Recent Jewel cruise...my observations

Recently home from what was an enjoyable time on Jewel. I truly enjoy this class of ship and have always received stellar service and this time was no different - with a few exceptions.

The ship is beautiful and staff friendly for the most. Food was okay this time around, not as good as my Oasis cruise in the dining room but certainly not terrible. The only criticism I have of the dining room is the staffing issues that arose halfway through the cruise. My wonderful team of waiter and assistant were replaced by two new individuals who seemed less skilled or maybe simply overworked. The level of service provided by the replacements did not live up to the standards set by their predecessors. I chose to eat in the windjammer after two nights of the new team.

oops...must run for now...will elaborate later...

Food was acceptable in Windjammer for dinner and although it is buffet dining the service by the staff was quite good. Drinks brought to us, refills prompt and even extra food items fetched for us simply because we mentioned how much we liked it. I found the atmosphere sedate and less noisy than the dining room and may give windjammer another go at dinner on my next cruise.

The condition of the ship is quite good, actually too good as part of the aft windjammer outside seating was unavailable to us because of maintenance, and the rest of the ship is kept in good condition. I did notice some stained/worn carpet in some of the passageways but maybe those areas are due for maintenance soon.

Aside from the staffing issues in the dining room, we encountered the type of service we have come to expect from royal Caribbean in almost every other venue we visited. We had a complaint about an item we ordered from seaview cafe and it was handled exceptionally well and our concern was addressed quickly and efficiently.

One complaint that wasn't handled well was a request that staff politely remind people to smoke only on the appropriate side of public decks. We seemed to frequent the same spot on deck 5 as someone who repeatedly disregarded the no smoking signs. Multiple requests that staff do something were unsuccessful in correcting the problem. I suppose the staff can get tired of repeatedly asking the same passenger to move and maybe they gave up. He who smoked wherever he liked did not care about anyone but himself (well, he obviously doesn't care much for himself because he continues to smoke and slowly kill himself but he showed that he cared for those around him even less by repeatedly smoking where he shouldn't)

One of our favorite spots is the solarium. Thankfully no kids allowed in the one on Jewel, unlike what we experienced on Oasis. I prefer the completely covered solarium to the partially covered Oasis solarium as well. A few days of chair hogs during this cruise but we think staff did a good job overall keeping the lounges free for people that wanted to use them for more than just a place to store their hats/books/sunglasses. I had to move someone's belongings from my lounge chair once and never saw the person come back to claim it. Oh well, I suppose they didn't really want those sunglasses anyways.

We arrived at 11:45 am at the terminals and literally walked through the security machine (about 1 pax in front of me), straight to a check-in desk (OK I was in a GS so I was directed to the first available desk as there appeared to be a family of 6 at the Suites desk). Headed straight up the escalator and walked straight onto the ship. No wait.

Had access to the Centrum and Windjammer. We were told we could access the rooms at 1pm so we sat by Lattitudes as we had a late breakfast. Headed to our cabin at 1:05pm and at 1:20pm, hearing a noise outside our cabin, I found our 5 bags had been delivered. At this point I was in totally shock as to how fast the bags arrived. We unpacked and then headed to the Windjammer after 2pm for some lunch, at which time it had emptied out with most pax going to find their cabins or a space by the pool.

I did hear a D+ pax complain that her bags had not arrived at 6pm. Another D pax in the same position did enquire with the Concierge about her bag and was very discreetly told she had to go to the naughty room. She had packed an iron in the bag.

Archived