up tight about wearing jeans and shorts, I couldn't resist :rolleyes:

Maitre ds are not going to enforce the rules and risk losing a tip. Little do they know our Maitre d didn't receive a tip from us in May on the Freedom. We were sitting across from two couples in their fourties wearing shorts, that were extremely drunk, loud and obnoxious. At one point they were dropping things over the rail into the lower part of the dinning room. We and several other couples complained to the Maitre d and he did nothing. As a mtter of fact fifteen minutes after all the folks complained he was over there yuckiing it up with the two couples and of course in their state, they were promising big tips for the Maitre d and the wait staff. He never even asked them to keep the noise level down. We know, we were directly across the isle and could hear what was said.

The best part was he missed our tip and the two couples that we know never came back ( we asked our waiter and he never saw them the rest of the cruise). I am sorry to say, that cruise was for eight days and had some of the most disrespectful, me people on it I have ever seen. From the chair hogs to folks who couldn't even wait there turn in line for anything that thought they were so self important that rules applied to everyone else. Carnival does nothing to rectify the situation. That is becoming the bigger problem.

The problem extends throughout American society. When societal standards were relaxed in the 1960s, the most boorish among us continued to push the issue - to the point where a large percentage of society thinks anything goes, anytime and anywhere.

On vacation, we should relax. On the other hand, there is a time and place for everything. On our last Bahamas Carnival cruise I'd say a very vocal 15% of the passengers thought they were in an MTV rap video - an "extreme" rap video.

We were almost driven away from our cabana on Half Moon Cay by a group of foul-mouthed youths (male and female) that gathered right next to the cabana and screamed at each other about their inter-family issues. My wife didn't want me to say anything and wanted to leave the cabana (which we'd paid for) and go back to the ship to avoid conflict. I confronted them and it almost escalated but they left.

If people comport themselves in a civil manner then their apparel doesn't matter (with in reason - the "People of Walmart" website gives some pretty good examples of clothing that cannot be forgiven). All the designer clothes in the world can't spackle over boorish behavior like cutting in line, etc.

Personally I like to dress up.

Archived