Carnival Liberty or NCL Epic

lhwils

I am trying to choose between Carnival Liberty and NCL Epic for 2012 spring break.

I have sailed Disney twice. Love Disney but the choices are limited and the prices are just out of control now.

Liberty is coming it at around $2K for a balcony. NCL is coming it at $3K for balcony. Truthfully, we can do without a balcony, but you can see that Carnival it is about $1K cheaper. I wouldn't mind even doing an Epic inside room if it's nice. Both Sail out of Miami.

I like the Liberty interary better. It goes to their private Island, St. Thomas, San Juan, and then grand Turk Island two days at sea.

NCLs itinerary is St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau three days at sea.

I like the Idea of Epic’s Entertainment.

My DD who will be seven when we take this cruise really wants to sail NCL because of Nickelodeon. We have sailed Liberty before without our DD about 6 years ago and it was fun. We know the food on Carnival was good at the time.

Really, I think what we are looking for is a good youth program that will keep our DD entertained. Believe me we love our child but sometimes we need some alone time too. On Disney we couldn’t drag her away from their youth program.

Any guidance here would be welcome.

I can't compare because I've only been on Epic.

I did a post about it down below - my kids are 12 and 5 and there was something for each of them in the kids club - they really enjoyed it. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1345275

The waterslides are top notch and the pools are fun.

In the link in my signature you'll see the Kids Crew dailies for 10-12 and 2-5. Sorry I don't have your age group, but you'll see the kind of stuff they offer. I thought the counselors were top notch and really tried to make every day fun. In that link there's also a sheet of the weekly Nickelodeon activities.

We did the same ports you're looking at on Epic. In St. Maarten we took a water taxi over to the beach right by the ships. It was fun and clean. got 4 beach chairs and 2 umbrellas for $20. They had 6 for $12 beer buckets and food delivered to your beach chair. We sat near "The Firehouse" (it's a restaurant). Food was good. Beach was clean and fun - had a trampoline in the water that was $5 for all day use. You just get a little band to wear. Kids loved it. Did a little shopping on the way back.

In St. Thomas we grabbed a cab over to Magen's Bay. Got 4 chairs for $28. Food there was expensive but drinks were yummy and there was a girl walking up and down the beach taking drink orders. Water was beautiful and kids could swim a ways out. Lots of cabs there for your return. We got back early enough to wander the port area and shop.

In Bahamas we opted to just shop a little in port and then come back on the ship and enjoy the slides and pool with barely anyone aboard. Great choice because the deck was empty and we did the slides over and over. It was a fun day and didn't cost a dime :)

Again, I can't compare the 2, but your daughter would have plenty to do, both with and without you on board. Kids club is fun and there's an arcade.

We saw Blue Man Group and my kids loved it. It was fun for them.

Good luck deciding. We loved Epic so much we booked it again for the Western Caribbean.

Archived