Review: Carnival Victory Southern 1-2-2011

dutchiegirl6

Great review, Dutchiegirl6! We're taking our two sons, one daughter-in-law, and four grand-teenagers on the Victory on Feb. 13. This is their first cruise - it's our 10th. However, we've never cruised Carnival before. I have what is probably a "silly" question - how do you book tours that are not offered by the cruiseline?

Linda from No. Illinois, "Snow Country" :rolleyes:

Great review, Dutchiegirl6! We're taking our two sons, one daughter-in-law, and four grand-teenagers on the Victory on Feb. 13. This is their first cruise - it's our 10th. However, we've never cruised Carnival before. I have what is probably a "silly" question - how do you book tours that are not offered by the cruiseline?

Linda from No. Illinois, "Snow Country" :rolleyes:

Lindylou2.... If you will go to the POC (ports of Call) boards and look at the islands you can find info on who is good and who offers what. There are a lot of great tour companies out there who will customize with you and your group. You can just contact them.... usually by email some by phone but they are more than happy to make you happy. :D

• 2 weeks later...
I hope you don't mind me picking your brain since I will be taking the same cruise Feb. 27th and I was wondering the following:

1. What time did you disembarke? My flight leaves @ 11:15am that day.

2. How far is the airport from the cruise terminal?

3. Can you leave your wine in the checked bags or do you have to carry it on?

4. What nights were elegant nights and how dressed up should we get?

5. For two people how much luggage would you recommend? I was thinging 2 carry ons and a medium suitcase & purse for me / backpack for him.

6. What kind of clothes did you bring?

7. Cash....should I bring it with me or wait to use the ATM on the ship?

8. Drinks....did you smuggle?? :)

So sorry for all the questions but it's my first trip ever!!!

Hi Caliblugirl :)

I was actually reading this thread since I will be sailing on the Victory on Feb 27th 2011 (Yay, me too :D!!!)

I was looking for hints about the flight to go back home. My flight WAS (and i'll get to that later) leaving PR at 10 AM. We usually cruise from Miami and there has never been a problem for us to catch an early flight 10-11 AM), so we can get home the same day. Since we live in Ottawa, Canada, the flight home is pretty long...

So here I am, browsing over this thread of post and I start to get worried. So I call Carnival directly and tell them that I have a flight booked for 10:00 am on March 6th, to get back home.

The lady at Carnival was really nice and told me : "I could be very mean and tell you there will be no problem, but talking with experience, there's NO WAY that you will catch your flight. The first people to get off the ship get out at approx. 9:30 or 10:00 AM and the traffic in Puerto Rico is very dense and crazy on debarkation day, so I really recommend that you try to switch your flight for something in the afternoon, since you are VERY unlikely to catch the one your are currently booked on"

Great... :(

After 45 minutes on the phone with my airline company, I was finally able change my flight. We are now departing at 3:40 PM that same day. Thanks to the representant of my airline company, instead of charging us modification fees for all 4, he only charged for 2. I don't know what's his name, but was I ever happy to save that money to enjoy excursions and a few drinks during my trip!

All that to say, Carnival, on their website, recommend that we don't book returning flights before 12:00 PM when flying out from Puerto Rico. Here's the link (that I wished I would of looked at before... but hey, don't we all learn by our mistakes!!)

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/Airport_and_Pier_Transfers/san_juan.aspx

I thought that it might be helpful to you and to all others who are planning a cruise departing from Puerto Rico.

On a positive note, my husbands' parents just came back from this exact cruise and the LOVED it!

Counting down : 19 days to go!!! :D

Cheers, ;)

Hi, cruised Jan 24th they were still loud and rude, Carnival gives them good rates to fill up the ship wouldn't do this one again.

Puerto Ricans are in fact a very vivacious people. I have not had a problem with rudeness. Just like New Yorkers have their own way of talking and interacting with people... so do other cultures. If you learn to embrace them they are a great people.... very full of life and friendly. Carnival does offer good prices to the locals to fill the ship. This itinerary is mostly ports and they usually stay on the ship in ports. I know that your older passengers just want a quiet cruise but that is not the carnival experience. If the Puerto Ricans weren't there they would complain about the Kids :eek:. You just can't make some people happy. You will love the cruise. Have a great time.

Archived