Formal Night Kid?

I have three boys and I am dressing them up in black dress pants, white oxfords and a tie. The big question is can I put them in nice black leather Flip Flops? Thanks for the help.

Scott

I have done that. It's not worth the fight or the expense of dress shoes. I couldn't get a tie on the 10 year old one time and he just wore a golf shirt. It was fine - there were lots of teens and tweens in the crowd and few were in formal attire.

Pick your battles.

The only restriction from the cruise line policy is that shoes are required, not what type of cruise. On Smart Casual night, I wore a fancy silk-like Aloha shirt (recommended for the kids if you can't get a tie on them as they look fancier, IMHO) and dress slacks. As I was taught in Hawaii, I wore slippers (what we call flip-flops) since in Hawaii, wearing any other kind of footwear marks you as a mainlander.

Nowadays, many kids like the black Aloha shirts with red flames or dragons on them and that with black dress pants will work well. Kids can get away with more dress variations than adults without being looked down on by neighboring tables! ;)

Archived