MSC Magnifica - Internet charges & water taxi costs

Poppy1010

I'm going on my first cruise this February on the MSC Magnifica. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much it would cost per min/per hour to connect my laptop to the internet?

Also I'm staying in a hotel in Venice not far from the train station & bus station but I'm not sure how to get to where the ship is. Would a water taxi from the Santa Croce area be expensive or is there an easy & cheaper alternative without too much walking?

I'm going on my first cruise this February on the MSC Magnifica. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much it would cost per min/per hour to connect my laptop to the internet?

Also I'm staying in a hotel in Venice not far from the train station & bus station but I'm not sure how to get to where the ship is. Would a water taxi from the Santa Croce area be expensive or is there an easy & cheaper alternative without too much walking?

From Piazza di Roma (Venice bus station) to ship, take the free MSC shuttle bus ,leaves every 20-30 minutes

Thank you very much. I didn't know about the Shuttle Bus!

I agree with Mbeginner; his family and my family travelled together earlier this month!

SHUTTLE BUS. Take the shuttle from the Piazzala Roma. It is free, but it is not clearly labeled. If you are coming from the train station, exit towards the main canal, then make a right. You will cross a large bridge right away, and find the piazza Roma right on the other side. You will see tons of buses. The MSC chartered buses will park exactly diagonally across the piazza (near the public phones). They just post a small side on the dashboard, so look for them. THey travel back and forth every 20-30 minutes.

INTERNET. It was 4 euros for te first 10 minutes. Then, it gets a little cheaper, but not much. We just used the internet cafes on the ports where we stopped. They are usually about 2-3 euros an hour.

Just back from Magnifica. I bought an internet package - 250 minutes for 60 EUR. Is necessary to have an offline email client, then You can connect just for a minute or two to send/receive e-mail. You can connect/disconnect as many times as You like, there is no minumum connection time. For 12 days was 60 minutes sufficient for me - send many emails, little browse on internet etc. It was not so slow, as I expected, not bad really. Just once there was a problem with the connection - leaving Alexandria. Pay attention - if there is no connection - try about one or two hours later ( not every two minutes as me :-), because You loose some minutes and they don´t reimburse them. Buon voyage !

Thanks to all of you for the information. The internet seems expensive..I have to do a small bit of work while on my hols :(. You all seem to have been on the same cruise as I am going on..Eastern Med...any tips?? Its my first cruise ever.

Hi Poppy,

I also got the 240 min (60 Euro) package and used all of it. I had a couple of work related things to do but did them as documents offline and then attached in emails,

I found it slow, particlarly in trying to connect to our email server, but I was pleased I took the longer package.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My friend and I are booked on the Magnifica for March 24th. While we originally booked this cruise because of the itinerary (mostly Alexandria), we both understand the current circumstances and are thrilled that MSC now plans to substitute Izmir, Turkey and add Athens, Greece in place of one "at sea" day to compensate. I'm really looking forward to this cruise for sure now!!!!

Hi! is there a roll call for this sailing? We arrived in Venice yesterday and were pleasantly surprised to be in the middle of Venice Carnavale. What an experience getting lost among the canal streets and enjoying every moment. Does anyone know where you try to claim your free? water vouchers.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks to all of you for the information. The internet seems expensive..I have to do a small bit of work while on my hols :(. You all seem to have been on the same cruise as I am going on..Eastern Med...any tips?? Its my first cruise ever.

The best thing is to buy a package, look at your pages or emails and save them to read later, compose offline and then send and your minutes will last several days. I was taking a class and I downloaded all my info before the cruise and read and wrote then sent on line. Can't see how to get out of it, Internet cafes at the ports I think are kinda scary, if you do use them, clear the temporary pages off the computer before you leave, delete cookies.

I found that if you want to bring wine to drink that I bought some at duty free in Venice before boarding and they gave it to me through a window after my bags had been xrayed, this is the only place you can do this, after that there is no opportunity to get any wine without it being confiscated.

Another tip, buy lots of bottles of water or soda if you drink it, there are no free drinks on the ship.

Archived