To hose or not hose?

AmuseMe

I haven't seen a lot of hose on cruises (carnival, Royal Caribbean) everyone is kind of in the "tropics" mode with sandals and such. If you felt like you absolutley needed them to make yourself feel more confident they make the kind where your toes are out and only your heal and legs are covered in a real sheer tone.

I haven't seen a lot of hose on cruises (carnival, Royal Caribbean) everyone is kind of in the "tropics" mode with sandals and such. If you felt like you absolutley needed them to make yourself feel more confident they make the kind where your toes are out and only your heal and legs are covered in a real sheer tone.

I've worn toeless hose before and I like it a lot. It's just difficult to find.

I wore the toeless hose to a winter resort this New Years Eve but they were very sheer and I had them on so the cold breeze didn't blow up my dress (I didn't like the way long johns looked with my short dress:D ) but those black ones with the actual seperate toe were absolutely bizarre looking!!!

I vote for the no hose as well.... I am very tall and have a hard time finding pantyhose... My motto has always been that panythose and bras are created by men because no woman in their right mind would create such contraptions:D

Spanx are hose that come without the feet part. You can find actual spanx which are kind of pricey at Norstrom or on Ebay. There are cheaper versions at target I believe. You can even wear them with capri pants if you want that no panty line / tummy control look.A:D

I ALWAYS wear stockings on Formal night. It makes be feel sexy and 'dressed'

AND I many times wear very sheer off black! Black Dress with sheer off black stockings with black strappy heels. Very sexy is the look.

It's all good thou isn't it?

WHATEVER makes YOU feel comfortable is what is right.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the posts about two weeks ago and decided to try the Tohos Pantyhose at http://www.tohos.com . I think some of us are thinking that Tohos are toe-less pantyhose, they are not. These pantyhose have full foot coverage. I bought three colors. When I wore the bare, no one could even tell I was wearing pantyhose. The black were very sexy. My husband could not keep his hand off of me and the things we did with the big toe!! The white pair was very classy. Think they would be perfect for someone’s wedding.

I only wish I could find these hose in stores around me. Also I wish they were a little cheaper but they are well worth the price.

Pat G

It's almost amusing that this is debatable. There is never one right answer to this question. While I may go without hose if it looks appropriate, another person would be uncomfortable doing so. I may wear hose with one dress, but not another. The style, length, color of the dress will dictate what looks best, also the shoe. A woman who is critical of her legs, ankles, toes may never be willing to wear a dress with no hose, regardless of what other people tell her.

I'm not sure of the generational thing, my teenage daughter and I have been to formal nights where she wears hose and I do not (I'm 51). My legs are still looking pretty good for my age and my DH loves to see my naked toes peeking out. I want to please him more than anyone else.

The only thing I think looks really weird if you wear hose is to wear black hose with any other color of shoes other than black. I have seen women wearing red, ivory, silver, gold or white shoes with black hose. Wear hose that is close to your own skin tone if you wear colored shoes, otherwise it sticks out like a sore thumb. Am I the only one who feels this way?

The only thing I think looks really weird if you wear hose is to wear black hose with any other color of shoes other than black. I have seen women wearing red, ivory, silver, gold or white shoes with black hose. Wear hose that is close to your own skin tone if you wear colored shoes, otherwise it sticks out like a sore thumb. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Nope! I think it looks weird. Whether or not I wear hose depends on if I have to for the shoes or for the dress. If I don't have to and it's warm enough to go without, I don't usually wear it.

A pet peeve of mine...

If you have really ugly feet with cracked heals and unkempt toe nails.... Please wear hose. I don’t care what type of shoe you are wearing. No one wants to look at ugly dry cracked skin. LOL

i agree with the no-hose-w/-open-toed-shoes camp. but while we are talking about black and almost-black hose... my personal pet peeve is black shoe, black hose and a SLEEVELESS/STRAPLESS/SPAGHETTI STRAP DRESS. UGH!!! IMO, if your arms, shoulders and back are bare, so should be your legs (wear nude hose)! i always think women look bizzare when they are bare on top and black on the bottom. but maybe that's just me.

redeyedfrg, I've always thought that, too, but usually get voted off for that thought. I guess it's the reason I don't wear black hose at all, my arms are white and it looks weird to me. If the hose are too black, it makes the whole outfit look cheap and sleazy, at least to me.

I once saw a beautiful woman on a cruise with a gorgeous red dress, tea length. Her whole look was stunning until you got past the hem of the dress, she had on dark black hose and clunky red platform shoes. The look would have been perfect with a bare foot and heeled sandal, or skin tone hose with a simple pump.

Women need to learn there is a focal point when you dress. If the dress is simple, the more dramatic shoe looks great. If you have a frilly, sequined or beaded dress, a simpler shoe will work. We are not wedding cakes, not every inch of us needs to be decorated. Same thing goes for jewelry, too, don't go over the top and wear every piece you've got when you dress up. A simple necklace, or none at all, looks best with sparkly clothes, you're actually better off with just a pair of chandelier earrings. Let your natural beauty shine through.

My vote: wear what you're comfortable with. First two cruises I took pantyhose and didn't wear them. Now, I don't even bother taking them. I do, however, take them for my 8 year old daughter because the shoes she wears are more comfortable for her with the hose.

It's vacation -- don't worry so much about "the rules". :D

Sharlenein from Texas,

I am also like you a person who enjoys wearing stockings especially thigh highs. They just feel good on my legs. I am different in that I am a man who dresses as a woman and have been on many cruises crossdressed. My wife, yes I am married and not gay as most crossdressers are married and not gay, does not like hose, shoes, bras, etc. She does look fantastic when dressed especially on the formal nights. My wife and I sponsor cruises primarily for couples where the husbands who are crossdressers have the opportunity to express their inner femininity. Our last cruise was on the Brilliance February 25 when we had 18 couples and our next a transatlantic cruise on October 17.

Mel aka Melanie

melpeg@mindspring.com

Archived