Drive through Houston

nlt46

I'll be driving from Dallas to Galveston here shortly. The last time I went, I drove through Houston. The time before that, I drove on a toll road and went around Houston. Can you tell me the road so that I can figure out how to do it again... because I think that it may be better?

Any road warriors out there that can help me?

Nancy

Road Warrior let me think about that a minute... ok I drive Houston everyday so yup I guess I am.

The Beltway 8 will take you around the city. Make sure you have some quarters to pay the toll and not have to wait in the lines for change. You'll exit the beltway to interstate 45 South. Straight shot to Galveston and exit Harbourside Dr. Nancy

Or if you want to skip the tolls and punch through the middle, just ride I-45 straight through. I have done that in the past, but it has been a few years. If little has changed, hitting the north side of Houston about 12:30 to 1pm should let you miss the worst of the traffic and you should hit Galveston by 2:30pm barring "Murphy Moments".

Taking the Beltway 8 around Houston is going to take you way longer and very much out of the way than driving straight through on I-45. If you are coming in on a Saturday or Sunday then you shouldn't have any problems. If it's a weekday, you would definitely want to be south of downtown no later than 3:00 p.m. Check out your route on mapquest or Google maps!

One thing we have done many times before is taken the Hardy Toll Rd. (It's right after you go through Spring, Tx) Go South on the Hardy Toll Rd. until it ends and then follow the signs to 59 South which will intersect on the South side of town with I-45. Go South on I-45...that is assuming you want to go to Galveston or other communites South of Houston.

Taking the Beltway 8 around Houston is going to take you way longer and very much out of the way than driving straight through on I-45. If you are coming in on a Saturday or Sunday then you shouldn't have any problems. If it's a weekday, you would definitely want to be south of downtown no later than 3:00 p.m. Check out your route on mapquest or Google maps!

That tells me nothing has changed since I lived there. :)

Nope...we've lived here for 32 years and it's still a pain to get through Houston if you don't time it right!

I lived there for a bit less than a year in '97. Too many folks! Commuted in on 290 from Copperfield to downtown at 2pm. It was like NASCAR on a long straightaway. If you trade paint, so what, keep going. :eek:

Thanks for the help. We will be coming on a Saturday; so if you think that the traffic won't be too bad, we'll head up the middle to Galveston. We went on a Sunday last time, and things were fine. I do remember that 45 was a killer during the week. At least now I know what the toll road is and I can choose it if circumstances change.

Nancy

Archived