Caribbean Duty Free Liquor - Save $$

B_K

Another heads up as result of my recent cruise.

Before purchasing duty free liquor in any of the ports, check what Princess is charging in the on board shop for your choice(s). On Caribbean Princess last week, I was unable to do this before making a purchase in St. Thomas.

I bought quarts of Beefeaters Gin for $13.95 each. I later found that I could have bought it onboard for $9.95, plus there was a coupon in one of the books for an additional 10% off.... Ouch! Learn from my mistake.

Another heads up re liquor - I knew I couldn't carry it on flight, so I asked in store where I bought it if they would pack it sufficiently to be able to be checked on flight home - I was assured they would. AA refused to accept it as it was packed and I had no room to put it in suitcases. At suggestion of very helpful woman at AA ticket counter, I had it wrapped in several layers of plastic (think Saran) at a spot right there in the terminal. Not sure it added much protection and it cost $12 ($3 more per bottle for my 4 bottles...), but it made AA happy and package made it home safely.... at a final cost of $17 per bottle (which is still $11-13 cheaper than I can buy it here).

Oh well, live & learn - check onboard prices and pack it in your suitcases.

Happy cruising.

BK

Archived