Coco Cay Questions

I have a few questions about Coco Cay.....

1) is it possible to rent jet skis and/or kayaks WITHOUT doing the excursion? Not really interested in a "guided tour". esp for kayaking.. let me just go...

2) what is this water playground area that I have heard about? is there a cost? would adults like it, or is it just for kids? If there is a cost, how do i pay... I haven't seen it listed on the excursions links for the cruise.

3) what other money based or "pre-order" things are there to do or experience? How much money should I bring, or do I just charge to my sea pass, or what??

Thanks

Hey there. We were in Coco Cay last year in June. It's pretty close to a private paradise. Anyways, here are the answers to your questions (as best as I can answer):

1) No, not that I know of. Because the island is owned and operated solely by RC, everything on the island is booked through their Explorations! program - no private operators here. However, on a brighter note - everybody I have spoken to has given great reviews for all of the excursions offered here (I can personally vouch for the snorkeling). The only complaint I have heard is about the parasailing - it's a little on the expensive side for the amount of time you are actually up in the sky.

2) When we were there, the Aqua park was a bunch of nifty inflatables in the ocean that you could climb around, jump from, use as trampolines, etc. I believe the price when we went was about $15 per person. I do find it interesting that it is no longer listed at shorex.rccl.com, as it was when we went there. Maybe it's now complimentary? Ask at the Explorations desk when you board.

3) A nicety of this private island is that everything is purchased using your SeaPass, which you have to take with you to reboard the ship anyways. The only "Pre-book" option I would recommend would be the jet ski excursion if you are truly interested - this is a pretty popular excursion.

One other "hint" - snorkeling costs $27 and you can do it as long as you are there. However, if you can pack your own snorkel, mask, and fins, you can go snorkeling for only $6 (for the required black snorkeling vest).

Enjoy your trip!

Radiance of the Seas - 11/05

Majesty of the Seas - 6/04

Thank you. I was worried about having to carry cash that day. I am thinking about bringing my own snorkel. but what is this vest? They require you to use on even if you are on your own??

I bought the vest, too! :) You can get them for not too bad (we snorkle a LOT, though, so it was worth it for us. If you're just planning on going this once, renting isn't a bad idea!

Why do you need a special vest?

We are booked in October on Sovereign and when I researched CocoCay on these boards someone said the water park was gone from the hurricanes last year.

If anyone has been recently, I would like to know too.

grvdiggr71, I'm very interested in the snorkeling at CoCo Cay and was wondering about the marine life you saw there.

Among the usual Sgt. Majors and Yellow Snappers, I was able to spot and photograph:

1. Eagle Ray

2. Sting Ray

3. PUFFER FISH! (I had to produce the picture to be believed there...)

We went right off the main beach area, left (if you're looking from the beach) of the airplane at the large drop off. We found the most rays there. I found the Puffer in the same area under an old boat anchor. Both times were in February.

It's not a bad idea to bring a few bucks with you. I tipped the drink servers on the island when I received a Coco-loco. He popped the top off that cup and poured in about three more shots of rum. That was totally worth the $2 I tipped him!

Coco Cay is very nice....or it was before the hurricane anyhow. The bar-b-Q buffet was wonderful. For a different outlook make sure you take the time to walk to the other side of the island. There were only three other people over there before noon and it was very nice. Early in the day there was a sandbar way out that you could walk out to. And there is a little path in the woods and billions of hermit crabs crawling into the woods to get out of the sun. I found a hammock under a little tree that ended up hanging over the water in the afternoon. There were a couple of very unusual and pretty birds. There were also several stingrays that came up which was neat. Also, floating on the blue mat was like heaven, even though you don't really need the mat at all to float. By afternoon five or six crew members joined our quiet side. It was heaven on earth and I can't wait to go back!!!

ps. Definitely bring some cash for the little shops and tips for the bartenders!!

Re the Jelly lfish question:

No, it's not the 'norm.'

Sometimes they are there, sometimes not.

Only once in eight times have I seen a big number of the larger ones.

On a couple of other visits, there were quite a few of the tiny, tiny variety. (forget what the name of this kind is)

Still snorkeled, but not for as long as usual. Was just annoying to have to constantly be shooing them out o fthe way.

As someone stated above, the vest is entirely for legal liability reasons. Basically, it's a black vest that says "Royal Caribbean" on it that is used so 1) the lifeguards can spot you and 2) as a flotation device. It is deflated so you can swim under the surface, but if you get into trouble you pull the rip cord and it inflates quickly (as a quick side story, a younger snorkeler was listening to the safety lecture on the beach when, out of curiosity, he pulled the ripcord. The lecturer quickly asked him 'Are you drowning here on the beach?' Everybody found it quite amusing). It also has, for lack of a better descriptor, a large straw in which you can inflate the vest partially yourself to help you float in the water, should you desire that.

Jellyfish in Coco Cay were not a problem when we went. There were some of the smaller ones that lack the stingers, but they were few.

In addition to several rays and a lot of smaller fish, we did catch a glance of a small shark in the "Deep Water" area. Also featured are 2 sunken airplanes (one actual, one placed there by the cruise line) and a sunken ship (a disappointment - it's a row of about 4 cannons, and placed there by RC).

Enjoy your cruise!

In addition to several rays and a lot of smaller fish, we did catch a glance of a small shark in the "Deep Water" area. Also featured are 2 sunken airplanes (one actual, one placed there by the cruise line) and a sunken ship (a disappointment - it's a row of about 4 cannons, and placed there by RC).

Enjoy your cruise!

The ship was SO much better before the hurricane in between my 01 and 03. I have some great pictures of me standing on the bow of a pirate-looking ship. It was REALLY neat.

We were just at Cococay on 2/27 and the island is as beautiful as ever. I don't think the water playground was operating but I didn't specifically look for it. My husband noticed that the landscape of the island had changed some on the north side due to the hurricanes, but nothing drastic that would spoil your day on the island.

For those concerned about stomach viruses: RCCL now has a hand sanitizing station located near the BBQ buffet and of course plenty of restrooms with soap and water available.

There is a straw market on Cococay that only accepts cash. If you're still looking for some souvenirs, be sure to bring some cash with you to the island. There were some nice items at some of the stands and I always regret not bringing cash with me.

• 1 month later...

The Aqua Park on Coco Cay is no longer there.....got blown away by the hurricane, although they still feature it on thier in-room video about the island. Lots of disappointed kids reaching the island and not finding the aqua park there anymore.

Archived