Where to Scuba??

anjanetted

I would love some help deciding where to scuba dive. I am on a cruise in June that leaves from San Juan and goes to Barbados, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Marteen. My husband and two sons want to scuba dive somewhere. Well, so do I but my daughter is 8 so I will have some girl time with her I guess! My husband was certified when he was a teenager but has no card and though I have tried to look him up on different archives, I have had no luck. My sons aren't certified either but have been before. I want them to do a dive that they would enjoy and I what them to see the best sites. I would love any suggestions. It would be great to find a place that would let them dive and let me and my daughter swim and snorkel, if anything like that is out there.

I would appreciate any help!!

The best place for them to scuba would be in a pool with a drive instructor before the cruise. Scuba driving can be a safe sport but trust me, you don't want to send your sons on any drive until they have been trained by a competent drive instructor. With out proper training, they might not finish the cruise with you. If it's been that many years since your husband has certified, it would be great fun for him to take a class with your sons prior to the cruise.

If your staying in San Juan for a day or two before your cruise you might want to consider driving in Puerto Rico. My wife and I were there in November and I dove in Silinas, Puerto Rico with a drive shop called Aqua Advanture. It's a family operation and they really do a nice job. The diving was excellent, plus the operator took my wife along on the boat (she doesn't dive). I'm sure he would do the same for you and your daughter. My wife really enjoyed it. They provided transportation, lunch and a lot of sight seeing for her. Their shop is at the San Jaun Bay Marina. Even their driver that took us to the other side of the island made the trip very entertaining.

There are many dive operators in the ports you are visiting that can accomondate you and your family. Your sons will be participating in the Discover Scuba Program and because it's been many years since your husband has dove, it would be wise for him to do the same with your sons. This will more than likely be the case if you cannot find proof of certification.

Do some research, and pick operators with good standings and concentrate on smaller groups.

Good luck and have fun!!

Coki Beach in St. Thomas would be great for your situation. The Coki Beach Dive Club has shore Discovery scuba that your husband and sons can do. All of you can play on the beach and snorkel. It is also right by the Coral World you can visit if you like.

What we did before was to go diving/snorkeling in the morning. After lunch, we (we had a group) arranged for a taxi to take us island touring, with the last stop at Paradise Point for an hour, before getting back down to the ship.

Archived