Driving in San Juan

CBussey64

I have been pricing vehicle rentals and the prices I'm getting are around 20.00 for each night (pre / post cruise) ... I've heard taxi fares run about that, plus baggage, then getting around in taxi's and buses.

I'm thinking that renting a car would be a better deal, but what are driving conditions like in San Juan.

• 2 weeks later...
No worse than any other big city. The drivers are agressive, and speeds can seem fast, but I never worry about driving when I am in town for business. Rush hour near SJ can get bad just like any other large city.

I had to laugh when I read this reply. We've traveled in lots of big cities like LA where the drivers are very aggressive, but when my husband worked in PR for an extended period of time about 4 years ago we saw aggressive driving in a whole new way. Many Puerto Ricans seem to take a red light as a suggestion and think nothing of breaking traffic laws. We saw drivers do crazy things we've never seen anywhere we've traveled. You need to be a very defensive driver in San Juan especially.

I had to laugh when I read this reply. We've traveled in lots of big cities like LA where the drivers are very aggressive, but when my husband worked in PR for an extended period of time about 4 years ago we saw aggressive driving in a whole new way. Many Puerto Ricans seem to take a red light as a suggestion and think nothing of breaking traffic laws. We saw drivers do crazy things we've never seen anywhere we've traveled. You need to be a very defensive driver in San Juan especially.

Yea red lights seem to be one of the biggest transgressions. In fact the first trip I made there for work, the guy atbthe rental car counter told me to count to five before going on green, it only took one stoplight to understand what e was talking about. Outside of SJ it's not as bad.

Archived