jet ski's in Key West/other info!

jdminark

I looked through the threads and was not able to find this, we really enjoy renting Jet Ski's at various ports and have not been to KW yet, so is there a place to go and do this? Also any info or pricing will be great!!!

we are in port from 10am till 6pm on 3/08/2011 is there a way to see if there are going to be a lot of boats there that day?

Also any thing else I might have missed being a must see here?

Thanks James

I looked through the threads and was not able to find this, we really enjoy renting Jet Ski's at various ports and have not been to KW yet, so is there a place to go and do this? Also any info or pricing will be great!!!

we are in port from 10am till 6pm on 3/08/2011 is there a way to see if there are going to be a lot of boats there that day?

Also any thing else I might have missed being a must see here?

Thanks James

The closest place to where you will come in s Hydr-Thunder right at the end of Duval in front of the Ocean Key Resort...

http://www.hydrothunderofkeywest.com/

There is quite a bit of boat traffic in the harbor there - other jet skis on a tour, fishing boats, sailboats going out for snorkeling or day sails, etc. IMO it would be better to look at one of the guided, jet ski island tours. It's safer and they usually reserve some time for your being able to be on your own in a safe area during the tour.

Pjk

I would skip the Jet Skis and go for the electric cart. Much of what makes Key West special is the island itself. With an eletric cart, you can see all of Old Town and drive around the beaches. Jet Skies are pretty much the same where ever you rent them. Just my opinion, but I would not miss the land side tour of Key West to ride a jet ski.

I found a web site for barefootbillys. They do jet ski rentals and tours.

http://www.barefootbillys.com/ and there's even a $10.00 off (something) coupon there. But IIRC Billy's is associated with either the Reach or the Casa Marina which would put him somewhat far away from the docks.

Pjk

They rent jet skis over by Smather's Beach. I think the electric car rental sounds wonderful. Key West is a beautiful town and and very much worth driving around to take in the sights. Several years back we toured Ernest Hemmingway's home. That was very interesting. I really enjoyed it. And if you are in Key West, you have to go to the Southernmost point to have your picture taken. :)

FWIW you can walk from approx. the docks to the East Martello Tower which is near the airport and about as far away as you can get without starting back in about 2 hours. On a hot day you should bring a bottle of water but there are two places with outdoor fountians along the route. Doing this will show you the Casa marina and Higgs Beach and the White Street pier and West Martello Botanical gardens, then Smathers beach and the east martello tower and Robert the Doll. A route going down Whitehead then over to Reynolds and Atlantic Blvd to Higgs is also a very nice bike ride. You come back up Simonton.

Pjk

Thanks for the continued response, we cruise in 15 days and counting!!! we will have to go the electric car rental route as one of the guys going with us does not walk that well! Anyone know of a deal to rent one? IE coupons or specials? Thanks

Thanks for the continued response, we cruise in 15 days and counting!!! we will have to go the electric car rental route as one of the guys going with us does not walk that well! Anyone know of a deal to rent one? IE coupons or specials? Thanks

Google for coupons with the company your booking with. When I checked into it a couple of years ago, they offered a cruiser's special and met you at the pier.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented one from the company that was right at the pier. Once you book it, they take you by cart from the pier to their store and you will be driving only minutes later. The cart was very funa nd we saw alot of the island in a short amount of time.

Was parking an issue with the electric carts (cars)? We're thinking of doing this since DH has walking issues. Don't you have to park in legal parking places?

pam

Yes parking is very limited and they do require a standard parking meter space.

Mike:)

Archived