Goffs Caye

MNcoop

This is some info I sent to a poster wanting to know about our trip to Goff Caye....hope it helps...

Laura

I have been attempting to reply to your request for several days and it seems that my hotmail account has gone haywire. I wanted to send you a picture of Goff Caye also. I will try that later.

We booked with Snorkel Belize on the pier. We were told to come to the shop on the dock at 11, so we did and then we waited an hour for the boat to show up and then they had to re-fuel. It was a closed in boat that held around 40 people and it was packed. It takes about 25 minutes to get to the Caye. It is a beautiful little island about 1-2 acres in size, white sandy beach with palm trees, a grass hut and 2 port-a-pottys....we snorkled off the boat from the end of the reef back to the island. I have done many snorkel trips around the Carib, and this was not in my opinion a very good one. It is drift snorkeling where you drift with the current. I saw lots of evidence of damage to the reef from the recent storms and almost no fish. The current can be swift and you swim out against it to the end of the reef before you start back. I later in the day snorkeled off the beach around the reef and saw more fish there than out in deeper water. There is a snack bar on the island and they have a few water toys, rafts, etc to rent. Carry some extra towels as there are no chairs available. I am not sure I would reccomend SB, but your experience may be different than ours. We had a problem boarding the boat on our return, we did not go back to the pier. Just make sure you can re-board from a private excursion boat before you leave the ship....It is a beautiful caye and I am glad we went and we enjoyed just lying around on the beach....I'll try the picture later...wish I was going again....

When did you go to Goff's Caye? We're doing this excursion through Carnival in early April. So what you are saying that the snorkeling is better off the beach than the boat? We've never snorkeled off a boat so not really sure if that's what we want to do. Also, how far of a swim off the beach until you see fish, coral, etc.? Does it drop off quickly?

we went to goff's and rendevous cay,,,,we liked rendevous MUCH better,,,goffs looked very damaged and gray with hardly any fish,,,also just felt kind of ripped off by the whole excursion,,,took us a while to get there and then forever to get on and off the boat through a "window" in the front,,,,people had to step on a plastic bucket, and then stretch up to the window,,,some people couldnt do it, it was pitiful,,,,

the trip we had to rendevous was so much fun, the water had many fish, lots of beach toys, free drinks on the island, fun and beautiful,,,,the island was smaller than goffs though,,,,

hey, id go to either again though,,,,

Has anyone gone to Caye Caulker on their own? We are sailing EOS and there are not excursions to any of the Cayes. I was wondering how you transported, how long it took, and where exactly to go. We are traveling with 2 children, ages 5 and 8 who love to snorkel. Is the snorkeling safe for small children?

Also, any info on Rendezvous Caye would also be appreciated. We are currently booked for the NewRiver and Lamanai, but it looks like that could be a long day for 2 young children.

Thanks!

Archived