MDR Dress Code

cctimmom

Funny!! :D

Did you try to change tables? He was doing that on purpose, right? He knew the effect he was having on people.

I doubt he noticed anything...he wasn't a big conversationalist, thank goodness. He was too busy shoveling his food down and keeping his locks pasted down on his head.

We did ask if the six of us could get a table together and we couldn't. So we would arrive early and make certain he and his wife were at the end of the table and we would move our chairs as close together as possible. We made the best of a bad situation...but we did agree to take turns sitting near them so we could all share the "bouquet" and it didn't fall on two people to suffer every night.:p

That argument can go both ways...the lines may argue that until the quality of pax goes back to the way it used to be they won't improve the food they are fed.;)

The ol standoff.:p

OK, now I get it, you are just messing around. You really think that RCCL is lowering the food quality because people are not dressing up for them? Really? Really Really? Really Really Really? It never crossed your mind that they are trying to get you to pay more money for better food in the specialty restaurant, really?

Better add my two cents before this thread gets closed, too.

It would be nice if people would make the effort to follow the posted guidelines and usual practice of wearing nicer clothes to dinner than they do during the day. But times have changed. Someone on another dress code thread mentioned the "Wal*Mart-ization" of society, and people don't seem to care anymore.

Someone else said there are other cruise lines for dressing up for dinner. So if I want to sail on the largest cruise ship, I have to accept lower standards.

Oh well. At least my girlfriend and I will make dinner in the MDR special by dressing for it.

EJKorvette on the boards

Better add my two cents before this thread gets closed, too.

It would be nice if people would make the effort to follow the posted guidelines and usual practice of wearing nicer clothes to dinner than they do during the day. But times have changed. Someone on another dress code thread mentioned the "Wal*Mart-ization" of society, and people don't seem to care anymore.

Someone else said there are other cruise lines for dressing up for dinner. So if I want to sail on the largest cruise ship, I have to accept lower standards.

Oh well. At least my girlfriend and I will make dinner in the MDR special by dressing for it.

EJKorvette on the boards

Ditto for us. I interpret the not care attitude as an extension of the "all about me" outlook of life that seems to be prevalent these days and displayed in some of the replies here. I guess it is simply a logical extension of the desocialization of our culture. As with you, and some others here, we also like to make our dinners special.

Ditto for us. I interpret the not care attitude as an extension of the "all about me" outlook of life that seems to be prevalent these days and displayed in some of the replies here. I guess it is simply a logical extension of the desocialization of our culture. As with you, and some others here, we also like to make our dinners special.

That is the point. You like to dress up, EJCorvette likes to dress up, I even like to dress up, but others don't. The question is why do you care what others do? Part of the fun of dinner is seeing how people dress.

I still don't understand why some folks get so worked up over how others choose to dress!

People just don't seem to get it. It's not about how others dress; it's not about chair hogs; it's not about smuggling. It's about good manners or the lack thereof. It's about putting oneself before others. It's about "I paid good money for this cruise and I'll do what I please". It's about the breakdown of society as a whole. The sky is falling and most folks fail to see it (or don't care).

People just don't seem to get it. It's not about how others dress; it's not about chair hogs; it's not about smuggling. It's about good manners or the lack thereof. It's about putting oneself before others. It's about "I paid good money for this cruise and I'll do what I please". It's about the breakdown of society as a whole. The sky is falling and most folks fail to see it (or don't care).

Wow, somebody needs a hug! You are on a CRUISE! Relax!!!:)

OK, now I get it, you are just messing around. You really think that RCCL is lowering the food quality because people are not dressing up for them? Really? Really Really? Really Really Really? It never crossed your mind that they are trying to get you to pay more money for better food in the specialty restaurant, really?

Did it ever occur to you that lines instituted the specialties because they knew there would be certain cruisers that would notice the deterioration of the food quality in the MDR and who would be willing to pay more for the kind of meals they were used to?

They've lowered their cabin prices to allow a greater demographic to get on their ships. They have had to lower costs, in doing so. And they knew that certain cruisers wouldn't find the substandard meals in the MDR to their liking. So they created an alternative.

Used to be if someone was asked to change for the MDR, that is exactly what happened. Now you have pax, who instead of leaving quietly, spew their dictionary of foul language at the crew. You have pax who wear bib overalls..nasty t-shirts..grimey baseball caps...wife beater shirts...you name it..into the MDR. They make no effort whatsoever. None. They are either ignorant or arrogant. I choose the latter. I would hate to think there are that many people who are ignorant of good taste and the basic social grace of honoring a request, for dressing, for a dinner.

Why do you think that lines introduced places like the WJ for meals? Just as they created specialties for certain reasons they also created an area where pax who didn't want to dress for dinner, could go eat in a casual atmosphere. Many pax utilize that area...others feel as though they paid to eat in the MDR and will eat there dressed as they please and disregard the request of the cruiselines.

If pax are willing to accept the kind of food served in a diner and want to dress like they are going to a tailgating party, then they deserve to get the kind of dumbed down meals that reflect the same kind of care they put into dressing to eat them.:)

People just don't seem to get it...It's about the breakdown of society as a whole. The sky is falling and most folks fail to see it (or don't care).

I am not so sure that how people choose to dress means that society is breaking down or that the sky is falling. There are certainly many, many more major issues in this world that are more important that how people choose to dress!

Did it ever occur to you that lines instituted the specialties because they knew there would be certain cruisers that would notice the deterioration of the food quality in the MDR and who would be willing to pay more for the kind of meals they were used to?

They've lowered their cabin prices to allow a greater demographic to get on their ships. They have had to lower costs, in doing so. And they knew that certain cruisers wouldn't find the substandard meals in the MDR to their liking. So they created an alternative.

Used to be if someone was asked to change for the MDR, that is exactly what happened. Now you have pax, who instead of leaving quietly, spew their dictionary of foul language at the crew. You have pax who wear bib overalls..nasty t-shirts..grimey baseball caps...wife beater shirts...you name it..into the MDR. They make no effort whatsoever. None. They are either ignorant or arrogant. I choose the latter. I would hate to think there are that many people who are ignorant of good taste and the basic social grace of honoring a request, for dressing, for a dinner.

Why do you think that lines introduced places like the WJ for meals? Just as they created specialties for certain reasons they also created an area where pax who didn't want to dress for dinner, could go eat in a casual atmosphere. Many pax utilize that area...others feel as though they paid to eat in the MDR and will eat there dressed as they please and disregard the request of the cruiselines.

If pax are willing to accept the kind of food served in a diner and want to dress like they are going to a tailgating party, then they deserve to get the kind of dumbed down meals that reflect the same kind of care they put into dressing to eat them.:)

:eek: So you think RCCL noticed that certain people were not dressing "appropriately" and made a corporate decision to add specialty restaurants so that the customers who did dress up would have a classier place to eat? For extra money of course. It would have been easier to just give everybody the same great cuts of meat in the MDR and strictly enforce the dressing suggestions. I am stunned that anyone would think that RCCL cares how we dress so long as we PAY. It is savy business to give lesser quality food included in your cruise fare and then offer better food for an upcharge. Business decision only, not manners, not class, nothing but business.

I think cruising on RCI has become a very inexpensive vacation option. Where else can you get unlimited meals, lodging and entertainment for less than $100 per person per day. Because it is cheap, people behave accordingly. I'm not complaining because it allows my family to cruise frequently.

We are trying a smaller, more expensive cruise line this summer for the first time. The dress code does not seem to be a topic of conversation on those boards.

.... The question is why do you care what others do? Part of the fun of dinner is seeing how people dress.

You answered your own question.

Of course if I wanted to look at trailer trash, I'd simply go to Golden Corral vs. a cruise.

I think cruising on RCI has become a very inexpensive vacation option. Where else can you get unlimited meals, lodging and entertainment for less than $100 per person per day. Because it is cheap, people behave accordingly. I'm not complaining because it allows my family to cruise frequently.

We are trying a smaller, more expensive cruise line this summer for the first time. The dress code does not seem to be a topic of conversation on those boards.

You will notice a difference in many things. Food..level of service...and demographics of pax onboard.

Enjoy!!

You will notice a difference in many things. Food..level of service...and demographics of pax onboard.

Enjoy!!

I have been following this thread with a bit of amusement. And a few observations have been pointed out.

Level of food quality has significantly decreased.

Quality of passenger's has also gone downward.

Constant complaints about lack of good service, also spiraling downward.

Cut backs by RCI on "Perks" and amenities. Not like the "Good Old Days"

So is the entire image of RCI on the downward spral?

Becoming "Low Rent" or as some mentioned "Wal-Martization"

To expand the fleet, and keep cruises sold out by attracting a more diverse cruising population?

RCI may be chasing people away for reasons other than C&A levels.

I have been following this thread with a bit of amusement. And a few observations have been pointed out.

Level of food quality has significantly decreased.

Quality of passenger's has also gone downward.

Constant complaints about lack of good service, also spiraling downward.

Cut backs by RCI on "Perks" and amenities. Not like the "Good Old Days"

So is the entire image of RCI on the downward spral?

Becoming "Low Rent" or as some mentioned "Wal-Martization"

To expand the fleet, and keep cruises sold out by attracting a more diverse cruising population?

RCI may be chasing people away for reasons other than C&A levels.

Think about it. For years Carnival had the reputation of being booze cruises..attracting nothing but trashy people who spent most of their time drunk and puking in the hallways. They were reviled and looked down upon by other lines. They used to have rock bottom cruise fares allowing more people to cruise them.

They also make a ton of money and manage to sail with full ships.

Maybe other lines figured out that some of the new brand of cruisers don't really care about eating Beef Wellington or souffles...they want cheap fares...and are willing to accept the kind of food and service those cheap fares buy.

They also figured that a certain population would not be willing to accept those kinds of cuts so they built specialty restaurants into the equation, thus giving those that want better meals and service the opportunity to pay extra for them. A win/win situation for RCI.

IMO what lines like RCI are doing is subtley bringing back the "class" system of old. They are offering better meals..better service...to pax who can afford to pay for them. We are seeing roped off areas at pools and shows for those who are frequent cruisers or who are willing to spend alot of money to cruise in suites. The bar-b-que food on Labadee is different for suite pax or frequent cruisers. They have an exclusive beach for those pax as well. The masses are starting to notice those things and some of them resent them. We've seen threads on this board bearing that out.

But I think RCI has no choice BUT to offer those kinds of things in order to keep pax who do notice things like food quality and service levels. Those who are loyal to Royal also expect to be rewarded for that loyalty, as well we should.

Thanks! I'm sure it won't be a permanent move. Three kids in college.

It will give you the opportunity to experience something different and give you something to dream about while waiting for your kids to graduate college and free up all that tuition money.;):D

Think about it. For years Carnival had the reputation of being booze cruises..attracting nothing but trashy people who spent most of their time drunk and puking in the hallways. They were reviled and looked down upon by other lines. They used to have rock bottom cruise fares allowing more people to cruise them.

They also make a ton of money and manage to sail with full ships.

Maybe other lines figured out that some of the new brand of cruisers don't really care about eating Beef Wellington or souffles...they want cheap fares...and are willing to accept the kind of food and service those cheap fares buy.

They also figured that a certain population would not be willing to accept those kinds of cuts so they built specialty restaurants into the equation, thus giving those that want better meals and service the opportunity to pay extra for them. A win/win situation for RCI.

IMO what lines like RCI are doing is subtley bringing back the "class" system of old. They are offering better meals..better service...to pax who can afford to pay for them. We are seeing roped off areas at pools and shows for those who are frequent cruisers or who are willing to spend alot of money to cruise in suites. The bar-b-que food on Labadee is different for suite pax or frequent cruisers. They have an exclusive beach for those pax as well. The masses are starting to notice those things and some of them resent them. We've seen threads on this board bearing that out.

But I think RCI has no choice BUT to offer those kinds of things in order to keep pax who do notice things like food quality and service levels. Those who are loyal to Royal also expect to be rewarded for that loyalty, as well we should.

Exactly! Next step would be entire decks segregated for different levels. Or separate show times, or perhaps dinner times so people won't be offended "Mixing" with the low life.

Titanic??

Think about it. For years Carnival had the reputation of being booze cruises..attracting nothing but trashy people who spent most of their time drunk and puking in the hallways.

If you want to talk about the desocialization of our culture lets start with your statement. I've never agreed with you zealot-like views but this one is so out there that I'm kind of thinking you're either trolling or a socio-economic bigot. You've managed to stereotype a very large population of cruisers who have made affordable cruising possible for ALL. RCI was not known as the family cruiseline back in the day.

Does that mean that every pax who travelled on Carnival was trashy and drunk? If my generation of cruisers had used your stereotyping approach to cruising we would never have tried it because after all, everyone knows that cruises are for the newly wed or nearly dead.:rolleyes:

On the OASIS in January

Going in for breakfast in MDR one Morning, My husband was asked to take his RCL baseball cap off (which he did)

That same evening (Casual) in the MDR, we saw several men and ladies in shorts. One man in shorts AND a tank top--they were allowed in.

I guess it just depends who is "minding the store" at that time.

Over the years , dressing for dinner has become more relaxed.Most of the men and woman looked very nice.

Saw very few tux's in MDR for first seating. Maybe they had more for late seating

If you want to talk about the desocialization of our culture lets start with your statement. I've never agreed with you zealot-like views but this one is so out there that I'm kind of thinking you're either trolling or a socio-economic bigot. You've managed to stereotype a very large population of cruisers who have made affordable cruising possible for ALL. RCI was not known as the family cruiseline back in the day.

Does that mean that every pax who travelled on Carnival was trashy and drunk? If my generation of cruisers had used your stereotyping approach to cruising we would never have tried it because after all, everyone knows that cruises are for the newly wed or nearly dead.:rolleyes:

The poster was referring to the "Reputation", not the fact. carnival has had a certain "Perception", just as the Queen Mary has a different perception.

That's all.

Is RCI's "Reputation" slowly changing, based on one's Perception?

I made a post, based upon everyone else s perceptions they were posting here on this thread, stating on that premise, is there a trend here?

Good lord..get ahold of yourself.:rolleyes:

Ask any travel agent about how they marketed Carnival cruises. They used to be called the "volkswagon" of cruises. Carnival is still looked upon as the "lesser" cruiseline. I didn't say that was my view but was pointing out how they were viewed in the cruising market and in many cases still are.

You haven't noticed that when many people name the "better" cruiselines Carnival is not usually mentioned or is usually at the bottom of the list? They have been working very hard to dispel that view of them and their line. I've said that before on these boards, as well.

So direct your indignation elsewhere.:)

Exactly! Next step would be entire decks segregated for different levels. Or separate show times, or perhaps dinner times so people won't be offended "Mixing" with the low life.

Titanic??

Not so much Titanic as it will be ala carte cruising.

Let pax choose their cabin level and the amenities that go with them. Let them choose a "dining" plan. Give different selections and sample menus. Allow pax to choose their level of dining and pay for it. Or continue to establish finer dining venues and instead of charging the upcharge use those for pax who want finer dining and charge them a set fee for eating their for the duration of their cruises.

There are all kinds of ways to please the demographics onboard a ship. And I think they are heading in that direction.:)

Archived