Water Taxi Just for the Ride?

lochncup

We were in St. Maarten many years ago and stayed at a large resort in Little Bay (I think) that totally washed away after a hurricane several years ago. We explored every bit of the island that year so feel that we don't need to tour it on this visit. My DH isn’t into the beach scene and has some mobility issues so walking around Phillipsburg isn't for us anymore. I wondered if we could just purchase an all day water taxi pass and just go wherever it takes us? Maybe get off to grab a drink somewhere and continue on. Does anyone know where the water taxi goes to?

The water taxi takes you from the cruise ship pier to either downtown or Bobby's Marina; from there you have to walk. It is not a sightseeing ride except for the view as it chugs in from the ship pier. It is not handicap friendly as there is a large step down to board

Thanks, Big B...He has trouble with his gait but think he'd be able to board the taxi (someone had posted a picture of the water taxi so I saw what you're referring to). We enjoyed just riding around the ferries of Bermuda just a few months ago, so I think we'd be content just sitting on the taxi, out in the beautiful waters and just enjoying the view. Would you know if we could bring a beer/soda on board?

Here's a shot of one of the Water Taxis.

th_DSCN3241.jpg

(click)

It's a great Photo-Op, but an entire round trip from the Cruise Facility to the two stops in Great Bay might be less than 20 minutes.

I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a beer or soda on any taxi/bus/excursion.

I'm not aware of any resorts on Little Bay ever being washed away. maybe that was on Dawn Beach?

gary

We just may grab a couple of beers and go back and forth a couple of trips...outdoors, beautiful water, scenic island..how bad can that be?

Absolutely cannot remember the name of the hotel but the last time I saw our travel agent (that trip was taken pre computer days) she told us that the hotel she had booked us into on St. Maarten "blew away during Hurricane ?" those were her exact words. I thought the resort was on Little Bay but DH seems to think it was on Great Bay....can't remember as it was nearly 40 years ago. For sure it wasn't Dawn Beach as we spent that trip driving all around the island and I remember how beautiful and white the sand at Dawn Beach was. If the travel agent was wrong then we may spend our day in St. Maarten trying to track down our hotel, which was in walking distance to downtown.

We just may grab a couple of beers and go back and forth a couple of trips...outdoors, beautiful water, scenic island..how bad can that be?

Absolutely cannot remember the name of the hotel but the last time I saw our travel agent (that trip was taken pre computer days) she told us that the hotel she had booked us into on St. Maarten "blew away during Hurricane ?" those were her exact words. I thought the resort was on Little Bay but DH seems to think it was on Great Bay....can't remember as it was nearly 40 years ago. For sure it wasn't Dawn Beach as we spent that trip driving all around the island and I remember how beautiful and white the sand at Dawn Beach was. If the travel agent was wrong then we may spend our day in St. Maarten trying to track down our hotel, which was in walking distance to downtown.

I'd certainly have no problem riding a few round trips on the Water Taxi. I'd move to a better seat each time as people get off at each stop. Certainly have your camera ready.

If it was walking distance to downtown, then it certainly wasn't Dawn Beach.

40 years ago, really?

We've only been visiting for near 30 years. I'd have to research earlier hurricanes.

gary

Just rode the water taxi a couple weeks ago in St Marteen. It was a QUICK ride - but beautiful water.

If you want to watch the water, there were plenty of outdoor bars just as soon as you got off the taxi and they all had beautiful views.

You are going to love it...no matter what!

Archived