Sea Princess in Alaska - June 2011

123Relaxatsea

We are planning on sailing on the 9June2011 10-day r/t SFO and wonder about the number of children on board and weather and the condition of the ship. This will be a budget cruise and will be in an inside. Will we go crazy or are there enough opportunities to view from the deck? Normally, we see the ship as the destination, but want to get to Alaska before it melts. :( What about shorex? Obviously will not be taking the helicopter tour and lunching on the glacier, but what recommendations do you all have?

Thanks!

We are planning on sailing on the 9June2011 10-day r/t SFO and wonder about the number of children on board and weather and the condition of the ship. This will be a budget cruise and will be in an inside. Will we go crazy or are there enough opportunities to view from the deck? Normally, we see the ship as the destination, but want to get to Alaska before it melts. :( What about shorex? Obviously will not be taking the helicopter tour and lunching on the glacier, but what recommendations do you all have?

Thanks!

We did basically the same itinerary (just in a different order) on the Sea Princess last July. For an older ship, she was in very good shape. There were a fair amount of kids aboard, but they didn't bother us. We had a oceanview cabin on Emerald deck, which was one deck below the Promenade.

There are many opportunities for fantastic views on the Sea Princess. The Promenade is nice and wide with teak loungers. The Horizon Court is at the front of the ship with spectacular views. There is a very nice balcony at the rear of the ship (most folks never find it) with loungers. You can also walk onto the bridge wings. There are also the proverbial secret doors forward on Aloha and Baja decks that lead to forward viewing balconies. On Glacier Bay day, you'll want to roam the ship taking in the views.

As for shore excursions, we were on a budget too, so in Victoria, we took the shuttle bus to downtown (you can walk it if you want) and walked around. The Empress is an impressive hotel. In Juneau, we took the blue bus to the Mendenhall Glacier and hiked around. We hiked to the waterfall and saw some bears too. In Haines, we wandered around town. It's very quaint. My son took a bicycle excursion and said he had a great time. In Ketchikan we did splurge a bit and took the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman excursion. That was a lot of fun too. In Ketchikan and Juneau there is ample opportunity to shop at the requisite Diamonds International shops and other shops.

Even though we didn't do any dog-sledding or helicoptering to glaciers, we had a fantastic time and I'm sure we'll go to Alaska again. The scenery is breathtaking. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Thanks for the info! Not worried about kids...have a few of my own.:D

Looking forward to some incredible scenery and relaxing days at sea!

Be aware that the first couple of sea days can be pretty rough leaving San Francisco. You're bucking the current and it can be a roller-coaster ride. We were traveling with a cruise newbie and, while he didn't get sick, he was a bit "green around the gills".

Be aware that the first couple of sea days can be pretty rough leaving San Francisco. You're bucking the current and it can be a roller-coaster ride. We were traveling with a cruise newbie and, while he didn't get sick, he was a bit "green around the gills".

LOL! I love seas! Did a Transatlantic repo in late September. The seas were like an inland lake on a Tuesday morning. Slightly disappointed, on the other hand, it was 14 of the most glorious days of my life! I tend to get seasick from very slight seas.:confused:

Thanks for the tip. I won't pass it along, lest I give the rest of my family something to worry about.;)

In Juneau right around the Mount Roberts Tramway stop there are two companies that offer $14 RT rides to the Mendenhall Glacier that I would reccomend as an inexpensive alternate to Princess. Didn't ride the Tram due to fog the day we were in port but that is $27 for adults and $13.50 for children 7-12.

In Ketchikan there are many sights to see in town such as Creek Street, the short funicular rail car ride to the Cape Fox Lodge for $2 and several places with totem poles.

Only ship excursion we took was the train in Skagway but that is not on your itinerary.

In Juneau right around the Mount Roberts Tramway stop there are two companies that offer $14 RT rides to the Mendenhall Glacier that I would reccomend as an inexpensive alternate to Princess. Didn't ride the Tram due to fog the day we were in port but that is $27 for adults and $13.50 for children 7-12.

In Ketchikan there are many sights to see in town such as Creek Street, the short funicular rail car ride to the Cape Fox Lodge for $2 and several places with totem poles.

Only ship excursion we took was the train in Skagway but that is not on your itinerary.

Thanks!

Also just noticed - I am in SCV. I was just checking out your pictures from that July Sea Princess trip. Absolutely breathtaking! Looks like you all had a great time.

Also just noticed - I am in SCV. I was just checking out your pictures from that July Sea Princess trip. Absolutely breathtaking! Looks like you all had a great time.

Thanks... except for a little rain in Juneau, the weather was spectacular. The naturalist said that we had the best day in Glacier Bay so far that season. :)

Archived