Dave's trip in Skagway

tobecool

We did a tour with Dave on June 1, 2011. We had a good experience. He was informative, and friendly. He did have to leave one couple behind before the tour started because they had forgotten a passport. He stopped many times and told us to just shout out if we wanted to stop. We ran into Becky and her group at lunch and a couple of other times during the day. She was driving a Suburban and had one extended family with her from our ship. He is concious of his speed and that some people can be nervous going down the mountain. He asked us to let him know if we were at all nervous about his driving. (No one was) We paid at the end of the tour. He honored the $69 price that we were quoted last January even though the tour has gone up to $79.

We had considered taking the train back but decided to stay with Dave. We did see the train and got pictures of it.

Jody

Dave will stop anytime. My son commented about the "smallest desert" as we passed. (really nothing to see) Dave quickly pulled over and told my son to run across it.

I find it odd it wasn't part of his planned stops. Our private vendor made it a stop and we all enjoyed it and it made for some great photos.

Sorry, had to pipe in here as there is a lot of Dave bashing going on. We had the exact opposite experience with Dave last year. Dave is very personable...he's not someone who is going to give you a cookie cutter experience but that's okay with us. There were my husband, 13 year old daughter and I on the tour (as well as others that we did not know) and we found Dave very engaging and down to earth. We never felt unsafe or rushed during our tour.

I think the problem is the confusion and inconsitencies being reported. If you book Dave and he actually shows up, you will likely have a great tour. However, it seems that you are also at risk for him not showing up or getting someone to fill in, who cannot deliver as great a tour. People just have to decide if they want to take the risk or not.

I contacted Dave back in 2008, but ended up going with Chilkoot doing their train/bus combo to Carcross. It was a real highlight of our trip.

In our tour with Dave never once did we think that Dave drove too fast, and my wife is a stickler for that sort of thing.

john

Perhaps the day he seemed to be driving too fast, he got behind his schedule. With these kinds of tours there is no guarentee everything will be exactly the same as other tours were.

Are you southbound from Whitter on Diamond Princess Sept 10? We are, and when the ship docks in Skagway my wife and I would like to make the easy drive up to Whitehorse YK. Good highway that follows the White Pass Railway through Carcross & Emerald Lake. We'll have lots of time for pics, lunch and will have an opportumnity to see far more than some of the folks who take the commercial tours. Trouble is, as Canadians, we're not allowed to take a rental vehicle out of Alaska into Canada. We've already arranged to rent a car and would like to find another couple or single (must have a valid American drivers license) who would like to join us. I'll pay for the rental car and do most of the driving. We are a well-travelled, adventurous retired couple. Email me at rraynham@strato.net and discuss it.

I find it odd it wasn't part of his planned stops. Our private vendor made it a stop and we all enjoyed it and it made for some great photos.

Chances are there is just too much to see in the given time frame. In any given mile there would be something of interest for at least one person.

john

I booked with Becky months ago. i also emailed Dave and she is the one who returned the email. She just got a brand new SUV that holds 8 this past February and she is just starting her business. We booked the 7 hours trip at $100 an hour and yes i agree it is way too high :eek: but at least it's a private trip which my family wanted and she will go absolutely anywhere we want and provide lunch. We are splitting it among 4 of us and because we booked early her web site says you get 10% off so although it's not much it is something. We have done the Chillkoot train up and van back and it was wonderful but my older sons wanted the freedom of driving anywhere they wanted to see everything they wanted by an experienced person who lives there.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived