Malaria pills for the Amazon

crowpro

Up the Amazon twice to Manaus round trip. No mosquitos seen. The crew etc. do not worry about getting Malaria on the Amazon..I believe the Malaria bearing mosquitos are a night time hazard in some places a ways inland along the Amazon. Manaus is completely mosquito free due to the acidity of the Rio Negro....

When we went up the Amazon in 2006 we elected not to take our medication after we discovered the crew etc did not take anything.

Just ensured that we had a strong deet spray - never saw much in the way of animals etc let alone mozzies.

Last year in Africa we started medication and fell sick, so again and after talking to those at the lodge we were staying at, elected not to continue the medication and relied on heavy lashings of deet. Can't say we saw any mozzie's on that trip either.

Cheers

When we went up the Amazon in 2006 we elected not to take our medication after we discovered the crew etc did not take anything.

Just ensured that we had a strong deet spray - never saw much in the way of animals etc let alone mozzies.

Last year in Africa we started medication and fell sick, so again and after talking to those at the lodge we were staying at, elected not to continue the medication and relied on heavy lashings of deet. Can't say we saw any mozzie's on that trip either.

Cheers

....Malaria is spread by female mosquitos of one specie only who have already bitten an infected human. The malaria bearing mosquitos are only found at low elevations...In Kenya the major port city is Mombassa and at night there is a very high risk of contacting Malaria....If you go on a safari or to almost any game preserve you will be "above" the malaria mosquito risk....How do I know this???....My doctor practiced in Kenya for 5 years and prior to our circumnavigating africa in 2008 he walked me through the whole Malaria business. Prior to our cruise he gave us 2 complete courses of an antibiotic to have with us in case we did happen to come down with the symptoms....I still remember his telling us, " Just don't go to an outside bar-b-que in Mombassa at night..."....We went on our Safari to Tsavo Park in Kenya(Alt. 4500 Ft.) and had a great time.....

....Malaria is spread by female mosquitos of one specie only who have already bitten an infected human. The malaria bearing mosquitos are only found at low elevations...In Kenya the major port city is Mombassa and at night there is a very high risk of contacting Malaria....If you go on a safari or to almost any game preserve you will be "above" the malaria mosquito risk....How do I know this???....My doctor practiced in Kenya for 5 years and prior to our circumnavigating africa in 2008 he walked me through the whole Malaria business. Prior to our cruise he gave us 2 complete courses of an antibiotic to have with us in case we did happen to come down with the symptoms....I still remember his telling us, " Just don't go to an outside bar-b-que in Mombassa at night..."....We went on our Safari to Tsavo Park in Kenya(Alt. 4500 Ft.) and had a great time.....

Since Kenya is where I am headed in November, can you give me the name of the antibiotic so I too may take it with me. Don't think I will be partying anywhere at night while there. :D

Since Kenya is where I am headed in November, can you give me the name of the antibiotic so I too may take it with me. Don't think I will be partying anywhere at night while there. :D

You have gone way past my memory zone.....Best you discuss this with your doctor....Mombassa is not worth seeing at all....Filth, squalor and corruption....As soon as you pass through you will begin a gradual rise and things really change as you reach the plateau and enter the native areas. They tend mixed flocks of cattle and goats and are a very pleasant people. Have fun and enjoy!:)

You have gone way past my memory zone.....Best you discuss this with your doctor....Mombassa is not worth seeing at all....Filth, squalor and corruption....As soon as you pass through you will begin a gradual rise and things really change as you reach the plateau and enter the native areas. They tend mixed flocks of cattle and goats and are a very pleasant people. Have fun and enjoy!:)

Thanks. Will do.

Check the always update in the site of the Institute of Tropical Medicine at Antwerp Belgium. (English version). Choose Brazil and you will get in a pop-up screen any information of precautions to take ... and not only for Malaria!

http://www.itg.be/itg/GeneralSite/Default.aspx?WPID=136&L=E

Thanks for the link. This is much better in detail than the CDC site.:D

We took Malarone on our recent Dubai to Cape Town trip. Our doctor told us to start taking the pills one day before we docked in India and to continue for 7 days after we departed India. We were also told to take our pills in the middle of dinner. We never had a problem at all.

The second thing I would recommend is to take some scented Bounce fabric sheets. I know this sounds stupid but when we lived in Alaska (where the mosquito's were huge) we just rubbed a fabric sheet over exposed skin and over our clothes. Never had a bite. This trip while in one port where it was very warm and humid, we had these little bugs that got on your feet and bit like crazy. I was wearing sandals but I happened to have a baggie of Bounce and rubbed one on my feet and wasn't bothered the rest of the tour. I'm glad I left some in the stateroom because I had to give away the others I brought to people who were going nuts with the darn bites.

We did see mosquito's in India but nothing in Africa or the Seychelles.

Karen

Archived