Tentative Shore Excursion plans, opinions very welcome!

Darr83

Hi everyone,

After hours and hours of research, and reading other posts, I think it is time I finalize our shore plans. My husband and I are both a bit of afraid of heights as well as small plans and helicopters, so those types of things are out of the question.

Having said that, below is what we are considering. I would be happy to get anyone's opinions or input on things we may not have considered or missed.

So far for shore excursions I think what we are doing is, in Ketchikan, the duck tour (might sound a bit cheesy but fun anyways). then just strolling around downtown, likely Creek St. then back to the ship.

In Juneau we are renting a car and driving the Mendenhall so we can get there early and avoid the rush. My husband has a hard time walking long distances and will take longer than any tour would allow, and this will also give him the ability to not have to wait around for the shuttle back to town. Then we are going to Tracy's crabshack for lunch, and back to the ship. (only worried about the unfairness of him having to drive and not be able to sight see on the trip there and back).

In Skagway we are looking at the Chilkoot Yukon Rail and bus excursion. It includes the train ride one way (you get to pick which way). I think it includes the same places as Dave. Difference is with Dave you don't have to book the train ahead of time, so if the weather is bad you don't end up paying for the train ride if you decide not to go. My husband and I have never been on a train, so even if the weather is bad, we will likely still want to go. It is $175/person including the train and all taxes, lunch etc.

Prince Rupert, I believe we will only be getting off the ship to get a Tims! Not planning on doing any type of tour or excursion there. Have not really seen one that we were interested in.

Thanks for everyone on these boards for all of the information that has been posted. Definitely made it easier for me to make informed decisions on what to do and see. I couldn't have done it without you!

Darr

Hi everyone,

After hours and hours of research, and reading other posts, I think it is time I finalize our shore plans. My husband and I are both a bit of afraid of heights as well as small plans and helicopters, so those types of things are out of the question.

Having said that, below is what we are considering. I would be happy to get anyone's opinions or input on things we may not have considered or missed.

So far for shore excursions I think what we are doing is, in Ketchikan, the duck tour (might sound a bit cheesy but fun anyways). then just strolling around downtown, likely Creek St. then back to the ship.

In Juneau we are renting a car and driving the Mendenhall so we can get there early and avoid the rush. My husband has a hard time walking long distances and will take longer than any tour would allow, and this will also give him the ability to not have to wait around for the shuttle back to town. Then we are going to Tracy's crabshack for lunch, and back to the ship. (only worried about the unfairness of him having to drive and not be able to sight see on the trip there and back).

In Skagway we are looking at the Chilkoot Yukon Rail and bus excursion. It includes the train ride one way (you get to pick which way). I think it includes the same places as Dave. Difference is with Dave you don't have to book the train ahead of time, so if the weather is bad you don't end up paying for the train ride if you decide not to go. My husband and I have never been on a train, so even if the weather is bad, we will likely still want to go. It is $175/person including the train and all taxes, lunch etc.

Prince Rupert, I believe we will only be getting off the ship to get a Tims! Not planning on doing any type of tour or excursion there. Have not really seen one that we were interested in.

Thanks for everyone on these boards for all of the information that has been posted. Definitely made it easier for me to make informed decisions on what to do and see. I couldn't have done it without you!

Darr

Don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but you DIDask..........

I haven't taken the Duck tour in Ketchikan, but I have in other cities. While it's a blast when you're in town for a couple of days with kids, it would be out of the question for me when I only had a few hours in a port in a place like Alaska. If your budget allows, I would recommend a boat tour to Misty Fjords. Some here also recommend the Bering Sea boat tour.

If your time and budget allow for it, I would recommend adding a whale watch tour in Juneau. It's quite an experience. The two most highly recommended here are Orca enterprises, and Harv and Marv.

We did the 7 1/2 hour train/van excursion to the Yukon and Caribou Crossing with Chilkoot. We had a very long day in Skagway, so decided to have a leisurely breakfast, and miss the crunch of getting off the ship as soon as they clear it. So we opted for the Van start I guess about an hour after the train group left. We had heard that the train is more crowded in the morning, and that frequently it is hazy/foggy in the morning. We wanted the train ride to be without fog. We had some light fog that morning, and it was better coming back on the train, so that worked out. Coming back, our car on the train was probably 75~80% full, but I don't know how that compared to the morning when everyone was going up.

DW & I have a different plan. In Juneau, we're going it alone. We get in port at 2:00pm, so we're going to check out a few shops, then its off to Mendenhall Glacier followed by a stop at the Alaskan Brewing Company, then back to the ship.

In Skagway, we were lucky enough to be two of 10 passengers per ship to book the Golden Glassblowing Experience at Jewel Gardens. http://www.jewellgardens.com/ Since we're in town all day, we'll spend the rest of our time checking out the town.

In Ketchikan, we opted for a trip on the Bering Sea Crab Boat; the Aleutian Ballad. We're big fans of the show "Deadliest Catch" and this particular boat was on the show during season two. It has been reconfigured to accomodate passengers and looks like it should be both educational and entertaining. http://56degreesnorth.com/

We can't wait for September to get here! :D

This is exactly what I was looking for Steve! Thanks very much.

My husband seen a news story about a whale over turning a boat while folks were whale watching, and he absolutely refuses to do that (I know, sounds pretty silly).

He also says "why would we get on a boat for a tour if we are just getting off a ship?" The only arguement I had was that we would see things we would not see from the cruise ship. I am going to look into some of the tours in Ketichikan that you mentioned and see what type of arguments I can come up with for him.

Great suggestion about the Van first in Skagway. I had picked the train first becaue the tour arrived back to port earlier (I have that panic about the ship leaving without us), but I think there is plenty of time.

This will likely be the only time we get to do a cruise to Alaska, so I am trying to make sure we make the most of it, and not being concerned about budget. You certainly can't take it with you.

We were looking at the crab fishing tour in Ketchikan, we both love the series, but again, I got the argument for getting off a ship to go onto a boat. I am going to look at that again and find my arguments :-)

Thanks again. I was certainly looking for folks to point out what I may be missing or what was "wrong" with my plan before I finalized anything. I am starting to panic, seeing other folks with cruises in Sept already booking shore excursions etc.

I DID ask because I did want to know!! Thank goodness I have these boards!

In Juneau, do they not offer the Mendehall rapids tour. That was fun.

I guess the gondola ride in Juneau is out because of the height. Beautiful view if it is a sunny day.

Getting off of a ship to ride in a boat is one of the best things you can do outside of helicopger and float plane rides in Alaska. You can see much more than on the cruise ship. We only did float plane and helicopter tours in Alaska off the cruise ship.

We were in zodiacs in Antarctica with 10 people to a boat and I guess if the whale wanted to he could turn us over, but they seem to have instincts as to who is threatening them and who is not.

I had an orca blow right under the bow of our little ship while I wasn't looking. I don't know how to speak "ORCA", but I think he said: "Watch me scare the sh-- out of this tourist". He did. Orcas are smart.

Small boats are a great way to do tours off of ships.

It is settled! He is going on the Bering Sea Crab Boat whether he wants to or not :-) Much better than a duck tour.

Juneau a day on our own with a rental car to Mendenhall,

Skagway, doing the Van portion first then the train back (we do have the time.

Thanks everyone! I think I have them nailed, finally. I couldn't have done it without everyone here, that's for sure!

Darr

Hmmm....I would reconsider the Duck Tour! I think your original plan - the Duck Tour with a walk along Creek Street is a perfect way to really 'see' the entire area. The Duck Tour is perfect for people who want a really good 'overview' of the area - it has it's cheesiness, after all it is a Duck Tour, but it is unlike all of the 'other' Duck tours, as this is Ketchikan Alaska afterall! haha...

You will be told all about the history of Ketchikan and Alaska in an amusing and informative way. You get to see all of the town, not just hear about the Crab fishing (which isn't done in Ketchikan anyway!), and stop at all of the 'hotspots' in town. Then you cruise through the harbors and get to see the actual fishing boats that work in the SE Alaska waters.

While I agree the Crab Fisherman's tour is good, for other reasons, the Duck Tour is a great overview tour. I have been on the tour many times and it is never over-run with kids, you won't have to worry about it being 'dumbed down'. http://www.experienceketchikan.com/ketchikan-duck-tour.html

For the 'why would I get on a boat' question - it is different seeing the town from a boat low down on the water that on your big cruise ship. The town of Ketchikan is built 'over the water' and is amazing to see. And you can't see it on the cruise ship the way you can on a smaller boat.

Enjoy! It sounds like you have it all planned out!! :-)

Thanks rditton! Dear hubby said NO to the crab boat, so it is back to the duck tour, and I got some great walking maps from one of the other posters for Ketchikan.

If I don't finalize a plan and stick to it, I will drive myself crazy with all the options and my poor hubby too!

The planning is fun though!

Darr

We loved the Duck tour when we were last there. Going with friends to Alaska this year and have suggested they do it too. You get a lot of history. Its also great fun to see all the bald eagels by the cannery. We searched for them on our whale watching tour only to find them everywhere on the duck tour, LOL.

Archived