Kid motion sickness?

vkirkley

Hello Everyone, I will be traveling with my 4 and 8 year olds on our first cruise and I am a little concerned about motion sickness for my little ones. Is there something that they can take to ease any reactions they may have? We are in a mid ship balcony on the Verandah deck.

TIA

I love the SeaBands and will never sail without them. IMO they really do work. They are sold in the Bonine asile along with the other seasick remidies. They come in different colors and have a nice plastic case. I don't see any reason why a child could not wear these as they work on the concept of pressure-points, but you may want to consult the pharmacist. Also I did see seasick orange- flavored-chewable- Dramimine for Children, so you may want to pick this up just in case.

One other thing worth mentioning, we brought on a 12 pack of Canada Dry Ginger Ale. They claim that there is ginger in the soda. This worked wonders as well. You may want to bring on a box of saltines too. This, along with the Ginger Ale may help the children if they start to feel quesy.

Ginger tablets... or 'ginger root'..the brand I bought used with the family is 'spring valley'.. I gave them to the kids nearly every day, and told them that if they felt like it wasn't enough, then I would give them a bonine..it was never an issue...

The capsules are large, but you could probably have them take the contents in a scoop of ice cream, yogurt, or maybe some juice.

They DO have bonine for kids..it could just be a matter of flavoring..

Are your kids prone to motion sickness? If not they will probably be fine. I have one kiddo that doesn't have a problem with it and one that does.

We always use Bonine for kids for the one with motion sickness and it really works wonders and doesn't make her tired or sick. I do wait until we get on the ship though and see how she is doing and how rought the seas are, cause I don't want to medicate her if I don't need too.

Just a note, sometimes the kids bonine is harder to find, but Walgreens pharmasists will normally order it for you.

Our daughter was 8 on our last cruise, and she is very prone to any kind of motion sickness. Poor thing.

We gave her the sleepy-time Dramamine at night before she went to bed every night. She slept like a baby. The next morning I would give her the chewable less-sleepy Dramamine. No problems.

That may not work for everyone, but it's what worked well for us. It probably couldn't hurt to talk to your pediatrician.

ok..for the sake of science ;) I just opened a capsule and mixed the powdered ginger with some water and attempted to drink it..

BLECK!!! There is nothing that will hide that peppery taste! Might work better in Ice cream...

I always buy Gravol Ginger "just in case". It's natural and you can get chewables.

The only place my DD has ever needed it was in St. Lucia on the Cosol tour - crazy roads and the heat did not agree with her! :eek:

Kids are resiliant and seem to get used to the motion much morequickly than adults. For our first cruise the kids wore the motion bands, but didn't need them.

I always buy Gravol Ginger "just in case". It's natural and you can get chewables.

The only place my DD has ever needed it was in St. Lucia on the Cosol tour - crazy roads and the heat did not agree with her! :eek:

Kids are resiliant and seem to get used to the motion much morequickly than adults. For our first cruise the kids wore the motion bands, but didn't need them.

Yep, chewable Gravol is the best. I have given it to my grandchildren and it works like a charm with no drowsiness. Even the "no-drowsy" Dramamine or Bonine still seem to sedate some children. The Gravol tastes decent, the kids are alert, and even curvy roads don't seem to bother them. I give it on a regular basis (two times per day) during a cruise so that no bad effects creep up on them. Once the symptoms are there, it is too late for Dramamine/Bonine. Not so with Gravol. Works within 15 minutes. I order it online. I have heard there are similar products offered at health food stores, but Lord knows I have never set foot in one of those stores:D

Amy

My 9 year old wore the sea bands on our cruise in October...and there were rough seas... Like skirting a hurricane. Whether or not the band truly worked I don't know... But she BELIEVED it did... And that's all that matters. :) She's a seasoned cruiser and this was the first time she ever wanted or felt the need for one.

and the ginger chewable worked that fast?

I also agree Bonine for kids. I've taken my grandson 5 years old on 2 cruises, 3rd coming up in April and Bonine works great. Doesn't make him sleepy. He gets car sick easily, so we were worried when we took him on his first cruise but not one problem with the Bonine. He loves the kids camp and that is on the front of the ship on the Legend and he never had a problem. I went down there with him to do a build a bear and lasted about 10 minutes before I had to leave because I was getting weasy and he was perfectly fine. We also get aft rooms and again not a problem with him. Have a great time. I know the little one will.

Archived