Ascot Ball and Black and White Ball

LM1

Has anyone been to either on the QM2, and if you have, could you offer any insight on the wearing of hats, or not, or masks, or not? I'm just wondering if hats and masks at these different events are required, or "not really required", if many do wear hats or masks, can you purchase or rent them onboard, and how elaborate are they if they are worn? Thanks for any other info as well.

For us, the Ascot Ball was on the Black and White formal dress night. Earlier that day, there was a hat-making event for ladies and men, although it was mostly ladies, and then in the evening, they had a contest for the best hat. It didn't appear that anyone brought their own hat. There were a good number of ladies who made the hats at the event and wore them, and even a few men. While most people did not wear hats, I think it's more fun to participate in something like this, to get the most out of the Ascot Ball evening.

As for a mask, are you referring to a night listed as a Masquerade Ball? If so, we had one of those as well, and they sold different kinds of masks for people to buy. The cheapest were $2, and were the kind that looks like a Zorro or Lone Ranger mask. We bought these and decorated them ourselves with ribbons, beads, etc. The more expensive ones were $10-15, and looked like fancy Mardi Gras masks, with feathers, beads, ribbons, etc., and on a stick so that you hold it to your face.

I hope this helps. Even though it's not required to dress up, I highly encourage you to participate in these dress-up events, even if it looks like other people aren't. They're just party-poopers. :)

Thank you for the reply sailsalot. The daily programme I have lists the Ascot Ball separately and for the Black and White, it was called a Masked Ball. I couldn't find anything about making hats, but do see prices listed for the masks. Wonder if you can bring your own? You mentioned adding beads and other things to the masks. Did you have to buy those things as well, or should we plan on bringing that stuff? We definitely want to take part in all the activities and are trying to plan what to bring other than all the clothes. I'm glad to know about the hat making. Thanks so much.

For our cruise, we had three dress-up nights, Pirates night, Masquerade, and Ascot/Black and White. We only knew about the Pirates Night ahead of time, (you can imagine our surprise at being told of two others after we were already on board!) so we had brought costumes for that, along with lots of Mardi Gras beads to go with those costumes. So that's where we had the beads to decorate our masks. We just got creative in finding the other stuff--ribbons, etc. We had a little travel sewing kit that we used to sew the strings of beads on. No one else decorated their $2 mask, but hey, we saved money by not buying the expensive ones, and ours looked just as good, plus we had alot of fun putting them together! If you have your own mask, then definitely bring it.

The hat-making event occurred on the afternoon of the Ascot Ball, in the Queens Room ballroom. It was I think around 2-3pm. Let me warn you, it was a crazy scene of women grabbing for the supplies, and there were only 2 pairs of scissors. Luckily, we had our own travel scissors with us, so I would recommend you bring some, in your checked-in luggage of course, or they'll be pulled out of carryon bags at the airport! You can bring your own hat. I did see one lady bring her own. But the ones that get all the attention in the contest are those made by hand at the hat-making event. You'll be amazed at what you can make with cardboard and some fun accessories! I wouldn't bring anything except an extra pair of scissors, and get there early to get an early pick at the supplies. That's great that you want to take part in all the fun!!

Interesting , do these events occur on every Cunard cruise? I am going on QE2 in May for the S'hampton/Rome/S'hampton cruise. It would be helpful to know about these events, before I leave home, so that I may pack a "few things" that I would need.

Sailsalot, Wow thanks for the heads up about the hat making and supplies. There was no information in that programme I told you about earlier about any hat making on the day of the Ascot Ball, so we'll have to ask, if it's not listed on the programme on our cruise. Of course that's assuming they will have these events on our April 22 sailing on QM2. To answer Jimsgirl's ?, I have no idea how to find out if and what is being offered for events on either QE2 or QM2. I have been on both and was surprised both times. Calling Cunard always gets me an "I don't know", even about who the Captain may be. They give out little information when I have called about particular's on the cruises I have been on and am going on. That's why these boards have been most helpful.

Archived