Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Question about hair, and maybe I need to start a new thread. I get my hair colored, and I'm in desperate need of a touch-up so I'll be seeing my stylist before we cruise. How bad is the pool chlorine or the ocean on color treated hair?

I do hair, so if you're getting it touched up right before the cruise I'd say be VERY careful. Usually I'd say wait 2 weeks before going swimming (mainly b/c the color still runs a bit when you wash it the first or second time and you won't want it to get in the pool or on your clothes!) but if you must, just make sure when you're finished swimming you wash the chlorine out of your hair right away.

CCFs are all about our cruise clothes, but I can tell from recent posts, that we care about protection from the sun.

The 3 Things That MUST Go on Every Cruise:

sunscreen

sunglasses

a hat

Amen to the hat. Just back from two weeks in the southern Caribbean. DH seems to have mostly taken pictures of me when we were on active excursions where there was a strong potential of getting wet. (Bathing suit with wet t-shirt, he claims that was no mistake.;)) The recurring theme in all the pictures was my hat, it's a hemp Tilley with a chin strap. Packs flat, can get wet and has a chin strap so it stays on even when on a boat. Indispensable.

100_0169.jpg.1cba5e67efa38af8a6217e156289b616.jpg

P1170119.jpg.3a93ad5f3dd396ce628ac368f1649aa3.jpg

Thanks to all who reiterated the importance of sun protection:cool:! NaxieNee: Thanks for the hat tip and photos - you look like a fashionista while blocking those nasty rays.

Bullfrog sunscreen is what my granddaughter w/ sensitive skin uses and many family members have converted. Another great tip!

Lipstick Revelation: I have methodically tested EVERY tube of lipstick in my arsenal to determine which ones make the cruise: each day a different one to see how compatible the color is with different outfits and to know how long it will last.

Only One Made the Final Cut! Maybelline ColorSensational in Pink Peony blends with all outfits and lasted the longest. If I top it with a little Clinique Chubby Stick Chunky Cherry, it looks even better!

I always pack several (at least 6) tubes and don't use them all. This time I will buy one more of the Maybelline (it's a bargain, considering the dept store brands in my drawer). That way I will have a tube in my hanging makeup bag and a tube in my purse.

QUESTION: Do you have lots of lipsticks? Do you take them all?

The Suitcases are OPEN and preliminary packing has begun:)! BTW: The pill boxes are for earrings each day. DH & I are very lucky - no meds for either of us. But the pill boxes are perfect for earrings!

232323232%7Ffp%3B4%3B%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D353977%3B788335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71

I googled the Maybelline Color Sensational lipstick and I think I want to try it out!

I personally take all of my cosmetics. I tend to misplace things easily, especially lip glosses/lipsticks so I need to have back up.

Also I need to have options! I might end up wearing the same color for the whole trip but I'd still like to have others to choose from.

Hi. Just popping in.

I take all my cosmetics. I have one large cosmetic bag and a separate skinny brush bag.

I have probably 8 or 9 shades of lipstick and a few glosses. I just trashed my entire makeup collection and started new with all high end makeup. Best decision, EVER. I now have good quality makeup that applies easily and looks fresh.

For me, lipstick is a mood thing. I wear what feels right for my mood.

I have a hard time deciding what perfume to pack. I'm only taking a few sample vials this trip - I will feel naked without my vast collection to choose from everyday.

Momtoabowhead - I love trying out new perfumes in the onboard shop, and I was specifically planning on purchasing some this last cruise, so I didn't pack any. It was a nice way to wear something for a while and see how it ends up smelling on you after several hours before making a decision on a purchase. I just popped into the shop after getting dressed for dinner and spritzed a bit from one of the testers.

Momtoabowhead - I love trying out new perfumes in the onboard shop, and I was specifically planning on purchasing some this last cruise, so I didn't pack any. It was a nice way to wear something for a while and see how it ends up smelling on you after several hours before making a decision on a purchase. I just popped into the shop after getting dressed for dinner and spritzed a bit from one of the testers.

I did that last trip - I got Lola by Marc Jacobs. I love it!!

Lipstick Revelation: I have methodically tested EVERY tube of lipstick in my arsenal to determine which ones make the cruise: each day a different one to see how compatible the color is with different outfits and to know how long it will last.

Only One Made the Final Cut! Maybelline ColorSensational in Pink Peony blends with all outfits and lasted the longest. If I top it with a little Clinique Chubby Stick Chunky Cherry, it looks even better!

I always pack several (at least 6) tubes and don't use them all. This time I will buy one more of the Maybelline (it's a bargain, considering the dept store brands in my drawer). That way I will have a tube in my hanging makeup bag and a tube in my purse.

QUESTION: Do you have lots of lipsticks? Do you take them all?

The Suitcases are OPEN and preliminary packing has begun:)! BTW: The pill boxes are for earrings each day. DH & I are very lucky - no meds for either of us. But the pill boxes are perfect for earrings!

232323232%7Ffp%3B4%3B%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D353977%3B788335nu0mrj

On the lipstick - I used to have tons too, but am down to three. I have Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 in Sugar Plum. I use this under everything as a base coat, and treatment to make my lips smooth and soft, even at night.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P263909

Then I have two Clinique Long Last Glosswear SPF 15s. Bonfire & Stellar Plum. Between the two of them, they go with everything, last a really long time, and look terrific.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P211616&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=1254

Indiana - LOVE the idea for the earrings in the pill box! I have several sets that may not fit in a pill box, but most would, so that is an outstanding idea.

I have a "Cruise Box" in my closet - it's one of those stiff, fabric boxes, mine is leopard - I have been putting things in there all week. Travel size toiletries, my travel purse, etc.

Less than 3 weeks!!! :D

momtoabowhead: Welcome to CCF! High end (or at least dept store quality) has always been good to me. Glad to hear you are feeling the same:). It's a big advantage to be able to try cosmetics to see what works - can't do that at discount stores!

LEXIpoo: Happy to hear you checked out Maybelline Color Sensational website. Hope you like it as much as I do.

CactusGirly: Thanks for posting your makeup web addresses and happy to hear you liked my pillbox/earring box.

A "Cruise Box" sounds just as good as a Cruise Room. It's a place where you can store cruise items and know they will be ready to make the next cruise. With less than 3 weeks - you are in Final Countdown:cool:!

Swimsuit Dillema: I tried on 3 swimsuits today and asked DH which TWO should go in the suitcase. He said, "Take them all!" He must be coming around to my way of thinking...YIKES, we might need more luggage!!

Edited by indiana71

Indiana - that is exactly what drew me to better makeup. I'm not a snob, but being able to test and still return if you don't like the product is amazing.

That and the gwp/pwp perks are great when they run those specials.

By 'high end' I meant department store. So far I have a bit of the following: Estée Lauder, Lancôme, Clinique, Elizabeth Arden, Clarins and Chanel. I like different products from each line. Most of my makeup is Estée Lauder. I had a full makeover for my wedding and bought a lot of what they used. That is what started my makeup collection revamp.

I have Lola and Oh Lola on my wish list lol. I tried them both on in Miami (post cruise) and couldn't decide which I want. Love both!

I wish I had found this thread before my cruise (eclipse eastern caribbean jan 14) but I found it now, lol!!

I do the same thing pre cruise. Lay everything out, make each outfit, etc. Planning the fashions is part of the fun!

This past trip my bag was a tad overweight and I had to shift a bit to my carryon in the airport, to the annoyance of DH, lol. :)

I do the same thing pre cruise. Lay everything out, make each outfit, etc. Planning the fashions is part of the fun!

This past trip my bag was a tad overweight and I had to shift a bit to my carryon in the airport, to the annoyance of DH, lol. :)

This is what I'll be doing starting next week, trying stuff on and putting outfits together. My guest room is going to become a changing room! We're fortunate to not be flying, we're about 5 hours from the port so we're driving. So no worries about the number or weight of the luggage!

Ok ladies, I might just have a mental breakdown packing for this cruise!

Here's my situation - I'm flying to Houston Friday, where the weather is pretty cool. So I'll need winter clothes for Friday, Sat, and for embarkation on Sunday, and then for debarkation the next Sunday, and for my flight home Monday. So I need FIVE days worth of winter clothing!!! I'm trying to decide if I also need winter clothes for at least the first dinner of the cruise.

Also, because I have to handle my luggage myself, I'm sticking to my wheeled carry-on, a small tote, and a large wheeled suitcase.

Just the shoes are blowing my mind. The combo of warm and cold weather clothes is throwing me off. Well, that and the fact that I normally drive to port and can pack the kitchen sink! Lol

You guys send me some CCF good vibes. The paring down to fit the suitcases starts in the morning!

Curlymason-

I'm sending you good vibes through the computer.

I'm in a similar situation. We're flying out of DC on the 22nd to cruise Liberty on the 23rd. We'll fly back into DC the following Monday, but will be staying in DC for a couple of days while DH does some work related things (he works for the Army). I am trying to figure out what to bring for the cruise, as well as things for the following few days while in DC. To make matters worse, he just told me there will be a work related social event one evening in DC. How am I ever going to fit everything into one not overweight bag and a carry-on?????

First It's Cold/Chilly/Sorta Cool...Then It's Warmer/Hot...how to pack??:confused:

Since we leave mostly from Baltimore or New Jersey, here's what I do:

Debarkation Day: Light colored cords (they're winter weight but warm-weather colors), a long-sleeved knit top and a cardigan (again, light colors). If the temp is in the 40s, I add a jacket (yadayada - light color).

Even in the Snow, I have worn sandals! There's just no way I can bring myself to wear/take boots or winter shoes:cool:.

IF you're spending days in DC, for example, you will need more appropriate winter footwear.

First Night Dinner: It could be cold/chilly outside, but the dining room should be at least 68 degrees. A wrap or sweater cover-up does a good job of keeping me comfortable.

After the 2nd day afternoon, the weather is much nicer and the fun summer outfits come out.

On the return trip when it's cool/cold again, I do the same thing: long light-colored pants, long sleeve top, cardigan.

AND NOW - DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!!!! Today is the ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY for CCF:)! When I made that 1st post, asking if anyone else out there is interested in fashion, what to wear on cruises, etc., I had no idea we would still be going strong with OVER 57,000 hits so far (over 5000 per month):):)!

This is the most fun ever, and most important, we have all learned so much, shared suggestions and ideas. NOT one post has been negative.

All of you who come here, whether once or often, are an inspiration and I look forward to continuing to read, post replies & photos, and have "Aha moments" while counting down the days to The Next Cruise:cool:!

Ok ladies, I might just have a mental breakdown packing for this cruise!

Here's my situation - I'm flying to Houston Friday, where the weather is pretty cool. So I'll need winter clothes for Friday, Sat, and for embarkation on Sunday, and then for debarkation the next Sunday, and for my flight home Monday. So I need FIVE days worth of winter clothing!!! I'm trying to decide if I also need winter clothes for at least the first dinner of the cruise.

Also, because I have to handle my luggage myself, I'm sticking to my wheeled carry-on, a small tote, and a large wheeled suitcase.

Just the shoes are blowing my mind. The combo of warm and cold weather clothes is throwing me off. Well, that and the fact that I normally drive to port and can pack the kitchen sink! Lol

You guys send me some CCF good vibes. The paring down to fit the suitcases starts in the morning!

Cut that down to 2 outfits. Wear one Friday and Sunday, the other on Saturday. Have them cleaned onboard the ship and rewear for the next Sunday and Monday. That way you will wear one, pack one outfit, plus make sure the shoes you wear go with both.

I don't mind doing a bit of hand laundry in the sink, especially in a hotel room as they always have an iron handy. Or, use a fabric refresher, like this: http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=150&id=246

The dining room is temperature controlled. It will be the same temp whether you are in Alaska or the Caribbean. So unless you plan to go outside, don't worry about the evening attire one night from the next. If you do want to go up on deck, simply wear the jacket you wore for travel, there are not many people on deck in the evenings especially if it's cool.

At home I wouldn't dream of wearing the same clothes twice in a week, when traveling it's a whole different story.

I also love makeup, but cut down on that while traveling as well. I take 2 lipsticks, day and evening, I have a Trish McEvoy makeup planner, so I have 14 shades of eye shadow and one blush in one compact, my foundation goes into a .5 refillable bottle, I never need more than a drop at a time. I take one facial cleanser, moisturizer, eye cream instead of day/night brands. I don't skimp on the sunscreen though, more important than any other lotion or cream you pack.

I don't wear a whole lot of fragrance so I don't take any with me. If I want to wear some for formal evenings, I just stop by the fragrance store and just one little squirt on the back of one forearm is enough for me, I then just rub the other one to distribute (I can't stand to have fragrance on my neck, it burns my skin and makes my sinuses flare up). Or, Nordstrom sometimes has "Saturday special" and many times it is a small vial of fragrance, about 1/4 the size of a lipstick, great for travel and you can toss it if you don't want to repack at the end of the trip.

Edited by Happy ks

Cut that down to 2 outfits. Wear one Friday and Sunday, the other on Saturday. Have them cleaned onboard the ship and rewear for the next Sunday and Monday. That way you will wear one, pack one outfit, plus make sure the shoes you wear go with both.

Thanks for the advice! So, I think I'm going to cut it down to 2 pairs of slacks and 3 shirts for winter wear. I'll be staying with my cruising partner and seeing/meeting a lot of her friends while I'm there, so I at least want different shirts. Then I'll rewear them for disembarkation and the flight home. One pair of black Mary jane shoes will work for all of that.

Ok, it's all coming together now! I'm also ditching one swimsuit...I was packing 4, but I'm narrowing it down to my favorite 3.

Ah, the problems we fashionistas have!

Oh, in other news, I found a great deal on some fab costume jewelry yesterday! I ran in Lane Bryant to buy a new bra (it's the only place that carries my size locally!) and they had a great selection of clearance jewelry for 3.99. I went a little crazy, but I got some really cool pieces that match some outfits I was having a hard time accessorizing. Yay!

AND NOW - DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!!!! Today is the ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY for CCF:)! When I made that 1st post, asking if anyone else out there is interested in fashion, what to wear on cruises, etc., I had no idea we would still be going strong with OVER 57,000 hits so far (over 5000 per month):):)!

This is the most fun ever, and most important, we have all learned so much, shared suggestions and ideas. NOT one post has been negative.

All of you who come here, whether once or often, are an inspiration and I look forward to continuing to read, post replies & photos, and have "Aha moments" while counting down the days to The Next Cruise:cool:!

Congratulations on your One Year CCF Post Anniversary!!!! Very cool!:D

Congrats Indiana71! I've often lurked in your thread and it either inspired me and I cheered as the countdown to your vacations meant that mine was closer at hand as well.

I'm telling you I've looked at that picture with your suitcases open on the bed for a couple of days now, but I really wish they were mine. :D

Happy 1 year anniversary!!

Ok ladies, I AM DONE packing!!! I just weighed my large suitcase and it came in at a respectable 38 lbs, so not overweight, and easy enough for me to handle myself. I even managed to sneak in an extra pair of shoes :D and still have enough room to bring home a few souvenirs.

I have a list of 5 things to put in the suitcase before we leave for the airport - small stuff I need in the morning. Otherwise, I think I'm ready to roll!