What to do in each port?

berniem22

Our cruise starts May 14 and wondering which excursions to do and how to do them. ie from the ship or plan your own. I've been on several cruises to know that the locals are plentiflul when you get to port. We are in our early 40's and healthy. We don't scuba although we are talking about getting certified on the ship.

We enjoy snorkelling but don't plan to do it everywhere we go. Where would the best place be for that? I also notice that every island has a 4x4 tour. Which would be best?

The ports are Papeete, Raiatea, Taha'a,Bora Bora & Moorea.

We are doing a 2 night post cruise in Bora Bora so we might save something for then.

Any help would be appreciated.

Our cruise starts May 14 and wondering which excursions to do and how to do them. ie from the ship or plan your own. I've been on several cruises to know that the locals are plentiflul when you get to port. We are in our early 40's and healthy. We don't scuba although we are talking about getting certified on the ship.

We enjoy snorkelling but don't plan to do it everywhere we go. Where would the best place be for that? I also notice that every island has a 4x4 tour. Which would be best?

The ports are Papeete, Raiatea, Taha'a,Bora Bora & Moorea.

We are doing a 2 night post cruise in Bora Bora so we might save something for then.

Any help would be appreciated.

You might also look at the Roll Call board and see if there is a CC group that has a roll call set up. There is usually a lot of talk about this type of thing on a specific cruise roll call.

I try to always book private tours for each of our ports of call ahead of time via the internet.

It is a lot of work and takes me a lot of time - but it sure is a lot of fun. Plus I really learn a lot about the various ports of call that we will be visiting.

To be successful at this you have to first find out what the ports of call have in the way of attractions: historical, cultural, natural etc. Then you decide what you would enjoy seeing the most - what suits your tastes!

Next surf the net and find names of tour operators in the port and send them e-mails asking if they offer private tours and if so what they suggest you see & what would be the cost. AS you can see you have to start this process well in advance of your sailing date.

By setting up my own private tour we do what interests us and can alwys adjust the tour if we are finding something is not to our taste.

I have had very good luck doing this - alwys enjoying good tours and often Fabulous tours that far exceed my expectations. Plus I always save money over the ships similar tour. (but that is not why I do it)

check out a web site called http://www.portreviews.com for excellent information on various areas and ports of call.

Good luck

And enjoy each of your ports of call & your tours be they private or the ships excursions.

Archived