Two days in Alexandria - Advice needed

hwake88

Two days in Alexandria - Advice needed

We are scheduled for a late April cruise in the Med on board the NCL Jade.

We will have 2 days and a night in Alexandria.

The ideal itinerary for our 2 day stop would be:

Day 1

Leave the ship early and travel to the Egyptian Museum and spend as many hours there as possible.

Then proceed to Giza and spend the night there so I can capture photos at both "Golden Hours" plus the light and sound show at the Sphinx and Pyramids.

Day 2

Continue with general sightseeing (need recommendations) and return to Alexandria early enough to be sure we don't miss the ship.

Any advice on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Henry

Look on the Ports of Call boards for names of private tour operators who can do this all for you. We did the overnight last Christmas with a private company, as did many, m any others, and had a great visit - but not nearly enough time to see and do it all! Don't miss Memphis and Sakkara either!

Robin

Hi Henry

There are a plethora of companies in Egypt who would be more than happy to fulfill your request. The ship also has overnight tours. Shop around on the roll calls for similar itineraries and you will get lots of names and ideas.

We did the same itinerary as yourself but did not overnight in Cairo. Instead we spent the first day touring Alex and drove to and from Cairo the next day and made it to the ship in ample time.

We booked a group tour for Alex and a private one for Cairo.

Then we also got in Alex late because of a fog bank taking two hours off our day in Alex. This was a few hours less for all tours so take this into account as well.

For myself this port was a priority so paid extra for a private tour in Cairo and it was absolutely worth it. The group tour was as good without the personal attention and timing.

About recommendations. I would have lunch on the Nile, or some activity relating to the nile. Definitely the Egyptian museum, but with a local guide as the place is overwhelming with information and displays. Of course the pyramids and I like your idea of sunset and sunrise there. It is a special place and WILL affect you.

In Alex definitely do a tour as set out in the many brochures. Alex library is a must - trust me. The architecture alone is awesome. Then in Alex is a plethora of historic sights including a wonder of the ancient world - The Alexandria lighthouse. We had no idea what all was on the itinerary and went blindly to catacombs, palaces and the library and walked away fulfilled to say the least.

Hope this helps.

We went on an overnight independent tour from Alexandria to Cairo, and enjoyed it. They are happy to tailor the tour to your interests -- camel ride, Nile cruise, Pyramid Sound & Light show, shopping, etc.

Woody

And we loved every minute of it. We were once again blessed with a wonderful tour guide...he made the history come alive. We saw everything...absolutely everything. The food was wonderful, the people of Egypt we terrific (everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, smiled and waved to us whenever we were traveling on the bus).

A few recommendations - be prepared to be exhausted afterwards. Try and get some quality rest the day before. Bring a hand sanitizer and keep your hands away from your face. Wash your hands frequently. (This has nothing to do with whatever excursion you take - this is a fact of life when travelling in Egypt.) Drink only bottled water and do not eat fresh vegetables or fruit - it's only two days - you'll survive.

The most important recommendation - be prepared to be completely awed by what you will see and experience. I cannot adequately describe how I felt when I stood in front of King Tut's gold mask and his treasures. Rarely am I left speechless - however I felt that way over and over again by the magnificent, or as Mr. Carter said "wonderful.." things we saw.

Have a wonderful time.

I will echo everyones comments by saying definitely check the ports of call board for local tour operators. You will save lots of money compared to the NCL tours and have the same type of experience and tour activity.

The best bet would be to join your roll call and get a group together to go on one of the private tours - it will lower the costs for everyone.

Also, when you go to the sound & light show at the pyramids, there is a cafe in the back with a raised area. It is at the back, but the raised platform gives you a great view over everyone else. You have to buy food or drinks to be back there, but it is worth it, IMHO.

Be prepared to have your mind expanded by this experience - it's a once in a lifetime kind of trip!

A bunch of us on our role call collaborated (about a dozen) and hired a private tour operator for all of us at a discounted rate. We decided to sleep on the ship. First day we left for Cairo/Giza. We were the first bus out. The others had to wait for the (300+) passengers to all get aboard and form a convoy.

Spent the day at the Sphinx and pyramids. The papyrus factory is interesting. Stayed for the light show. It was terrific. Back to the ship. Next morning we toured Alexandria. Don't miss Alexandria's library. It is amazing. I bought some great gifts for my nieces and nephews. Be careful what you drink. Our tour went to a sheik's palace converted to a 5 star hotel. We were offered a 'traditional egyption drink'. Found out after a few sips that they didn't sanitize the glasses between guests - just rinsed them off with tap water. DH had a little mummy tummy after that.

Melissa

Look at this tour, this is what we booked Via Albaraa Travel Egypt

Day # 1 ) Alexandria Port - Cairo Sightseeing Tours - Fly to Luxor

We will pick you up from your ship terminal at Alexandria Port by our professional travel representative with air-conditioned modern van to drive to Cairo, where you will be accompanied by your own Egyptologist tour guide to visit the famous Giza Plateau, home of Egypt’s signature attractions to visit the Great Pyramids, Which is ONE of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world including the Great Pyramid of Cheops, middle pyramids of Chephren and the little one of Mykerinos and mysterious Sphinx, the Father of Terror for the ancient pharaohs, the tour includes visit to the valley temple facing the great sphinx. lunch en route included, followed by a guided tour to the world-renowned Museum of Egyptian Antiquities that was built in neo-classical style designed by the French architect Marcel Dourgnon which exhibited collections now exceed 120000 masterpieces ranges from pre-dynastic era, Pharaonic era to the Greco-roman period in Egypt, with a shopping opportunity. Transfer to Cairo airport to fly to Luxor where you will be accompanied by our REP to visit the Famous Karnak Temple & attend the sound and Light Show at the temple. Transfer to Hotel in Luxor to check in and overnight stay.

Day # 2) Luxor Sightseeing Tours - Fly to Cairo - Alexandria Port

Today you will be accompanied by your English speaking tour guide and air-conditioned deluxe vehicle to visit the the two colossal statues of Amenhotep III known as (Colossi of Memnon), and then visit the Valley of the Kings, where the magnificent tombs discovered, those tombs were carved deep into the desert rock, richly decorated and filled with treasures for the afterlife of the pharaohs, you will visit 3 tombs. Continue the tour to visit the Hatshepsut temple at El Deir El Bahary, this impressive temple dedicated to the Queen Hatshepsut the only female pharaoh rises out of the desert plain in a series of terraces and merges with the sheer limestone cliffs that surround it and then you will be transferred to Luxor domestic airport to fly back to Cairo.Followed by a short visit to the famous bazaars in Giza area for Papyrus, Perfumes. Transfer back to your ship in Alexandria Port.

Tour Includes

- Flight ticket Cairo - Luxor - Cairo with Egypt air

- Pick up service from your Ship Terminal at Alexandria Port

- All transfers by air-conditioned modern van class

- Private Egyptologist tour guide in your language

- Entrance fees to the sights in Cairo and Luxor

- Lunch during tours in Cairo and Luxor

- Shopping tours in Cairo and Luxor

- Mineral water and Soft drink during the tours

- Accommodation in Luxor at 5* hotel with breakfast

- Drop off service from your Ship Terminal at Alexandria Port

Archived