Private tour for 2 by taxi?

CAdreamin'

We'll be in Ocho Rios in May. First time to Jamaica. I've read a lot about Dunns River Falls but am not that interested in it. If we want to tour the island or go to a beach to snorkel/relax, shopping, restaurant, etc., can we hire a taxicab for just the 2 of us to take us where we want to go? Is there a nice beach in walking distance from restaurants and shops so we can be dropped off for a few hours, and are they reliable to come back at the time you tell them to? Can anyone tell me how much they charge and who they'd recommend? We'd rather not do a structured tour with a group, instead we want to do something spur of the moment on our own.

Thanks.

We booked through A-Z Planners for our May trip. We booked a private tour with them. I asked to go to Dunn's river, River tubing, Fern Gulley, Pottery Factory and then dropped off at Margarettaville for lunch. Maybe you could book a private tour with them or maybe they have some suggestions.

I read on the Jamaica's boards about A-Z Planners. And one member mentioned they had a private tour...so I emailed A-Z and asked them about a private tour for our family (of 6) and we would like to go to Dunn River Falls, Fern Gulley, the Pottery Factory and River Tubing, we would like to return to Margaretaville for lunch around 12:30. They said no problem for a private tour and the driver will be flexible to our needs, we just need to advise him what we would like to do The price was $53.00 per person which includes: Sightseeing, entrance to the falls, and River Tubing. (if we decide not to go tubing then $20.00 will be deducted.)

This was a hard decision, because I have heard great things about all the tour operators mentioned on this board. We chose A-Z because we like having the private tour and planning what we wanted to do.

Whoever you decide to go with, I am sure you will have a great time!

Happy Sailing

mermaid40, brandye3 - thanks, I appreciate your help. We like the idea of a private tour, but we don't want to spend more than maybe $30 per person. That's why I thought maybe just hiring a taxi driver to drop us off where we tell them to, and we can explore for ourselves. In either case, I'll contact both of them as time gets closer. Thanks again.

Peat Taylor was our guide in January. He took us everywhere we wanted to go and allowed us to set the destinations. We were the only 4 people in his van and the cost including Dunns River Falls admission was $30 pp. We added river tubing for another $20.00 each. He never left us and was always waiting where he said he would be. He was a lot of fun, taught you about the island and the culture and showed you plants and sites. Oneil his son was with him and accompanied us to the Falls and any other places we needed.

Peat Taylor

BONHAM SPRING, LODGE P.O. ST.ANN

JAMAICA W. I.

TEL: 876 975 0028

FAX: 876 975 0205

EMAIL:oneiltay@cwjamaica.com

New EMAIL:onieltay@hotmail.com

"HEY MON NO PROBLEM"

http://www.peattaylor.com

If you decide to do a taxi on your own, make sure it says JUTA on it. They are regulated by the gov't and set a price before you get in.

Archived