Where can I get a good glass of wine in Punta del Este?

Winenut

We'll be stopping in Punta del Este on our cruise in late February. Since I'm not much of a beach person, I'd love to find a wine bar or restaurant where I can try some nice glasses of Uruguay wine. We will be in port only until 6 pm. Any suggestions?

We'll be stopping in Punta del Este on our cruise in late February. Since I'm not much of a beach person, I'd love to find a wine bar or restaurant where I can try some nice glasses of Uruguay wine. We will be in port only until 6 pm. Any suggestions?

I had some good wine at a restaurant at called El Tonel, which was just off the main shopping street. I had a bottle of 2010 Don Pasquale tannat, which was the winery's (Juanico, just outside of Montevideo) entry level wine. If you are lucky enough to find their Atlantico Sur bottlings in a restaurant, splurge. It was a parilla...so also lots of great open-flame meat.

Uruguayan wine is, generally, very good. I had a few different ones over my days there (restaurants, a winery, etc) so I would recommend just going somewhere and trying whatever tannat is on the menu. Being an uncommon grape elsewhere, it is the varietal to drink in Uruguay. Note, however, that many places serve good wines by the bottle only so either go with a large group so you can sample several bottles, or be prepared to drink a lot (my preferred way of doing it!)

Archived