Queen Victoria - Daily Newspaper

bh99mh

:) Can anyone refer me to a copy of the Queen Victoria Daily Newspaper. Many thanks.

Are you looking for something in particular or just trying to get an idea of what it's like? They distribute two things every evening (usually during the first sitting for dinner). One is the daily programme listing events, bar opening hours, restaurant timings and entertainment etc, for the next day. The other is a small affair usually about 4 to 6 sides of A4 that contains news items (mostly from the UK), and things like the stock market results and currency exchange rates. Is it the latter that you want to see?

J

The other is a small affair usually about 4 to 6 sides of A4 that contains news items (mostly from the UK), and things like the stock market results and currency exchange rates.

J

Almost sure the 'newspaper' is printed in several editions, aimed at different nationalities.

The American version always wins wars single-handedly.

THIS IS A JOKE.

Mary

It is the Daily Events paper I was looking for and don't worry I can do 'joined up writing' and I can read 'big words' as I am the editor of a magazine!!:)

Ah, I think the Capn's remarks about big words were actually aimed at me as I tend to be somewhat syntactically challenged and have a desparately limited vocabulary.

Unfortunately, although I have a variety of scanned daily programmes on my work computer, I am now at home and don't have access to them. However, if you seek out some recent posts by the member known as Pb82, you should find a link to his site where he has images of loads of Cunard documentation, including, I have no doubt, many examples of daily programmes. Failing that I can certainly provide you with a couple of examples on Monday if that isn't going to be too late for you.

J

Ah, I think the Capn's remarks about big words were actually aimed at me as I tend to be somewhat syntactically challenged and have a desparately limited vocabulary.

J

No you don't - you run on interminably. On and on you go until, in the end, one loses the will to...

Sir Martin (the late)

'Unfortunately, although I have a variety of scanned daily programmes on my work computer, I am now at home and don't have access to them. However, if you seek out some recent posts by the member known as Pb82, you should find a link to his site where he has images of loads of Cunard documentation, including, I have no doubt, many examples of daily programmes. Failing that I can certainly provide you with a couple of examples on Monday if that isn't going to be too late for you.'

Many thanks. Monday will be fine.:)

Many thanks. Monday will be fine.:)

OK, I've scanned two QV daily programmes for you. Both are from a Baltic cruise in 2008 (but the current ones will only differ in the fine detail). One is for a sea day (on passage to Oslo), the other is for a port day (Gdynia).

As they are multi-page PDFs they don't exactly lend themselves to posting on here so if you could drop me a quick e-mail, I'll send them to you. My e-mail address is:

jimmy[dot]christie[at]york[dot]ac[dot]uk

J

Almost sure the 'newspaper' is printed in several editions, aimed at different nationalities.

I think you may be confusing the QM2's range of newspapers which includes NY Times, Times, Telegraph, Die Welt etc. in broadsheet form, whereas on the QV it is limited to the A4 versions of just a few titles.

However, on all ships, it's only the ship's own paper that's delivered.

I think you may be confusing the QM2's range of newspapers which includes NY Times, Times, Telegraph, Die Welt etc. in broadsheet form, whereas on the QV it is limited to the A4 versions of just a few titles.

However, on all ships, it's only the ship's own paper that's delivered.

Not quite true if! you are fortunate enough to be in a Q1 Suite your butler will deliver to you every morning a I-PAD loaded with the papers of your choice, maybe in time this will apply to all Queens grill staterooms.

On my recent cruise, one day I was strolling through the Winter Garden when I spotted a gentleman reading a rather large tabloid reprint of one of the Fleet Street rags. Since I'm a newspaper hound (subscribe to 3 dailies in PRINT), I asked him where he got the paper.

He aloofly told me the papers were RESERVED for the World Cruise passengers only (the full blow 95 day people). Since I was one of the unclean 1st segment passengers only, I quickly slunk away. Turns out there was a little section in the Winter Garden reserved for the elite cruisers only where these goodies were available. I thought of "crashing" the party, but was afraid I might have to walk the plank if I was caught mixing with the "specials".

In the days after, I saw reprint copies of the WSJ there also. I had to make do with the daily recap from the USA Today which was about 8 8x11 pages. I think it took about 1 minute to read the whole thing. For the British passengers, I think they got either a similar copy of a Canadian paper or maybe a London rag.

Not quite true if! you are fortunate enough to be in a Q1 Suite your butler will deliver to you every morning a I-PAD loaded with the papers of your choice, maybe in time this will apply to all Queens grill staterooms.

Although a choice of daily newspapers is only available in electronic format to Q1 Suites, other QG grade passengers may have a printed abbreviated version of The Times or WSJ (I think). A word with your Butler or the Grills Concierge will ensure daily delivery to your cabin.

Regards,

David

Archived