has anyone ever stayed in these cabins?

chloes nana

Hi! has anyone one here ever stayed in one of the VT spa cabins on the Eurodam. I know that there is only a Juliette balcony, which is fine, we don't really spend alot of time in our cabin anyway. But I would love some feedback from some of my fellow CC'ers regarding the cabins themselves. How they "ride", layout etc. and what the "perks" really are for these spa cabins.

Hello,

We stayed just below in a VQ but we were originally booked in a VT so I was incredible curious about them and snuck a peak at these cabins while on board.

They are actually great cabins, especially for the price. If you are like us, we love being up high and forward. I think it is much more quiet and peaceful in this section. We use our balcony to stand and view out, not really linger so if that's you, I wouldn't hesitate getting one of these. The views are fantastic and you can see the stars at night since there is no obstructions My only concern was having someone stand out on a balcony and be able to see into our cabin. After looking at these on board, I don't think it's a problem.

A couple of pointers.... Do not go on the odd numbered side! The bathroom for the retreat is in that hall, something they don't show on the plans. We stayed in a retreat and I felt bad about the door constantly slamming in their stateroom hallway constantly. The Even side is very quiet. From what I saw, 11010 was the most private, as the retreat is next door and no one can see you. Cabin 11002 is really great because the door to the cabin is actually turned, so that you enter the cabin from the side, not straight in. This helps because you don't have the door in the way of the closet area and bathroom door and it give a greater sense of space.

I would recommend getting a VT and spending a little for your own private retreat cabana next door! After being on this ship, that's what we are doing next time.

As for the spa "amenities". It's really kind of a joke. The only thing worth noting is that you have an ipod dock in your cabin. Everything else is silly. I think they were originally going to let spa cabins have access to the thermo pool but decided against it because they'd be missing out on more revenue. Hence the spiral staircase down to the Thermo-pool. The spa people told me that the eurodam is going into dry dock to have this removed.

A lot of people who like big balconies pooh-pooh the VT rooms, but I think they are in a great location with a fantastic price.

If it helps, you can read my recent review here... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1347296

Hello,

A couple of pointers.... Do not go on the odd numbered side! The bathroom for the retreat is in that hall, something they don't show on the plans. We stayed in a retreat and I felt bad about the door constantly slamming in their stateroom hallway constantly. Cabin 11002 is really great because the door to the cabin is actually turned, so that you enter the cabin from the side, not straight in.

If it helps, you can read my recent review here... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1347296

so I am in cabin 11003 is this right by the bathroom door or down the hall from the bathroom, I guess I am not understanding what you are saying.. what is the retreat?? I have never been on the Eurodam before

Sorry, I'll try to explain more. Here's the link to the Eurodam. http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Eurodam

Click on Deck plans on the right, and change it to the "Observation" deck. If you look at the Observation deck plan, you'll notice the "retreat" just outside. these cabins. The little room behind the elevators, across from cabin 11005, is actually a bathroom for people in the Retreat Cabanas outside. These are private cabana rentals with their own private dun deck. They can be rented daily or for the whole cruise. We rented it for the whole cruise. We loved this area, but we had to use the bathroom in the hallway where your cabin is, on the Odd numbered side. It's just my opinion, but the door kept getting slammed open and closed into this hall, near these stateroom.

Sorry if I'm confusing you, but am I making any sense?

no, no. Not at night. The people are only in the retreat from around 10 to 4. Even at that, there really isn't a huge group of people.

Next time, we are booking a retreat cabana and a VT cabin. That way we can enjoy the retreat, while also getting a great rate on our cabin in the location we want. I hope this has helped and that you can get to chat with someone who's actually stayed in a VT before. When you get back, please post how you like it.

Have a great cruise!

no, no. Not at night. The people are only in the retreat from around 10 to 4. Even at that, there really isn't a huge group of people.

Next time, we are booking a retreat cabana and a VT cabin. That way we can enjoy the retreat, while also getting a great rate on our cabin in the location we want. I hope this has helped and that you can get to chat with someone who's actually stayed in a VT before. When you get back, please post how you like it.

Have a great cruise!

I will! it seems that no one on CC has ever stayed in a VT, I can't seem to get any feedback from anyone who has ever been in one....guess I'll be the first :confused:

and thanks for your insight!! any one else???

i know. it's a little frustrating finding someone that actually stayed in one of these cabins. Regardless, the Eurodam is a beautiful and relaxing ship. I think you will really enjoy it. I think you will really enjoy being up high and forward too. We like it because there is less engine vibration, less noise, and fewer cabins mean less coming and going. Also we appreciate being close to the pool, lido restaurant, and gym/spa area. In the morning, it was a simple walk outside our hallway door to be on the top deck of the ship.

I should mention that I fly on airplanes all day long for work so movement doesn't bother me at all. If you have issues with motion sickness, you should think about being more central.

People swear by mid-ship cabins, but personally, I think it's a bit of a non-issue. When the ship is really rocking, it doesn't really matter where you are. If the waves are high enough, you can feel it anywhere :)

I should mention that I fly on airplanes all day long for work so movement doesn't bother me at all. If you have issues with motion sickness, you should think about being more central.

People swear by mid-ship cabins, but personally, I think it's a bit of a non-issue. When the ship is really rocking, it doesn't really matter where you are. If the waves are high enough, you can feel it anywhere :)

that is really a nonissue, only if the curtains are closed and the waves are busy does it bother me, we were on the Noordam in the Mediterranean at dinner time, they closed the curtains in the dinning room and we were rolling. that bothered me a tiny bit,,,;)

I was also going to ask you, is the Silk den and the Tamarind really on the Observation deck???

that is really a nonissue, only if the curtains are closed and the waves are busy does it bother me, we were on the Noordam in the Mediterranean at dinner time, they closed the curtains in the dinning room and we were rolling. that bothered me a tiny bit,,,;)

I was also going to ask you, is the Silk den and the Tamarind really on the Observation deck???

LOL, yeah...that'd do it :)

Yes, it is on the Observation, but this deck is in two parts and you have to access it via a different staircase or elevator bank. In order to see it on HAL's deck plans, you have to scroll down a bit. It took me a while to find it as well.

As for the spa "amenities". It's really kind of a joke. The only thing worth noting is that you have an ipod dock in your cabin. Everything else is silly. I think they were originally going to let spa cabins have access to the thermo pool but decided against it because they'd be missing out on more revenue. Hence the spiral staircase down to the Thermo-pool. The spa people told me that the eurodam is going into dry dock to have this removed.

You give a great synopsis - They're basically your typical balcony cabin w/ a tiny balcony and lots of "Spa Cabin Amenities" (Junk) on the desk.

Yes, that spiral staircase was very poorly thought out as nobody in those cabins can use the door to the stairs & T-pool without going down to the spa main desk to get the keycard...

But it's the location that's enough to put me off - If the seas are rough at night, you'll be in for one of the most uncomfortable rides ever...

...and I like rough seas!

Archived