Can I take the food out from the ship to the individual island?

qiqiangzhu

I disagree with most of you. At MOST of the ports we have gone to, there have been no written messages, nor postings about not taking food off the ship. Please don't Flame me, but I have paid attention and would NOT disregard the rules.

We have gone to beaches where there are no vendors, so at those times we have taken food with us.

Please check the daily paper to find out if it is not allowed; otherwise, it is fine.

I disagree with most of you. At MOST of the ports we have gone to, there have been no written messages, nor postings about not taking food off the ship. Please don't Flame me, but I have paid attention and would NOT disregard the rules.

We have gone to beaches where there are no vendors, so at those times we have taken food with us.

Please check the daily paper to find out if it is not allowed; otherwise, it is fine.

Again, it is not "rules" it is "laws." Most countries have agricultural laws that restrict what foods may be brought into the country. The cruise ship may or may not post this information. Just as the cruise ship generally does not print in the daily newspaper that it is illegal to take items from stores without paying in the local port, if you commit such an act and are caught you are still responsible. If you are bringing fresh food off the ship (i.e. fruit, vegetables and in some countries meat, dairy and other foods) you are risking being fined (sometimes $10,000+), detained and/or harming the host country's agricultural. Do not depend on information in the cruise line's daily newspaper regarding issues of legal vs. illegal in the country you are visiting. If you must bring food into a foreign country, find out in advance of the cruise what may be legally brought.

Hi all! We are in a similar situation. My 3 year old is very picky and we plan to bring prepackaged biscuits and snacks for her from our HOME. We plan to bring our own bottled water.

Are we allowed to take a small carton of MILK from the buffet? We plan to take just ONE because we can't bring MILK from home.

We also plan to bring our own bottled water with us ashore.

Thanks for any info.

Milk (and other dairy products) may legally be brought into some countries, but it is illegal to bring dairy products into other countries. You need to research this prior to your cruise to see if it is legal in some or all of the countries you will be visiting. In terms of prepackaged, make sure they are factory sealed - prepackaged does not mean putting in zip lock bag or tupperware, but means factory sealed (i.e. a granola bar still in the original wrapper).

Milk (and other dairy products) may legally be brought into some countries, but it is illegal to bring dairy products into other countries. You need to research this prior to your cruise to see if it is legal in some or all of the countries you will be visiting. In terms of prepackaged, make sure they are factory sealed - prepackaged does not mean putting in zip lock bag or tupperware, but means factory sealed (i.e. a granola bar still in the original wrapper).

Thanks for your help. We'll stick with factory sealed snacks then. Better safe than sorry. We don't want to break any laws.

We will buy some small pack of snacks for my little girl and a few granola bars for us will be great too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thank you very much. :)

Archived