Montreal 7/2 & Quebec City 7/3 vs. Quebec City 7/17

DW and I are trying to decide between two cruises this July on the same ship and with the same itinerary. The first leaves from Montreal on 7/2 during the huge Montreal Jazz Festival and stops in Quebec City 7/3 during that city's birthday celebration. The second cruise stops in Quebec City 7/17 during the last day of its Summer Fest.

My question is: while each of these events provide elements that are very appealing, might the first of these cruises result in significantly more hassles in terms of crowds, congestion, and availability of taxis, public transit, hotels (pre-cruise), restaurants, sightseeing, etc.?

Thanks for any info and help you can provide.

-Ron

I'm an innkeeper. From our perspective, the Jazz Festival is the second biggest time of the year. And I can assure you that if you need a hotel on the 2nd of July for just one night... you are going to have trouble. The 1st of July is Canada Day, so it's a long weekend for Canadians. The 4th of July is a long weekend for Americans. Personally, we have a three-night minimum on all our reservations for that weekend. Add to that, that it's the final weekend of the Jazz Festival and well, it's a busy weekend. So, hotel rooms will definitely be at a premium with minimum stays will mean that you will pay a higher premium for rooms without a minimum stay.

That being said, this isn't Disney... we don't have capacity limits. Sure, if you want to get into the BEST restaurants in town, you better have made your reservation a long time ahead. And if you want to get in one of the free concerts, you should be there well ahead of time.

Montreal has festivals all summer long. The schedules aren't really out, but the second to third week in July is usually the Just For Laughs festival.

Looking online for a single night on the 2nd of July... there isn't a hotel that I would contemplate staying at in the downtown area for under $130 a night, plus taxes.

Hi!

I live in Quebec City and I would also choose the second option. The summer fest is very great and we have many street entertainers and you can heard and see music shows in the old town. Sure it will be a bit crowded but not enough for not coming that weekend.

have a great cruise!

Archived