Carnival Won't Fix My Damaged Luggage

Rowan555

On our Sensation cruise on 1-29, my brand new rolling suitcase was broken while being brought on board the ship. I did not notice the damage until midway through the cruise, when I realized the wheel was missing and the wheel casing was broken. I brought the suitcase to the information desk and showed it to the staff member. She went into the back, then came out and told me they did not have a wheel that size on board, so there was nothing they could do to fix it. She told me to call or write guest relations upon returning home, and they would take care of it for me.

Well, a month later, I have talked to 5 or 6 people up the chain of command at Guest Relations, and I just got the final "screw you" from one of the supervisors. They told me I was supposed to file a pier report (the information desk emlpoyee said NOTHING about that). Then they said SHE was supposed to file a report. THEN they said she didn't file a report because I didn't come down the first day to note the problem (saying it was "questionable" at that point whether the luggage was indeed broken during embarkation). Apparently, they will not be held accountable for the mistake of this employee, and they have suggested in 100 different veiled ways that I'm full of crap / lying / trying to get something for nothing. I need a Xanax (or 3) after this last phone call. I even said I had a Sensation cruise booked for September, and I would get a wheel ahead of time so that they could fix it for me on board - they said NO WAY.

The last call ended with my telling them that I am so very frustrated with this experience, and the way I have been treated, that they will be losing 4 loyal repeat cruisers after this last cruise in September, which I am ONLY taking because we have $1000 in reward points to use. I also mentioned that I pay for my parents' cruises, and that THEY will be cruising on any line but Carnival after this. We have NCL and RCI here in New Orleans, and neither are owned by Carnival - those will be our future cruises. She said she would make a note of my comments, and I told her that I would also be noting this situation on the internet so others can be aware of Carnival's poor excuse for customer service. I told her, "It is shocking to me that you are willing to throw away 6 loyal cruisers over something as small as a luggage wheel." She just said, "Well, that's how it has to be."

I have never been treated as badly by ANY customer service reps as these Carnival reps have treated me. It's not at all about the wheel any more - it's about being called a liar by numerous Carnival employees when I am following the cruise employee's instructions precisely.

I have 15,000 icruise points built up already - Norweigan Sun, here we come...

Moral of the story - if you have a problem and you are told something by a staff member on board, GET IT IN WRITING. She assured me that this would be no problem at all, and here I am a month later with no one willing to help me.

I'm sure...but that IS what travel insurance is for. *shrug*

Hubby had it happen to him on AA and they replaced his briefcase. Not sure what a cruise lines policy is...but I always purchase travel insurance just to make sure I don't have to go through the headache.

Sorry to tell you, Rowan, but this is Carnival's policy, printed in the big brochures, as well as in the Welcome Aboard brochure you received with your documents prior to the cruise:

"Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, any problems are the responsibility of the guest......Claims for luggage loss or damage must be made in writing to the debarkation personnel prior to leaving the pier area."

Really sorry, but it's spelled out very clearly.

It's seems that now even passengers are getting in on the "too bad for you, it's all in the contract, spelled out in black and white" mentality. If it's so clearly spelled (which, I'm sure it is, no need to cut and paste) why didn't the person at the pursers desk know this.

I'm sure at this point the OP care's very little about the broken wheel. It's the run around and lack of customer service/communication that is frustrating. Add to that, as the OP stated basically being called a liar, over what could have been a very minor issue.

Read your contracts people...that's what they are for.

They are LEGAL BINDING CONTRACTS...you can make all the excuses you want, but it is your responsibility to read them. If she didn't before the cruise, she should have dug them out after it happened and read through them to find out.

The person at the pursers desk may have been new/in training and didn't know the policy yet. Either way, place the blame where the blame lies and handle it from there...that is with the pier personnel.

It's seems that now even passengers are getting in on the "too bad for you, it's all in the contract, spelled out in black and white" mentality. If it's so clearly spelled (which, I'm sure it is, no need to cut and paste) why didn't the person at the pursers desk know this.

I'm sure at this point the OP care's very little about the broken wheel. It's the run around and lack of customer service/communication that is frustrating. Add to that, as the OP stated basically being called a liar, over what could have been a very minor issue.

Although I understand what you're saying, I really think it's more important that every traveler know what their rights are, what they're responsible for, what their signed contract states BEFORE they take a cruise or any vacation, than what the person behind the pursers desk knows.

People, it's been said here before DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Take responsibility for yourselves!!! And please, for goodness sake, purchase insurance.

I will make no excuse for poor customer service...but after my last cruise, seeing all the whiners lined up at the pursers desk, b*tching over every little thing...THAT is the reason that folks with legitimate complaints get treated poorly.

(which, I'm sure it is, no need to cut and paste)

FYI, Wiggin - I didn't cut and paste. I typed it while looking at the Carnival wording in the brochures. You don't know, but Rowan and I did a great deal of 'talking' on this board prior to her January cruise. She knows I've been through all kinds of issues, helping her.......so I'm not turning against her, just pointing out to her where she might find that information. She will appreciate that, whether or not you seem to.;)

I was not trying to say that Carnival was responsible, or the OP should not look at the contract to find out who is responsible.

My problem and biggest frustration is the comment that the purser may have been new or in training. First I feel, that anyone working in a position such as the pursers desk should know what they are talking about or know who to ask if they do not. The are representing Carnival and if I as a passenger should read my contract and know what MY responsibilities are. People working for Carnival, in the capacity of pursers/information desk, should also know what is in the contract and what THEIR responsibilities are. I wouldnt be surprised if somewhere in that contract, it states that Carnival employee's do not need to know what is in the contract and cannot be held reponsible for their actions.

Again, for me it doesn't really matter the issue, it all in how they handle it.

I agree about the purser's desk employee. The girl should have told Rowan that it was a matter between Rowan and the Port Authority folks, and that she should file a claim with them prior to leaving the pier. She didn't - she was lax in her duties.

I'm sorry about your loss- I don't know the exact cruise contracts, so I'm not going to pretend I do, but I do know about airlines, and anything on the outside (ie- rolling wheels) are not their responsibility if they are broke during your flight (unloading/ loading). sorry!

Rowan, I'm sympathetic to your plight and the frustration you are experiencing. Yeah, the woman at the purser's desk should not have told you to contact Carnival as that was incorrect info. I'm wondering as this is a brand new suitcase if you can return it to the mfg. I know, it's more the treatment you have received than the suitcase, but I'd think that no matter how it was handled, it should not have broken on its first use. Just a thought.

Seems I always have to buy new luggage after Carnival gets ahold of it......they break my wheels and once smashed my hanging thingy in my garmet bag. I truly believe that luggage is made cheaper and that is the real problem. OH the wonder of plastic..........................

I also had my luggage damaged on my last cruise... two weeks ago. The strap for attaching another piece of luggage on my big suitcase was broken off and laying on the floor next to my luggage at the the door of our cabin. I discovered it on our way to our first visit to our cabin after boarding.

I just shrugged it off even though it was new luggage. I never complained to anyone about it, just wanted to get my cruise started!!! I suppose I could bring it back to the store of purchase and get it exchanged. But, right now I'm more upset by the fact that I'm not on a cruise anymore!!! :(

I agree with the OP, poor customer service makes for a bigger headache in the long run!! I also agree with other posters that we should all read our contracts and purchase travel insurance, which we did.

I can understand your frustrations over trying to get this problem taken care of, but I do hope that it didn't really take away from your (hopefully) wonderful time that you had on your cruise!!! It really is just a small part of the big picture!!

Best wishes and happy cruising!!!

I did not notice the damage until midway through the cruise, when I realized the wheel was missing and the wheel casing was broken.
How do you really know where and when it happened.

Keep in mind that there are also people scamming this for a freebie. "They " have to weed out the abusers. You may have been classified wrong, or they were simply skepical given the timing.

I personally never see my luggage in the middle of the week. I can't wait to hide it!

BTW, passengers have rights, but they have responsibilties too. Lately, I'm reading people aren't aware of their cruise contract, or that they even have one. Simply put, realize what you are responsible for, including getting on and off the ship, especially in ports. Realize what the line is and is not responsible for.

It truly helps.

And yes, get any verbal comments in writing.

I'm sorry, Complaining about a broken wheel on your luggage seems pretty petty to me. Why blame Carnival, why not the company that made the luggage for equiping it with a breakable wheel, or the store that sold it to you for not putting a warning label on the luggage about wheel breakage with use. Reminds me of my lawn mower, on the deck is a warning, "Do Not Put Hands or Feet Under Deck While Engine is Running" That's kinda of a "No Brainer" in my book.

Life happens, things break.

I/we have been on 3 cruises, the 4th one booked and paid for, and the only reason we ever with to the Purser's Desk was start and then settle our Sign & Sail card.

Build a bridge and get over it!!

Matt

A broken wheel on your luggage ruined your vacation and led to your refusing to ever cruise on Carnival again along with all of your relatives?

They could break the wheel off my vehicle and I'd still not blame Carnival.

I do hope you enjoy the Norweigan Sun.

I'm very sorry about your luggage. Did you say it was going to cost $30.00 to fix it?? That sounds a little high to me. I would try to fix it myself before forking that out. Have you tried to contact the luggage manufactur or the store where the luggage was purchased? It sounds like more of a malfunction rather than someone trying to damage your luggage. Perhaps this is a common occurance with this type of luggage and you could be eligible for a replacement.

I'm also sorry you let this matter upset you so much. As Mr. Pete and Halos stated, customer relations probably have so many fraudulent or frivalous claims made that sometimes the ones with legit matters get the short end of the stick as well. It's not right but that's how it goes. Personally, they could throw my luggage to the monkeys (remember the old Samsonite commercials :D ) and I would still be thrilled to be on a cruise! That's because I never cruise without insurance and I know I could get compensated:)

Just another reason to purchase travel insurance:)

A broken wheel on your luggage ruined your vacation and led to your refusing to ever cruise on Carnival again along with all of your relatives?

They could break the wheel off my vehicle and I'd still not blame Carnival.

I do hope you enjoy the Norweigan Sun.

ROFLMAO! :D I got a real chuckle out of this.. and it reminded me of something! Not to 'make light' of the original OP's dilemma, but after my cruise on the Imagination, I got home and unloaded my vehicle, placing all the luggage where someone could get to it. I proceeded to back the vehicle out of the driveway (or so I thought) and ran over my large suitcase breaking the wheel and bending the support on the luggage. Thank God, it was the suitcase and not the wheel on my truck.. :eek:

Now, if I was unscrupulous like many of the people I see complaining at the Pursers' Desk, I may have a case here.. :rolleyes:

To the original OP, I'm not insinuating anything.. just think the Mfg. of the suitcase should fix it, considering! I certainly wouldn't blame Carnival.. we all know their customer service/relations is sometimes 'lacking'..

Archived