Two-Way Radios?

tm5to1

Has anyone ever used two-way radios on board to keep in contact with kids or other family members? Do they work very well? IS there something in particular I need to look for when I buy them? Thanks for all your help!

If you are going to buy them do invest a little more than the cheapies. They will only go about the distance of 20 cabins before they are junk.

We have used them a time or two before. They are good for the quick little info exchange or a "hey quick where are you?" kind of thing. They cut in and out alot and sometimes your channel will be highjacked by some kids or another party.

We found them to be helpful when not in any rooms with phones. Great for sea days when a small party from the big group wonders off.

Has anyone ever used two-way radios on board to keep in contact with kids or other family members? Do they work very well? IS there something in particular I need to look for when I buy them? Thanks for all your help!

We did on our first with the cruise with the kids. Used them the first day and never again after that - waste of money and precious luggage space. We have really good, long range walkies (expensive and purchased at a well known hunting/campting store), but reception was poor. It got really annoying with the static and cutting in and out and I felt like (probably were) we were being rude to the fellow pax. So we just turned them off and would have the kids check in at pre-arranged times and places. So much easier that way.

I got a pair of these from Amazon. Worked quite well. Even when one of us was off the ship in Cozumel. You do want to leave it on for a while and try various channels until you find one that isn't squawking frequently with other people's chatter. Even with the PL activated it will make noise on most channels. The vibrating call feature is handy so you don't have to wonder if that noise was your party calling.

41dFCoSCI8L._SL500_SS75_.jpg

I also brought along some on my first cruise.....there was always other people talking on them just a squawk box really....it was hard to get reception on the ship of any distance....there is a lot of metal on the ship which makes the signal hard to send and recieve......they did work well when we were on land in the ports...but overall not worth packing them again...

Archived