DISNEY DREAM near collision in port

ranger838

It looks like the passengers on the Monarch were at muster, which is why the cameras weren't allowed. That is when the crew wears the yellow vests.... and the walkies were likely a part of muster, as well.

When I first watched the video, I thought the Dream was stationary and the Monarch was moving. :D It does look pretty close, but from what was recorded, it definitely wasn't less than 30 or so feet. Still, 20-30 feet is close for two big vessels.

This has been on the Dis boards for a few days..(the talk about it). It's been debated how close they actually got. And yes they were at muster. Some are saying the boats touched flags, but the way the Dream is shapped, I don't think that is possible.

It looks like the passengers on the Monarch were at muster, which is why the cameras weren't allowed. That is when the crew wears the yellow vests.... and the walkies were likely a part of muster, as well.

When I first watched the video, I thought the Dream was stationary and the Monarch was moving. :D It does look pretty close, but from what was recorded, it definitely wasn't less than 30 or so feet. Still, 20-30 feet is close for two big vessels.

If I had a buck for every time that I kissed paint, I'd be rich.

I wonder if people would start screaming if the hulls touched.

It's actually quite a feat to turn a ship that's over a thousand feet long 180 degrees in a fairly tight basin that's only about 1500' x 2400'. This incident apparently was on January 17th; on that day, Dream was repositioned so that her port side was against the seawall, rather than the starboard side.

Jenseib, you're absolutely right. Totally impossible for the ships to "touch flags" unless the ships contacted stern-to-stern and either crushed about 30 feet of steel on each ship or extended their flagstaffs about 50 feet each. (Plus Monarch's stern when she's docked is very close to the seawall.)

The important thing, of course, is that there was no contact between the ships. "Close" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. :cool:

I'm reminded of that scene from Galaxy Quest where they were bringing the ship out of the space dock. She starts to yaw and grind against the dock.. grinding.. grinding, it seemed to go on forever. I was laughing hysterically because I've been there!

Archived