No Turtles and No Stingrays- Just Hell and a Beach?

Mrs Nickle

My husband and I are anticipating our first trip to the Grand Cayman island in April on our cruise. However, we are at a loss as what to do once we are there. We have decided neither one of us are interested in snorkeling, doing the turtle farm, or the stingrays. We would like to see Hell and just find a beach and have a few drinks on the beach. Are there any beach suggestions? Does anyone know how much a cab would cost to go to Hell and then a beach? Thanks!

I have only been to Grand Cayman once, though I have another trip coming up in March. :) We did the Stingrays/Turtle Farm/Hell tour, and while Hell was an amusing 10 minute stop, it is really not anything more than that. The rock formations are cool, but not at all large, and you can not really touch or walk through them, just look at them from behind a wood rail behind the gift shop, which has tons of t-shirts, shotglasses, etc. It's a novelty stop, and I'm glad we did it, but I'm also glad it was part of a larger tour that we enjoyed much more than Hell (stingrays were amazing!) Just IMO, but I'm not sure it's worth the taxi fare all the way to Hell. If you just want to hit the beach and no tour, I'd go to one of the closer beaches to the port that have cheaper taxi or bus fare and save Hell for another visit when you might decide on a larger tour.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

A tour to Hell, the rum place(tortola?), dolphin encounter, and the beach was $15-20. They drop you off at the beach and you have to take a taxi back to the ship $4-5. Taxi only to the beach is $4 for the closer beaches and $5 for the beaches further away. Couldn't tell you how much a taxi is to Hell - which isn't much of a place.

Thanks, everybody. Jessed, what is the name of this tour and who is it through? I can handle $15-20 per person! It includes something with dolphins also?

As you get off the tender, there are several tour operator's. The first one's we saw were charging $20 for their tours. I walked to the right a little and I think it was Debra's or Marylin's tours who were charging $15 for the same tour. We did have to wait appox. 1/2 hour because they want their buses full - I think they sat about 14-16 people. The other tour operator's had similar buses. They stop at the dolphin encounter, but only to look at the dolphins. It was $100 to get in with the dolphins. It is a fairly new place with nice surroundings.

Archived