Baths with young children? Crazy or Not?

familycruiser2011

We are going to Tortola next week are are super excited! Travelling with young kids 5/3/3. We are in port from 9:30 to 7 so have some flexibility regarding ferry schedules etc.

Are we crazy to to the baths with young children? Can we do the hiking? If we don't do the hiking part and just take the taxi around to the beach pool area are we missing all of it?

If we do a beach I am thinking either Long Bay or Cane Garden Bay. Any opinions on which is better for young ones? I think they both have appropriate amenities.

Thanks for any advice!

I wouldn't try the Baths with young children; we first thought about it and then we contacted Tortola Charters; this is what they emailed me and I decided to do the Jost Van Dyke Tour with my family.

The boat ride over to Jost is a very relaxing and scenic cruise - the beach at the Soggy Dollar Bar is rated one of the top 10 in the entire Caribbean and offers free beach chairs, hammocks, shade and restrooms for all of our guests (amenities you won't have at the Baths and lunch is also offered for sale at the Soggy Dollar). When we get to Jost the boat is anchored very close to the shore and you can normally walk down the ladders and walk into the beach about 20 feet away.

The website also says - (This tour is suitable for all ages including infants and non-swimmers – snorkeling is done from the beach and is optional)

From what I've read the Baths has a trail that leads between two bays and it is very difficult; so me and my wife have decided to wait until our net cruise when we are either alone or when the kids are older before we do the Baths; if you book with Tortola Charters http://tortolacharters.com mention my name "ColdCarib"

When we have been to Jost (in the winter) we have had afairly energetic swim to the beach, heavy current etc.Not for theweak swimmer.:( Go to one of the beaches on Tortola and relax! It was so difficult to get to the beach on Jost that we worry the whole time about getting back to the boat!

B.

Archived