Warning!!! AT&T and cruising

cortneyward

MindTheGap is exactly right. I have had an iPhone since they came out in 2007 and have cruised at least 4 times with my iPhone. You just need to ensure you turn off all data access to the phone...then it will work like a normal phone if you want to make a call. I would recommend for the kids...leave the phones in the car at the port or at home. Text messages will still go thru and it is not $.50 per text. That charge is from ATT...they forget to metion that Cellular at Sea will also charge a fee to ATT on top of the $.50 they quoted you. Your cell phone will clearly state "Cellular at Sea" so you will be able to tell when you have a cell site in port that you can use. Once again, for the kids, leave them at home unless you want the $1500 phone bill again. That is what we do with our 20 year old DD...we tell her too bad, we pay the bill.

Stacy, are you sure about the additional fee from Cellular at Sea? I believe the rates AT&T quoted for phone and text are correct. This is from their web site.

Question:

Will I be billed for roaming charges while I am on a cruise?

Am I billed for roaming when on a cruise and my phone says AT&T?

What are the roaming charges while on a cruise?

Can I make calls from my AT&T wireless phone while on a cruise?

What are Maritime Roaming Service Charges?

Answer:

Wireless Maritime Services, an AT&T joint venture, provides GSM voice and GPRS data roaming services on select cruise ships. AT&T wireless services customers can use their AT&T wireless phone (with compatible frequency) to access this roaming network while on board a cruise ship that provides this service. For a list of participating cruise ships, select the Cruise Ships link on our Wireless Travel Guide tool.

This capability is automatically available to all AT&T wireless services customers. You do not need an International roaming feature on your account to roam from a cruise ship; however, International roaming rates do apply.

When using the cruise ship network, the International roaming voice rate is $2.49 per minute. Data usage is billed at the standard pay-per-use rate (approximately $20.00 per MB).

Keep in mind that:

The cruise ship network is turned on once the ship is at sea. Generally, the cruise ship network is shut down when the ship is within twelve miles of land. The network is turned back on once the network is no longer near the coordinates of a port.

While roaming on the cruise ship, your device will display one of the following: "AT&T," "901-18," "Cellular at Sea," or "NOR-18."

None of the discounted International roaming voice plans apply while on a cruise ship.

The only discounted International data plan that applies on cruise ships is the Business Data Global Unlimited plan.

Domestic voice rates apply while aboard a cruise ship only when it is docked or tendered at a U.S. port.

Voice usage while aboard a cruise ship when it is docked or tendered at a foreign port is billed at the International roaming rate for that country.

For more information on International roaming rates by country, see our International Roaming Rates and Coverage tool.

Their International Roaming Rates guide for Carnival Cruise Lines can be found here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?MNC=CING&CIDL=1578&dropFormChoice=2.49%3B2.49%3B1578&product1rate=%242.49&product2rate=%242.49&x=51&y=5

And the Cellular at Sea web site has this:

Charges, Billing, and Customer Service

Rates for roaming on ships are determined by your home carrier. Please note that calls to 800, 888, 866, and 877 numbers are not toll free. You will be billed by your home carrier for your international roaming usage on your regular mobile phone bill. Typically charges will appear on the next monthly bill, but depending on your carrier it may occasionally take up to 60 days for charges to appear on your phone bill. For more information, please contact your home carrier customer service.*

*You may be charged by your home carrier for calls made to customer service using WMS.

Hope that helps,

Tim

Cortney,

I believe you said you had a Blackberry. Since I have an iPhone, not sure if your device even has an "Airplane mode" option.

But since you say you need to be able to contact family back home, not sure if you saw this thread a few days ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1352666&highlight=att+passport

Personally, it doesn't sound like much of a deal to me, but if you need to keep in contact with the outside world while cruising, then it may be helpful.

Scary stories like this is why I love my El Cheapo Tracfone. DW's "smart" phone was put on airplane mode, turned OFF and locked in the safe for the cruise. OP, thanks for the warning, and sorry for your experience with AT&T.

So, is the problem really with phones that have data services? I was very surprised when my phone rang while I was in Nassau last year. I thought I had all types of roaming turned off. I did answer it because I thought maybe I actually had coverage in the Bahamas. Figured, well, the Bahamas isn't all that far from Florida. :o

My phone actually came in handy, as one of our ports was canceled and another was rescheduled for a different day due to weather. I was able to use my cell phone to reschedule a dolphin encounter we had booked with an outside vendor.

Overall, I think I paid about $20 extra for those calls (had to call the dolphin place a couple of times).

We're on one of the ships that is suppose to port at Belize. So, I was going to call from Grand Cayman to Costa Maya to schedule a back-up tour, if we do end up getting bumped from Belize.

Long story short, maybe I need to check into that idea a little more before leaving.

Hopefully, all will get worked out for you OP.

-pitterpattershoppe

Blackberry does have airplane mode but it's been a few years since I had mine, but I do remember it does. It will be in the settings. I clearly remember this because my blackberry didn't adjust time after changing time zones, which I thought was ridiculous for the 'business' phone! :-)

I use Sprint and will be taking the battery out of my Blackberry, locking it in the safe and leaving it there! I may take it out in Mexico if I decied to take the International roaming plan. Its $4.99 plus $1.29 cents per mintue to call back to the states. But then again, I can also just find a calling station in Mexico and call home cheaper! Come to think of it....Blackberry stays in the safe - NO BATTERY - till I dock back in Galveston!

One question though...when we first board the ship and before it leaves port and we use the phone are we using our own networks or are we using the ships network? I was going to call my daughter once we boarded to let her to talk to her child one last time before we set sail.

So, is the problem really with phones that have data services? I was very surprised when my phone rang while I was in Nassau last year. I thought I had all types of roaming turned off. I did answer it because I thought maybe I actually had coverage in the Bahamas. Figured, well, the Bahamas isn't all that far from Florida. :o

My phone actually came in handy, as one of our ports was canceled and another was rescheduled for a different day due to weather. I was able to use my cell phone to reschedule a dolphin encounter we had booked with an outside vendor.

Overall, I think I paid about $20 extra for those calls (had to call the dolphin place a couple of times).

We're on one of the ships that is suppose to port at Belize. So, I was going to call from Grand Cayman to Costa Maya to schedule a back-up tour, if we do end up getting bumped from Belize.

Long story short, maybe I need to check into that idea a little more before leaving.

Hopefully, all will get worked out for you OP.

-pitterpattershoppe

It seems to primarily occur with Smartphones (i.e.- iPhone, Blackberry, Droid). These phones constantly update themselves with new info, depending on the apps you have.

Using mine as an example, some of my apps are Facebook, CNN, Weatherbug. These sites are notorious for "letting me know" when a friend has left a comment on my Facebook, or when there is Breaking News on CNN or if my zip code is under a Weather Warning on Weatherbug. Each time my phone "let's me know" these things, they are pushing data at me. Normally, in the good ol' US of A, this is covered under my data plan. But when in international waters, my plan is caput, and I get charged international roaming charges on all that data. Hence folks coming home to phone bills in the thousands!!!

If you don't have a smartphone, then when you have your phone on and make a call or receive/send text, then you pay the current rate of Cellular at Sea.

Two weeks ago, to prepare for my cruise, I called AT&T to discuss charges. I told the lady I would be cruising to Mexico and asked the charges. She gave me rates for calls ($2.49 per minute) and texts (.50 each) and told me I could have found that information on the internet. I used the phone for an alarm clock basically since it was locked in the safe on sea days and dead battery while in Mexico. I had turned the wifi off but still had emails and facebook messages coming through, which I did not open. On Friday, sea day, I returned to the room to find a text from AT&T saying my data was suspended to call them. Upon doing so, I spoke with a female who basically told me that I was misinformed as I had a $4000 phone bill. She was very understanding and tried to sign me up for an international data package which would be backdated and cover everything for $120. I wasn't happy about paying that for a service I didn't agree to or use, but it's actually feasible for me to pay that vs $4000. However, once she connected me to international services, I was informed that international packages don't apply to cruise lines. I was told my ONLY option is to wait until my bill comes out and try to work things out then. Yesterday, I called and had my data restored. This morning I had to call again as my service was suspended again. I was unable to even call my voicemail. I will know in about a week the outcome. Hopefully it will be positive as I absolutely cannot pay $4000. Just wanted to warn others of my experience so that no one else will have the same problem

cortneyward,

My wife and I both used our ATT cell phones for texting and calls on our B2B cruise in Oct 2009 and kept them on the entire cruise. Our bill increased by less than $50.

Our sons called to ask how to wash clothes and to ask us to order pizza delivered from the local pizza shop. :rolleyes:

Normally we turn our phones off except for when calling home, but we were cruising without our sons so we had to be available so they could call. On cruises when we don't keep them on the entire time, there has been ZERO increase in our bills.

Our account is from 1989 so perhaps that's why some charges don't ever appear on our bill; there's nothing in our contract / rate plan that covers many features available today.

I use Sprint and will be taking the battery out of my Blackberry, locking it in the safe and leaving it there! I may take it out in Mexico if I decied to take the International roaming plan. Its $4.99 plus $1.29 cents per mintue to call back to the states. But then again, I can also just find a calling station in Mexico and call home cheaper! Come to think of it....Blackberry stays in the safe - NO BATTERY - till I dock back in Galveston!

One question though...when we first board the ship and before it leaves port and we use the phone are we using our own networks or are we using the ships network? I was going to call my daughter once we boarded to let her to talk to her child one last time before we set sail.

While still sitting in port, you'll be fine. You'll actually know when you are out of range because when you look at your phone, it will say "Cellular at Sea."

Maybe it's a silly question but since I plan to go again next year, I'd like to avoid this again... What is "airplane mode"? I turned off my international data roaming as soon as they told me how but haven't a clue what airplane mode is. I did need to be able to receive texts as my grandmother had some health issues. How would that work for the future?

Airplane Mode turns off the radios in the phone, so that it's not transmitting or receiving any data. You will not receive texts in airplane mode. If you need to receive texts, you'll have to leave your phone on and out of airplane mode. Be warned that every time a call rings through to your phone you'll get charged for 1 minute of airtime even if you don't answer. You might consider leaving your grandmother the emergency contact number instead, or else you can call home from the ship's satellite phone for $0.99 per minute if you want to check on her.

cortneyward,

My wife and I both used our ATT cell phones for texting and calls on our B2B cruise in Oct 2009 and kept them on the entire cruise. Our bill increased by less than $50.

Our sons called to ask how to wash clothes and to ask us to order pizza delivered from the local pizza shop. :rolleyes:

Normally we turn our phones off except for when calling home, but we were cruising without our sons so we had to be available so they could call. On cruises when we don't keep them on the entire time, there has been ZERO increase in our bills.

Our account is from 1989 so perhaps that's why some charges don't ever appear on our bill; there's nothing in our contract / rate plan that covers many features available today.

You either clearly do not have smartphones, or you're getting a super-crazy loyalty reward for being with ATT so long.:eek:

Cortney,

I believe you said you had a Blackberry. Since I have an iPhone, not sure if your device even has an "Airplane mode" option.

But since you say you need to be able to contact family back home, not sure if you saw this thread a few days ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1352666&highlight=att+passport

Personally, it doesn't sound like much of a deal to me, but if you need to keep in contact with the outside world while cruising, then it may be helpful.

Thank you! I hadn't seen this thread, as I was actually on my cruise then but I was aware of that package. That was actually the reason I called AT&T, to see what the best option was for me. We weren't using our phones unless my grandmother had other problems (she didn't) so we decided to pay as we went, completely aware and fine with the voice and text charges. Quite obviously, I'm not real great with technology so I just wanted it explained. She just failed to tell me anything about data

I have cruised twice since getting my iPhone and have AT&T. I torn it to airplane mode and turn off data roaming wifi and Internet and still use the phone to listen to audio books and play games and have not had any additional charges :)

yes, you're fine if you just turn it off. However, if you turn it on at some point, then it will push all of the data and you'll be charged for the data. So if you think you're going to turn it on for the clock, an ipod, etc. make sure you also turn the data off and place in airplane mode.

yes, you're fine if you just turn it off. However, if you turn it on at some point, then it will push all of the data and you'll be charged for the data. So if you think you're going to turn it on for the clock, an ipod, etc. make sure you also turn the data off and place in airplane mode.

Thats what i thought, just was not entirely sure. Thanks!

i think if i remember ill turn it to that mode...if not, i have only turned it on once i 3 cruises so i think i can manage to keep it off

its vacation after all!

Airplane Mode turns off the radios in the phone, so that it's not transmitting or receiving any data. You will not receive texts in airplane mode. If you need to receive texts, you'll have to leave your phone on and out of airplane mode. Be warned that every time a call rings through to your phone you'll get charged for 1 minute of airtime even if you don't answer. You might consider leaving your grandmother the emergency contact number instead, or else you can call home from the ship's satellite phone for $0.99 per minute if you want to check on her.

My grandmother had a heart attack a few weeks back (her first serious health issue EVER) and "just to be sure" we had left the number with anyone who might need it. I was under the impression that this was $9.99 per minute, and the ships sattelite phone $6.99 per minute, and that AT&T calls and texts were considerably cheaper...was I wrong about that?

Well, I guess this is one reason not to upgrade to an iPhone anytime too soon. Thanks for the info!

Couldn't people with data plans just stick their chips into an older phone before boarding so they can still use phone service, alarm features, etc., if they want and then put the chip back into their smart phones after the cruise is over?

-pitterpattershoppe

It seems to primarily occur with Smartphones (i.e.- iPhone, Blackberry, Droid). These phones constantly update themselves with new info, depending on the apps you have.

Using mine as an example, some of my apps are Facebook, CNN, Weatherbug. These sites are notorious for "letting me know" when a friend has left a comment on my Facebook, or when there is Breaking News on CNN or if my zip code is under a Weather Warning on Weatherbug. Each time my phone "let's me know" these things, they are pushing data at me. Normally, in the good ol' US of A, this is covered under my data plan. But when in international waters, my plan is caput, and I get charged international roaming charges on all that data. Hence folks coming home to phone bills in the thousands!!!

If you don't have a smartphone, then when you have your phone on and make a call or receive/send text, then you pay the current rate of Cellular at Sea.

if it's on airplane mode, he won't receive emails/calls.

I plan on asking my company to pay for the cellular at sea plan if they want me to be available.

In St. thomas I THINK I was able to use it due to it being part of the USVI.

While in Mexico (we alternate between AI's and cruises), I talked to my boss (who is also my mom) and I easily expensed those charges. Bonus - got to give mom an update after we discussed work! :-)

we have iphones. When we board, we put them in airplane mode. When we get off the ship, we will take it out of airplane mode to check for texts from the pet sitters and make any calls that we have needed to. Doing this, it has only been an additional 20 to 30 bucks more for the cruise. We are still "connected", but we are very careful when we are on the ship.....airplane mode only.

My husband has to leave his on at all times for work. He has the iPhone and should leave it on airplane mode. We have unlimited data, calls, and texts.

We should be ok then, right?

No...I have unlimited calls, texts and data in the US. None of that applies to cruise ships. From what I'm gathering here, airplane mode will turn off all of that and turning off the "data while roaming" will leave calls and texts open but not emails and such. Am I right guys?

A lady in our little group is the tech person for her job and was told by them that she had to keep her work phone on. During the week, she received over 150 emails, I only had 10. Now she has a different network but I'm betting hers is unreal as well

Well, I guess this is one reason not to upgrade to an iPhone anytime too soon. Thanks for the info!

Couldn't people with data plans just stick their chips into an older phone before boarding so they can still use phone service, alarm features, etc., if they want and then put the chip back into their smart phones after the cruise is over?

-pitterpattershoppe

While in Airplane mode, you can still utilize, free of charge, the alarm clock features, ipod feature, etc.....

Archived