Did Princess ever change your room, even if it is marked "N0 UPGRADE"?

elmtree

I just read a review of the Diamond Princess where they said they arrived at the ship at 12;30 and found out that Princess had called their TA the night before (they had flown in a day early) and asked if they wanted to move from room E 728 an aft corner with a covered and extended balcony to an AB on Dolphin deck..the TA had said No, but Princess still told the people that they either had to take the AB or go home..so they did and then complained to the purser and had their TA call and complain also. Finally I guess they did get to keep the E 728...But my question is...Is this normal? Have you had it happen to you..

We have E 731, corner Aft with extneded balcony on the Diamond coming up and I sure don't want to find out that I cannot depend on having this room when we arrive..

You read my review. :)

It was certainly irritating! I have a formal complaint being filed through my travel agent to Princess. We expect to hear something in 6 - 8 weeks.

I'll put in update on the board.

Yes I Did! Thanks for the scare! LOL...We are flying in a day early also, and I can just see us having the same thing happen to us..Unreal!

I did not think they could do that to a person....

Thought once you paid for something, it was yours..

That is why I didn't take a guarantee booking..

We stay on top of things, and so does our TA. So, it was a huge surprise finding out that we were upgraded even though we had said "no upgrades."

Any way, friends traveling in E731 the same week had no issues at all. So, I wouldn't stress too much over it. :) If you can help it ;)

Hucc, old man...how ya goin'? :)

Something doesn't add up in all this. On the Diamond and Sapphire, E728 and E731, the desirable minis with big balconies, were coded AE by Princess, instead of AD as the equivalent cabins are coded on the other Grand-class ships. As I understand Princess' system, the AE category is the "placeholder" for minisuite guarantees and is not ever listed as being discounted if one wishes to book either of those cabins specifically. I'm really wondering how you were able to reserve this cabin without paying the premium brochure price and being able to specify "no upgrades".

The reason I ask is that one of the ladies we will be cruising with this summer had a similar issue when booking a minisuite guarantee, and was assigned to E728. She was unable to mark her booking "no upgrades" from that point onward because she booked a guarantee, and was eventually upgraded out of that cabin.

Either your TA booked a guarantee and you didn't know it, or, someone on the ship was trying to do a favor for a friend or VIP. Thankfully it worked out in your favor. I'm just surprised you were able to book that cabin given its status.

hey, spongerob! good to 'see' you...

I think it was the latter.... we really think that someone was trying to do a favor for a friend/VIP/ or someone who offered some more $$$ for it.

We specifically booked E728 and paid no premium. My TA is tops, and would have told me if the room was a guaranty category.

That's exactly what I thought when I read your review. I had to mention the TA because I believe some the booking mills that pass themselves off as travel agencies play those kinds of games regularly. You were right to be steamed. I've never heard of Princess "upgrading" the night before a cruise. I think they do final upgrades just before submitting their manifest 72 hours in advance of sailing.

Well I did pay a premium price the E 731, and I sure hope they don't decide to move me, as I will not be a happy camper! Can't imagine them doing it with such a late notice to you.

That's exactly what I thought when I read your review. I had to mention the TA because I believe some the booking mills that pass themselves off as travel agencies play those kinds of games regularly. You were right to be steamed. I've never heard of Princess "upgrading" the night before a cruise. I think they do final upgrades just before submitting their manifest 72 hours in advance of sailing.

Hi Spongerob

On our first cruise on the Sky Princess we were upgraded from a BB to a full-suite.

We had to pick up our docs at the pier as the TA was notified of the upgrade on the day we left for the airport, and we didn't arrive until day of embarkation...hmmmmm.

We were in E731 the same week that Hucc was cruising :D !! Wonderful cabin! When I checked our e-mails once onboard I discovered our TA had e-mailed us asking if we wanted to downgrade for credit. Because we were already on our way to the cruise she had no way of getting in touch with us and no change took place! I would have turned the downgrade down in any case! I had been looking forward to that cabin forever and had it marked "No Upgrades"! At the time we booked you could book a definite cabin in the AE category (even if there are only the 2 cabins)! It was not a guarantee cabin and was listed at a cheaper rate than the other mini suites. We were booked into that cabin number from day 1 and what joy I had anticipating our stay in it!! The cabin lived up to my expectations in every way! If you haven't already done so elmtree have your TA mark your booking no upgrade! We had no problem doing that.

We were in E731 the same week that Hucc was cruising :D !! Wonderful cabin! When I checked our e-mails once onboard I discovered our TA had e-mailed us asking if we wanted to downgrade for credit. Because we were already on our way to the cruise she had no way of getting in touch with us and no change took place! I would have turned the downgrade down in any case! I had been looking forward to that cabin forever and had it marked "No Upgrades"! At the time we booked you could book a definite cabin in the AE category (even if there are only the 2 cabins)! It was not a guarantee cabin and was listed at a cheaper rate than the other mini suites. We were booked into that cabin number from day 1 and what joy I had anticipating our stay in it!! The cabin lived up to my expectations in every way! If you haven't already done so elmtree have your TA mark your booking no upgrade! We had no problem doing that.

Yes, we have it noted as No Upgrade,,that is why I was wondering why and how they could do that to the previous passenger...This is the cabin we wanted and this is the one I paid for...so this had better be the one we end up in.. Ha..

I have e728 marked as no upgrade aswell as the Father in-laws cabin next door!!! They better not pull any games with me!! Does that sound tough.....working on it.....seems like I am always the one getting rolled over!!

I have e728 marked as no upgrade aswell as the Father in-laws cabin next door!!! They better not pull any games with me!! Does that sound tough.....working on it.....seems like I am always the one getting rolled over!!

SCARED ME!!!

This happened to us 2 years ago on the Golden. We were booked in a BB (assigned) on Caribe Deck and the day before the cruise, my TA called and said we were upgraded to a minisuite on Dolphin Deck if we wanted it. We took the upgrade because it was a minisuite. So I guess it can happen.

We have paid a deposit for a mini-suite, AE category. I was surprised to see this one available at a late date for a popular summer cruise. It was only showing on one "TA" that is more of discount type of website with little service although we are paying a considerable price (something around $5,000 for three people for a 7 day Alaskan cruise).

I don't see where I can designate "no upgrades" on the Princess site. Because our cabin is mid-ship and on Caribe, I wouldn't want to be upgraded to a mini-suite on Baja. But of course we'd love an upgrade to a suite assuming there's no obnoxious noises (but I doubt the ship would place suites near anchor noise, etc.?). With this kind of a no-service TA, are we in danger of being surprised when we dock of an "upgrade" that really isn't what we want?

Archived