NY/NJ Safe, secure parking on-site...?

coquette

My husband and I, along with my sister, are cruising out of Bayonne in August. We originally wanted to just drive straight to the port, but now we think it would be better to be in the area a day early just in case. Also, my sister has never been to NYC so we might like to use the day before the cruise to walk around New York City.

The problem now is that I am overprotective of my car. I am going nuts searching the web and expedia looking for hotels either in NYC or a non-crime ridden area of NJ where we can safely and securely park the car overnight. The best option would be a hotel with a monitored parking garage on-site, but I don't know if that is realistic. I'd also really prefer to self-park, but I think I have heard that valet is more secure. Sigh.

Two summers ago I had a much older car and we drove to NYC and stayed for a week, parking at an Icon parking garage. We were kind of horrified when we saw how the cars were parked like sardines. I will never forgive myself if we park this car somewhere like that and it gets dented. Or worse, somewhere that isn't secure and it gets stolen.

HELP!

You are obviously not from around here. :)

You are talking about parking your car on the most densely populated ISLAND in the world. Space is at a premium. The valets do this for a living; they park cars that cost more then some people make in a year safely every day. Do you really think somebody who owns a Ferrarri is not going to freak if something happens to their baby? If you are that concerned take photos of your car from every angle with a newspaper visible for the date before you park. Inspect it on return & demand restitution for any damage.

You are going to have more space to park in NJ but NJ is the car theft capital of the world. Although I think I read we are now # 2 . . . . whoo hooo for us. :rolleyes:

Don't leave valuables in the car & you should be OK.

You are obviously not from around here. :)

You are talking about parking your car on the most densely populated ISLAND in the world. Space is at a premium. The valets do this for a living; they park cars that cost more then some people make in a year safely every day. Do you really think somebody who owns a Ferrarri is not going to freak if something happens to their baby? If you are that concerned take photos of your car from every angle with a newspaper visible for the date before you park. Inspect it on return & demand restitution for any damage.

You are going to have more space to park in NJ but NJ is the car theft capital of the world. Although I think I read we are now # 2 . . . . whoo hooo for us. :rolleyes:

Don't leave valuables in the car & you should be OK.

LOL you know there was a theft ring operating out of ten bayonne terminal shortly after it opened....

they had a self park place in brooklyn heights...there was a Ferrari, a Bentley and a Porsche along with 200 or so cars...until the Law school next door which was building a dorm, knocked it down by mistake with the cars inside. That lawsuit is still going on. The garages in NY limit their liability to $25,000 unless you buy extra insurance....

My husband and I, along with my sister, are cruising out of Bayonne in August. We originally wanted to just drive straight to the port, but now we think it would be better to be in the area a day early just in case. Also, my sister has never been to NYC so we might like to use the day before the cruise to walk around New York City.

The problem now is that I am overprotective of my car. I am going nuts searching the web and expedia looking for hotels either in NYC or a non-crime ridden area of NJ where we can safely and securely park the car overnight. The best option would be a hotel with a monitored parking garage on-site, but I don't know if that is realistic. I'd also really prefer to self-park, but I think I have heard that valet is more secure. Sigh.

Two summers ago I had a much older car and we drove to NYC and stayed for a week, parking at an Icon parking garage. We were kind of horrified when we saw how the cars were parked like sardines. I will never forgive myself if we park this car somewhere like that and it gets dented. Or worse, somewhere that isn't secure and it gets stolen.

HELP!

Take a look at the Jersey City Hyatt. Can often be BID on Priceline for $125 per night per room. Valet parking, PATH train to NYC in the same complex. And the views are to die for.

How many hotel rooms do you need? How many nights? There is a 4* hotel on Hotwire in Jersey City for $170 for 8/17 - This would be the Hyatt or the Westin - I think both of them would have a self park garage. If not, there are self park garages in the area. The hotels will charge extra for parking - the Westin says $22 for self park and $30 for valet. These hotels are close to Path, which would be a really quick ride into lower Manhattan and about 15-20 minutes to midtown. We see these hotels on Hotwire all the time - they are super nice and folks really like them.

As others have pointed out, you are coming into a dense urban area and there are no guarantees. However, this area of Jersey City is really buffed up - a lot of companies have back office operations located here. The buildings and garages are relatively new. I did a self park here several months ago at Harborside Financial Center and it was fine - the Avis rental cars were in the garage.

Thanks for the info.

I hope I didn't come off as a snob. I have just only had this car for a few months now and there is really no other option for us but to drive. My husband does have (diagnosed) OCD so security is a huge trigger and we'd just really rather not worry about the car for a full night in the city. I know it probably sounds ridiculous, but it's an actual huge deal to him. Using one of the sardine parking garages in the city wasn't a huge deal when we spent a week there two summers ago only because we had a 10 year old car at the time.

While I realize that NYC has limited space, I wasn't sure if there were any hotels in the area that had their own private parking. Money isn't much of an object on account of the fact that we were only looking to stay one night--I know this obviously isn't something that the average NYC hotel would be able to offer. That's why I also mentioned NJ, wondering if I could find something similar there (but I know NJ has a lot of car theft).

So please forgive me if this came off as a stupid question.

Also, please forgive my naivety but, was there really an issue with a theft ring connected to the Bayonne terminal..?

Thanks for the info.

I hope I didn't come off as a snob. I have just only had this car for a few months now and there is really no other option for us but to drive. My husband does have (diagnosed) OCD so security is a huge trigger and we'd just really rather not worry about the car for a full night in the city. I know it probably sounds ridiculous, but it's an actual huge deal to him. Using one of the sardine parking garages in the city wasn't a huge deal when we spent a week there two summers ago only because we had a 10 year old car at the time.

While I realize that NYC has limited space, I wasn't sure if there were any hotels in the area that had their own private parking. Money isn't much of an object on account of the fact that we were only looking to stay one night--I know this obviously isn't something that the average NYC hotel would be able to offer. That's why I also mentioned NJ, wondering if I could find something similar there (but I know NJ has a lot of car theft).

So please forgive me if this came off as a stupid question.

Also, please forgive my naivety but, was there really an issue with a theft ring connected to the Bayonne terminal..?

Again, for all your concerns with the car-stay at the Jersey City Hyatt and pay for valet parking.

The Hyatt, particularly on the weekends, can be booked VERY cheaply via BIDDING Priceline or via Hotwire (you have to look at the amenities to MAKE SURE you get the Hyatt or the Westin). SAFE area for your car, particularly if you pay for valet.

The Port of Bayonne is safe. They have HEAVY security for who goes in and out. It is a working port and there are some VERY expensive items in the warehouses in that port. We just hauled spices out of there last Thursday at $78.00 per pound. Had to bind extra insurance just to guarantee the shipment to Los Angeles (I am in the commercial shipping business and $78.00 per pound is almost unheard of). You will be safe in Jersey City at the upscale hotels with your car and in the port. Enjoy!!!

Again, for all your concerns with the car-stay at the Jersey City Hyatt and pay for valet parking.

The Hyatt, particularly on the weekends, can be booked VERY cheaply via BIDDING Priceline or via Hotwire (you have to look at the amenities to MAKE SURE you get the Hyatt or the Westin). SAFE area for your car, particularly if you pay for valet.

The Port of Bayonne is safe. They have HEAVY security for who goes in and out. It is a working port and there are some VERY expensive items in the warehouses in that port. We just hauled spices out of there last Thursday at $78.00 per pound. Had to bind extra insurance just to guarantee the shipment to Los Angeles (I am in the commercial shipping business and $78.00 per pound is almost unheard of). You will be safe in Jersey City at the upscale hotels with your car and in the port. Enjoy!!!

Bless your heart. Thank you :) I will definitely let my husband know. I feel so much better.

From what my business associates who have warehouses in the Bayonne port have reported, Bayonne DryDock just about went out of business with all the claims for overspray. And when the spray got on LandAir's trucks, who are in the NJ ports every day and have very fancy mural type paint jobs, all h*** broke loose.

Evidently, Bayonne DryDock can now only spray IF they put up "containment". From what one of the warehouse managers told me, they have some kind of automated portable tarp system-like a big box. He said there hasn't been an overspray problem since their insurance company forced them to contain the spray. Only time will tell.

But the OP was worried about theft and the car getting door dinged. I can't think of a safer place to park than with valet at the Hyatt or Westin, then at the port. Can you???

As I posted, there is a lot of very expensive stuff in a few of those warehouses. One of them holds a lot of booze and wine and another has a lot of electronics. Then there are two warehouses which house exotic coffee and some very expensive spices (who knew spices could be so expensive). My drivers have gone in there to sleep, as it is one of the safer places around the area. Sure don't want my trailers broken into at night. Security is pretty darn good, IMHO.

Archived