Another way to save money pre- and post-cruise

timothy998

My DW & I have been using restaurant "dot" com to purchase dining coupons in various denominations for going out to dinner. Often you can buy a coupon with a $25 value for $10 (applicable with a minimum $35 restaurant bill, not including alcohol), but through today, if you type in the offer code LOVE, you get an 80% discount.

These are not usually chain restaurants, but in Fort Lauderdale there are many casual dining restaurants...so we decided to look for something to feed our family the night before our cruise next month.

Using a Valentine's special we just got a $25 coupon for The Deck restaurant for $2.00. Yes, $2.00. This discount is good only through today, maybe Valentine's Day, but my DW just pointed this out to me. If we spend $35 on food, our net outlay before taxes & tip will be $12.00. Not a bad deal.

Fine dining? Probably not, but there are many other options. We're staying at the Doubletree Guest Suites hotel, and this restaurant is less than a mile away.

I too use restaurant.com and love it.We ate at the Deck too.Great location by the beach Try the Alligator tidbits and Lobsterburger yummy! The drinks if you want to have a little souvenier comes in a carved pirate coconut which also serves as a bank GS liked it.

We used the site when we were in Seattle also and found a nice British Pub within walking distance to our hotel.

Enjoy

I too use restaurant.com and love it.We ate at the Deck too.Great location by the beach Try the Alligator tidbits and Lobsterburger yummy! The drinks if you want to have a little souvenier comes in a carved pirate coconut which also serves as a bank GS liked it.

We used the site when we were in Seattle also and found a nice British Pub within walking distance to our hotel.

Enjoy

Sounds good. I think we'll have to get one of the coconuts for each of the kids by popular demand. They're already interested in trying the alligator...not bad for kids 5, 9, & 12!

Good point OP! Note that some of the reataurants that participate are located in hotels so you can save on those dining costs without even leaving the property. I stayed one night post-cruise at the Marriott Habor Beach Fort Lauderdale and their hotel restaurant was 3030 Ocean and restaurant.com had dining certificates. Word to the wise though that carefully reading the fine print is always a good idea as it varies amongst participating restaurants. :)

Good point OP! Note that some of the reataurants that participate are located in hotels so you can save on those dining costs without even leaving the property. I stayed one night post-cruise at the Marriott Habor Beach Fort Lauderdale and their hotel restaurant was 3030 Ocean and restaurant.com had dining certificates. Word to the wise though that carefully reading the fine print is always a good idea as it varies amongst participating restaurants. :)

Exactly...some have minimum purchase requirements for the total tab, many add the tip prior to giving you the bill (which is spelled out before you buy the certificate), and most allow you to use only one coupon per table/party per visit. And some allow only one certificate per month (not a problem for those just visiting).

Exactly...some have minimum purchase requirements for the total tab, many add the tip prior to giving you the bill (which is spelled out before you buy the certificate), and most allow you to use only one coupon per table/party per visit. And some allow only one certificate per month (not a problem for those just visiting).

My downfall with the certificates is I travel solo and they normally, though not always, require a min. of two entrees or a min. spending amount that's harder for a single diner to meet.

That said when I have used them with friends including in Dec. in Vegas the waiter knew exactly what they were and I had no problem at all redeeming it so would encourage others to give it a try as there's very little to lose as OP points out the various discounts bring the certificates in some case down to only a few dollars. :)

Archived